Debug mode v6

ulimatecube

I just don't get it. Why devs are so bhurt about party debug?  I don't want and don't have time to waste rolling abilities\natures or breeding some moves and ev training. IV password solves almost all of this, but still there is a whole lot of unnecessary grind left to do. 

• Like 1
  • Disregard 1

• Global Mods

Editing Pokemon is often fine, it's when players decide to use debug to "Walk through Walls" or edit some stuff which causes their game to break/softlock in some aspect, and then they believe this is a "bug with the game" and report it to us. If you wish to use debug, more power to you, however please do not report bugs to us if you do. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Posty said:

Editing Pokemon is often fine, it's when players decide to use debug to "Walk through Walls" or edit some stuff which causes their game to break/softlock in some aspect, and then they believe this is a "bug with the game" and report it to us. If you wish to use debug, more power to you, however please do not report bugs to us if you do. 

I really love pokemon fangames like yours, but please consider party debug/autohook/common headbutt/wildencounter rates. Maybe passwords? So everyone will be able to decide how to play.

... Why would you want the common headbutt and wildencounter ones ? Deso has no headbutt trees and the magnetic lure, which does everything the wild enconter rates mod does, is given right at the start of the game for free. Why would you want the same thing on a smoke ball that's available much later ?

Debug is no, not because debug is inherentely bad or whatever, but because we don't want to deal with even more bug reports of people who used debug to reach impossible states. People have historically been bad at mentionning they had debug when posting saves that got stuck because of it, and making debug even more accessible than it already is would be more of that.

There's like, a million simple ways to enable debug in those games without us making it an official thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's not that hard to peek into the .rb files, and find the appropriate IF clause(s) that must be modified.

On 2/20/2023 at 2:56 PM, Posty said:

Alas, I was playing without debug until the many trips to Silver Rise just broke my sanity (I hate that cave; I think i stopped playing the previous version of deso because that winding asfgasd) and I know it was only needed for side-quests, and I think surf makes it easy later in the game, but it unleashed ire deep into my soul that could only be sated by removing the obstacles' meaning.

That's only to say that there are reasons why people like to walk through walls. But yeah, there's not much sense to ask for support when running a modified version.

9 hours ago, Nullspace said:

It's not that hard to peek into the .rb files, and find the appropriate IF clause(s) that must be modified.

I completely understand how players using debug mode could be frustrating for the devs, but I personally would love to have accessibility to Debug Mode!

Which files/IF clauses should be modified? I've already tried adding an exclamation point to $DEBUG in some files, but I still can't get the debug command and party options to show up :\

11 hours ago, JustAnElite_ said:

I completely understand how players using debug mode could be frustrating for the devs, but I personally would love to have accessibility to Debug Mode!

Which files/IF clauses should be modified? I've already tried adding an exclamation point to $DEBUG in some files, but I still can't get the debug command and party options to show up :\

In the Main.rb script file, insert $DEBUG = true between the top two sections and save. The lines in question should look like this:

return Scene_Intro.new(['intro1'], splash)
  end
end

$DEBUG = true

def mainFunction #:nodoc:
  if $DEBUG

Just remember to not be stupid. Don't go screwing around with things like Switches and Variables unless you're 100% sure you know what you're changing or warping around to random maps, keep a relevant number of backup saves in case anything gets corrupted, and if you want to change any of the Script files be sure to keep backups of the original version before you made any changes, just in case you screw up something you can't figure out how to fix and need to revert the changes. And if you want to preserve any challenge whatsoever don't go around giving yourself whatever Pokemon/TMs/items whatever (too far) before you would otherwise have access to them.

• Upvote 1

Is that the only change that's necessary to make? I applied the change to the Main.rb file and saved, but am still unable to see the access to Debug Mode. I also undid all of my changes from the other files that I've tried to modify.

I honestly am really only needing to use Debug Mode for two specific Pokemon:

Spoiler

Lucario and Excadrill (messed up their quests)

I'm assuming I just need to trigger the Debug Menu in the game somehow? I'm playing on Mac btw. 

Yes it should only be the only required change. It should appear as a menu option in the pause menu and pokemon menu.

I have had problems setting $DEBUG to true in several Pokemon Essentials derivatives (depending on the place the assignment is put), mostly because debug prompts the game to build all the resources, mainly the (usually missing) PBS files. I think that Desolation does not use PBS files, but I'm not sure if other things are affected. In some other game, if the variable was set, the player was labeled as cheater. I think deso does not do that, but be careful talking to some NPCs in jail 🙃.

On 3/12/2023 at 10:27 AM, JustAnElite_ said:

Is that the only change that's necessary to make? I applied the change to the Main.rb file and saved, but am still unable to see the access to Debug Mode. I also undid all of my changes from the other files that I've tried to modify.

I honestly am really only needing to use Debug Mode for two specific Pokemon:

Reveal hidden contents

Lucario and Excadrill (messed up their quests)

I'm assuming I just need to trigger the Debug Menu in the game somehow? I'm playing on Mac btw. 

Making the change and saving should be all you need, so I don't know why it wouldn't be activating. I'm assuming you're changing the Script file in the actual program container? Any Script files elsewhere will not have any effect when changed AFAIK. As said above, if the file's been changed correctly, and is still named correctly in the appropriate place, the Debug option should be available in the Pause menu and the Pokemon Party menu once you start the game. If you just want a couple Pokemon, you can either trigger a Test Wild Battle with them and battle/catch them or their pre-evo's normally, or add them directly to your party (but the latter won't net you a Pokedex entry).