Adjusting pokémon base stats, some help would be lovely.

Risakisa

As the title said, I'm adjusting the stats of pokémon, so that all pokémon without any further evolutions have a total of 550 (if they didn't already have higher). It's a simple % increase; if the pokémon's total base stats need to be improved by 20% to be 550, then all of its stats are increased by 20%, with absolutely 0 thought put into it. (except I noticed I was doing shedinja, and I made sure to keep its base HP at 1)

So, anyone know what, if any pokémon would be way OP having its base stats increased? As in, it's a very good pokémon as it is, and increasing its stats would be entirely broken. I can't think of any, but I know that I'm bad so me not thinking of any means very little.

Oh, and if anyone has any further warnings etc. about why making pokémon more balanced in this way is a terrible, counter-productive idea, please let me know ASAP so I have an excuse to not do this.

(apologies if this is the wrong section to post this in)

..actually, turns out that what I thought would work doesn't. I've downloaded the PBS files, put them in a folder called PBS in the main directory, and I edited the pokemon.txt file there. Then I opened the game.exe with debug on, and told it to compile all data. After it was done, I reset the game and... no changes visible. Someone named karvanha said, in a topic called "How to Mod E19" by Feng Lei, that this was the method for editing player battles, and I figured that the base stats for pokemon would be edited in the same way, since it, too, was a part of these PBS files.

So.. how do I put my edited stats into the game? :)

10 hours ago, Risakisa said:

..actually, turns out that what I thought would work doesn't. I've downloaded the PBS files, put them in a folder called PBS in the main directory, and I edited the pokemon.txt file there. Then I opened the game.exe with debug on, and told it to compile all data. After it was done, I reset the game and... no changes visible. Someone named karvanha said, in a topic called "How to Mod E19" by Feng Lei, that this was the method for editing player battles, and I figured that the base stats for pokemon would be edited in the same way, since it, too, was a part of these PBS files.

Did you close the game and reopen it? Pressing F12 to reset doesn't reload all of the data because it is cached I think

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 12:19 PM, Risakisa said:

So, anyone know what, if any pokémon would be way OP having its base stats increased? As in, it's a very good pokémon as it is, and increasing its stats would be entirely broken. I can't think of any, but I know that I'm bad so me not thinking of any means very little.

(assuming stats are evenly distributed but this all generally applies regardless)

Mega Mawile, a top-end OU mon, now gets a 70 point boost. Divide by 6 and round down for 11 per stat and you get a spread of 61/116/136/66/106/61 which is dumb as hell for a mon with Huge Power, strong priority, SD and arguably the best defensive typing in the game. This gets even worse if you boost Mawile and then apply the flat 100 BST boost of its mega stone (which is the better way to do it because you don't get an HP change between forms, keeping things consistent with every vanilla mega), resulting in a disgusting 78/133/153/83/123/78. 133 base Attack with Huge Power reaches a raw stat of 802 (after max EVs, IVs, and boosting nature) - for comparison, the strongest existing physical attacker (Choice Band Kartana) hits 760.

Mega Medicham is in a similar, though less extreme, situation, as are all the other Huge Power mons (Medicham, Azumarill, Diggersby). Easy solution is to just not boost mons that get Huge Power/Pure Power.

There are also some other mons that are really strong for their BSTs with the 6 big offenders being Mega Beedrill, Clefable, Crawdaunt, both Marowaks, and Vivillon. Probably fine anyway though since only Marowak and Vivillon have especially terrible BSTs.

Seel raises the topic of Huge Power mons and lists a few troublemakers. I'll throw out some more mons that are pretty strong with low BSTs:

Sharpedo, Breloom, Absol, Dugtrio, Darmanitan, Hitmonlee, (Mega) Sableye

It would also make Haunter and Kadabra slightly stronger than Gengar and Alakazam, if I'm not screwing up my math haha. Kadabra would end up with a spread of 65/60/55/145/95/130 (+25 in every stat), while Alakazam would have 64/59/54/139/104/129 (+9)

While certain mons would become too insane (*cough* Mawile *cough*) I think blanket buffs like this make for an interesting change in dynamic, and discovering which mons (maybe unexpectedly) benefitted the most is interesting. Could see it being fun for a playthrough—it might spice up which boss fights become the hardest

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1