The AI?

Tobi

Artificial intelligence still seems to be a bit... Erratic? Wild pokemon use moves against you that you highly resist, even though they have ones that can hit you effectively! And they do not follow patterns, that can put their movepool to the best possible use. They are completely messed up, almost remind of main, canon pokemon games :'(

And way too stingy, concerning trainers? Why do they have to opt to their weakest move, whenever your health drops? This is beyond lenient, at least in previous versions, they would do that at 1/3 of your pokemon lifebar, now they do so at slightly under 1/2. Plus, early trainers -even rival encounters-, never use healing items on their pokemon, not even once.

Since the AI is considered to be now finalized and similar discussions occured over the years, this has to be intended, no?

The wild pokemon thing is intended behaviour, there is even an NPC somewhere that tells you that wild pokemons have a favourite move that they tend to prioritize over the rest. I don't know why the developers did this, but one positive is that now not every geodude wants to go boom on you.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm 1

18 minutes ago, Norin said:

The wild pokemon thing is intended behaviour, there is even an NPC somewhere that tells you that wild pokemons have a favourite move that they tend to prioritize over the rest. I don't know why the developers did this, but one positive is that now not every geodude wants to go boom on you.

That's sad... Too much convenience + quality of life changes = oversimplification :'(

Now nobody will seek the relative ability to prevent geodudes from going boom on you, or a half-decent strategy for capturing wilds. I honestly wonder how many people could have nagged for Reborn being difficult, before the devs decided to change the AI. Everything until episode 16 worked pretty well, there were no shortcuts, players needed to think outside the box. I bet, expanding the audience/playerbase, always has some cost.

That still doesn't explain the enemy trainers suddenly going weak on you and forgetting all about their medicines, though :'(

Edited by Tobi

5 minutes ago, Norin said:

If you want, there are passwords that make the game more difficult, such as giving every trainer pokemon full IVs and 252 EVs in every stat, or blocking you from using items and so on.

Eh! Gimme PLEASE! I know the fullevs already; what is the one which maximazes enemy IVs???

• Veterans
8 hours ago, Tobi said:

Artificial intelligence still seems to be a bit... Erratic? Wild pokemon use moves against you that you highly resist, even though they have ones that can hit you effectively! And they do not follow patterns, that can put their movepool to the best possible use. They are completely messed up, almost remind of main, canon pokemon games :'(

And way too stingy, concerning trainers? Why do they have to opt to their weakest move, whenever your health drops? This is beyond lenient, at least in previous versions, they would do that at 1/3 of your pokemon lifebar, now they do so at slightly under 1/2. Plus, early trainers -even rival encounters-, never use healing items on their pokemon, not even once.

Since the AI is considered to be now finalized and similar discussions occured over the years, this has to be intended, no?

:'(

no we're still here to fix up the ai, bud. c'mon now. this wasn't funny before, and it's not funny now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tobi said:

Now nobody will seek the relative ability to prevent geodudes from going boom on you, or a half-decent strategy for capturing wilds. I honestly wonder how many people could have nagged for Reborn being difficult, before the devs decided to change the AI. Everything until episode 16 worked pretty well, there were no shortcuts, players needed to think outside the box. I bet, expanding the audience/playerbase, always has some cost.

This is a terrible take. Why would you even want catching wild Pokemon to be more difficult? That would just be unnecessarily tedious

43 minutes ago, TA31 said:

This is a terrible take. Why would you even want catching wild Pokemon to be more difficult? That would just be unnecessarily tedious

I never said i wanted catching wild pokemon to be more difficult! What i said, is i wanted catching wild pokemon to be as challenging as it once had been, is all. Because as things once were, you were "forced" into utilizing otherwise useless or forgotten pokemon (in this case, one with Dampen for instance) and you used to pause for thinking, before advancing. All pokemon finding a use, had once been Reborn's main attraction...

Note to self: Hmmm the Fullevs password by the way, maximizes both enemy IVs and EVs, even though its ReadMe description mentions EVs only! Still, too weak... Not even with 252 to all EVs and a full 31 IVs, can an enemy trainer's pokemon off yours, when it suddenly drops its best move for its weakest, each time your health drops under half. No point in the challenge, since even without breeding, i do not see much difference. Maybe after reaching circus, it can start paying off and showing, like from the Fire gym onwards or something...

Edited by Tobi

• Administrators

The wild AI has never not been random. You are just straight up incorrect about that. 

If you are finding errors with the AI, then please provide the debuglog and make a proper bug report instead of yet another unhelpfully vague thread complaining about a swath of behaviors. This has already been outlined in the bug reporting guidelines thread specifically to discourage this kind of counterproductive, nebulous discussion. 

I'm locking this thread before it goes nowhere faster. 

• Upvote 2