6SS1- Determining Shiny Alterations

Amethyst

Hm. I believe Celebi's shiny alternation can be improved even further.

Imagine if Mega Celebi exists with bigger and shinier wings shaped like butterfly wings. It's antennae would look somewhat longer and it's black rings around it's eyes would be shaped like it's head.

Celebi looks like a Fairy so it would be colored pink, yellow, violet or light blue. When Celebi sparkles out of it's Pokeball or out in the wild, it would look very fitting in my opinion.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....I'm better at spriting than this, I know I am. I am awesome at recoloring. Something went horribly, horribly wrong here. I just know it. *offers it anyway*

SeviperRecolor.png

In case you don't believe me:

MismagiusRayquaza-1.pngMShiny1.png

^ Made AND recolored them both. See? I'm NOT totally bad at cyber art ;3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Shiny scraggy and scrafty, are they punk eanough

X8iuqLDs.jpg2rAW6UCs.jpg

Give scrafty some deal-with-it shades (jk)

On a serious note, they do look good, though idk what Ame will say about it, as there's been too many black and purple pokemon (apparently).

On a second note, someone please... edit that Gallade Hip, to me it always looked so stupid for it to have that oval hip thing, it's like he ate something that gave him an egg stomach or something.

Edit:

I also would like to present a Vinny Weavile, though I mainly did this for my own personal game.

CazPSGh.png2cf77Rl.png

Edited by Momotaro

• 4 weeks later...

I have always felt that the prime legendaries (Resheram and Zekrom) of the 5th genereation had a missed opertunity with their Shiny Sprites where they could further emphasize their Yin/Yang Symbolism. Thish is my chance to rectify it:

Resheram:

6ximtuu.pngZlIFAVd.png

Zekrom:

2OerzZ9.pngqKRRPFQ.png

Edit:

Purple Heart Luvdisc

YbG8edY.pnghN6hrYY.png

Edited by MetalKing1417

Srry to intrude on this topic and brake everyone's sanity who cares about what i'm going to say

but shouldn't the shiny sprites represend or be altered to the place of where you find the pokemon

like for a example (a bad one) Cubshoo lives in a icy area so shouldn't his shiny sprite be like

more blue/white or be purple/pink and his booger/snot be iced. srry if this was stupid

Edited by Cornerman

Srry to intrude on this topic and brake everyone's sanity who cares about what i'm going to say

but shouldn't the shiny sprites represend or be altered to the place of where you find the pokemon

like for a example (a bad one) Cubshoo lives in a icy area so shouldn't his shiny sprite be like

more blue/white or be purple/pink and his booger/snot be iced. srry if this was stupid

Completely sensible observation, but I would like to point out that shinies are the odd ball in their respective species, so they should be somewhat counter cultural in terms of color. Of course of course, I don't exactly mean blue to red and black to white, just not really blue to bluer and red to redder. Alas, it all depends on individual cases, so what you said works on certain cases as well. Wouldn't it be interesting if say weavile have a white and bush green scheme, would certainly be a ninja predator in the outdoor snow :D

Not so sure about that zekrom, but that reshiram is looking awesome!

Thanks. I actually did both at once, but I finished Zekrom first because I liked it the way it was (Resembles white chocolate to me. Yum. They're legendarily delicious), while Resheram looked like an overcooked chicken before.

What do you think is wrong with it? How can I improve upon it?

Edited by MetalKing1417

Thanks. I actually did both at once, but I finished Zekrom first because I liked it the way it was (Resembles white chocolate to me. Yum. They're legendarily delicious), while Resheram looked like an overcooked chicken before.

What do you think is wrong with it? How can I improve upon it?

Resheram is has some distinctive color boundaries and not just a blur, while Zekrom is pretty blurry and annoys the eye with so much bright white, not enough contrast, the light gray lines didn't help at all.

Ok, taking in your criticism, here are a few more ideas concepts for zekrom. Tell me which set you like most:

XblRdjr.pngvE9fg8U.png

qaW80t3.pngFeHEBHk.png

kRqClbT.pngod7aoX2.png

VgVsh2P.pngTM87nFB.png

The 2nd and 4th one is has the same issue as before. The 1st one has better contrast than the 3rd one, but the 3rd one shows more of its fire element. Both of them look yellowish though, and I see that you've kept the light grayish lines for the most part, which is the cause for the blur I think, I suppose you want it to have a glowing whitish vein look?

Aye, agreeing with the top one looking better. The lineart is really too pale on many of those recolours, which contrasts too much with the black lines.

Basically there's a big difference between how big the "colour steps" are for both sprites:

PglZeo9.png

(reshiram above, zekrom below)

Reshiram's base colour is much lighter than its shadows/lineart, whereas zekrom's are so similar that they're difficult to even see if the palette isn't this big.

Basically this means that replacing one palette with another will lead to an extreme contrast for zekrom, particularly as the lightest colour for zekrom is used only as a highlight rather than a base colour.

Which is all a long way of me saying that I'd advise not doing a switch-all-of-this-colour-with-this-colour. Instead mixing a few more shades of dark colours will work better, using a selection of greys and dark greys for the lineart, and manually replacing parts of the lineart in a different, darker shade than the pale-grey shadow colours. But not as dark as for the original black sprite! Lineart that hasn't been recoloured can look very contrasting.
You could also cut down on the amount of black used in the lineart, or even replace the black entirely with grey, although that should probably be reserved for "ghostly" things.

I personally find it easier to do a straightforward palette swap, and then zoom in and recolour specific things that need tweaking.

