Help with puzzle (postgame spoilers) [solved]

Rozetheeuwu

Spoiler

Okay so I'm in victory road with Bennet for the victini sidequest, but there is a gem puzzle again. When going through victory road in main game I looked at a guide for the result because I genuinely don't understand what I have to do. Could someone help me? Like you don't have to give me the answer, but just explain to me how it works and maybe I can figure it out?

EDIT: despite the answers I simply do not understand the puzzle. I can't wrap my head around it so if someone has a guide/solution I would appreciate it

33 minutes ago, Rozetheeuwu said:
  Hide contents

Okay so I'm in victory road with Bennet for the victini sidequest, but there is a gem puzzle again. When going through victory road in main game I looked at a guide for the result because I genuinely don't understand what I have to do. Could someone help me? Like you don't have to give me the answer, but just explain to me how it works and maybe I can figure it out?

it's genuinely the same as before with the exception that some possibilities are blocked by rocks (though that rules them out as possible answers so you can work with that) just that it's also more confusing.

When you interact with the panels on the north side of the map, just above the sliders, you see the parameters describing each gem and their values from left to right. The parameter's value (e.g. size) should be represented with each gem, set in the right place on the sliders (from the smallest to the biggest), using the clues the character gives you. Important thing is, no two gems can share the same value of a parameter, so no two "large" gems, only one gem can be the hardest, etc. For instance, when the clue says "emerald is larger than sapphire which is larger than ruby" and the other clue says "amethyst is the smallest gem", you know the correct order for size is amethyst - ruby - sapphire - emerald. This is not that straightforward of course, the clues often cover many categories at once, so e.g. it wouldnt be "amethyst is the smallest gem", but more like "the hardest gem is the smallest" and via another clue you know that amethyst is the hardest, what implies which one is the smallest.

Most oftentimes the clues are kinda vague, e.g. they can be applied to two gems at once - in such case you need to find another clue that rules out one of the options. I suggest finding first the most firm clue. I always liked this kind of puzzle, for reborn I used an excel spreadsheet: I copied the gems and their parameters grid and used it to fill in the options the clues gave me (never needed more than two sets of data, but it is up to you how you do it). If you like, you can do it with pen and paper. I knew this type of quiz before, but I must admit when Florinia explains this at first in her usual manner, it may be confusing.