Looking at other white-coloured pokémon sprites is sometimes a good idea, to see how the shading works for those. The shadows and the lineart don't tend to share colours in the way that black-coloured pokémon's sprites do.

Spr_4d_468.pngSpr_5b_249.pngSpr_5b_087.pngSpr_5b_288.png

...Of course, this is only if you're not happy with how your sprite up there has turned out (or if you're planning to do more in the future)! The slightly yellow tint works well, although the lines on zekrom's body (and the lines around its RHS toes and the darker sections of its body) could possibly be darkened. It's up to you, though <:
I know for a fact that I am not a fan of recolouring things as white, nervous laughter.

Edited by Bakerlite

• 1 month later...

Hey, I was looking through this topic and saw that no one had tried giving the Gothitelle line a better set of shinies so I thought I'd try my hand at it. This is my first time ever trying anything like sprite art/recoloring so I'm assuming it'll make a few eyes hurt. I had originally wanted to make them bright and cheery like yellow and sky blue but I figured i should start with something simpler and just switch the colors of their bows and outfit. I made these on a white background so some lining and details might be obscured a bit.

Gothitelle:

c9qso1g.pngefFW0x9.png

Didn't have too many problems with Gothitelle but the eyes were a bit tricky. Not completely confident in her head bows though.

Gothorita:

C49K0ws.pngigf8b9M.png

The biggest issue was making sure the eyes and the rest of her head didn't bleed together. Also the white going around her cheek looked off so i expanded the purple and her lips a little. Also no matter what i tried the bottom of her right eye looked a little off. I'm worried that it looks like she has a black eye. I'm not absolutely sure how well I did with her bows, especially the one on her back, looks a bit pointier than the original.

Gothita:

8attHwK.pngrsXowOh.png

This is the one I'm least confident in. It's mainly the lower body, especially the belt or whatever that is. I had the lighter shadows at RGB 180,180,180 originally but they looked too dark so I bumped them to 200. As for the belt I'm not sure how to improve them.

Hopefully these aren't too ugly. Even if these aren't good enough for Reborn I'm still proud of these and I had a lot of fun making them. I hope I'm not necroposting here.

Edited by Kelazi5

• 2 months later...

I've also made quite some Gen 5 sprites already so i'll just share them here. When there's a thread made for gen 5 sprites specifically, we can port them from here.

Fetus color Reuniclus line

JzrFSTp.pngSsG0PAh.png

quZinIS.pngqdjhoJf.png

pX50Bua.pngZDVSwV7.png

Black Leech Eelektross line

U7LnxPc.pngiY3XKsH.png

NzVs339.pngoqcMRwH.png

DLpp4GF.pngKn0DivF.png

Steampunk Scraggy/Scrafty

le2QqfH.pngMYkUJEO.png

a7GulAK.pngeaPyFTw.png

Brown and green Venipede line

RbPeU6Z.pngXyaMAcv.png

ZjLk5WL.pngIOEqzBK.png

g2iOn3w.png5H5OaQ2.png

Bone Ghost Mandibuzz line

BQmooBl.pngkdbc30A.png

drOORah.pngeGWKL2j.png

Any criticism?

I've also made quite some Gen 5 sprites already so i'll just share them here. When there's a thread made for gen 5 sprites specifically, we can port them from here.

Fetus color Reuniclus line

JzrFSTp.pngSsG0PAh.png

quZinIS.pngqdjhoJf.png

pX50Bua.pngZDVSwV7.png

Black Leech Eelektross line

U7LnxPc.pngiY3XKsH.png

NzVs339.pngoqcMRwH.png

DLpp4GF.pngKn0DivF.png

Steampunk Scraggy/Scrafty

le2QqfH.pngMYkUJEO.png

a7GulAK.pngeaPyFTw.png

Brown and green Venipede line

RbPeU6Z.pngXyaMAcv.png

ZjLk5WL.pngIOEqzBK.png

g2iOn3w.png5H5OaQ2.png

Bone Ghost Mandibuzz line

BQmooBl.pngkdbc30A.png

drOORah.pngeGWKL2j.png

Any criticism?

Most of them are good, but I'm not sold on the Elektross' line's black color. I do like the red highlights though.

Edited by MetalKing1417

• 2 weeks later...

Here's everyone's least favorite pokemon from gen 5 for the byxbian wasteland (to be truthful, I actually like them)

Trubish

xUaEya2.pngbGC2Tki.png

Garbador

le7iCau.png7GxGvDo.png

And I modified the Garbador overworld sprite so maybe Ame can use it for Mr. Bigglesworth

oK88vUQ.png

I like this! Great work. In my opinion this looks a lot better than the official shiny sprite, lol.

Now, I'm not a great fan of the elemental monkeys, but I AM a fan of monkeys. And I had this idea that making the former a bit more like the latter will make them a lot cooler. Introducing:

516s_zpsllfxzikn.png

Japanese macaque, aka the snow-covered monkey that swims in hot springs.

514s_zpsiineiffz.png

Golden monkey, aka that evil s*** from His Dark Materials (the books; the Golden Compass movie featured a golden marmoset for some reason.)

512s_zpsjgbbqlf0.png

Sun-tailed monkey, aka a really cool critter nobody has heard of.

Critique?

If you like the idea, I'll happily make the backsprites, and the Pans. But, should the pre-evos match them, or maybe be different monkey species? There's no shortage of pretty ones to choose from. Some capuchins and marmosets would be ace.