General question about difficulty

Artemis92

So I've come across this game and started playing it on casual difficulty since I'm not into EVs, IVs, nature etc.

Just wanted an enjoyable experience with focus on the story. Well, the story is extremely interesting, but it's happened a couple of times that I struggled quite hard with certain battles. Lately, Souta. This battle actually made me angry. 😅

I'm wondering whether this game was made for players who actually know about strategy, EVs etc.?

Gotta say that I found some of the original main games of the Pokemon series way too easy, but Rejuvenation is on a different level. Wouldn't say that my team concists of 'bad' Pokemon, but baybe I need to get into strategy?

I would say that having some knowledge about natures and EV training would be very helpful in the game, since most bosses have mons with optimal EV spreads and natures, and you need to have trained your own to make the battlefield even imo. And rejuv makes EV training and changing natures fairly easy to do, so you don’t have to spend a ton of time and resources on it.
If you just want to enjoy the story, then casual mode is the best, but even then bosses have EVs on their mons. And if you need strats, you can always watch youtube playthoughs or ask in the forum. Good luck and enjoy your run😄

Souta is an absolutely massive difficulty spike even on casual. So, I can completely understand why you're struggling with it. Honestly the fight really needs to be made easier since the odds are just insanely stacked against you in that fight. To make matters worse, at that point in the game you're locked out of being able to EV train your pokemon easily. So, even if you did want to go through the trouble of EV training, it would be quite difficult. Instead of doing EV training and grinding, I would recommend to instead change the pokemon in your party and experiment with some different ones. Like you said, it might be worth thinking of some strategies.

One strategy you can do is use a team of flying pokemon so that you can take advantage of his overpowered field. For example, you can catch Talonflames in the area just before Souta's house near the train. Gale wings talonflame with acrobatics is extremely powerful in that fight. Also, if you happen to have an elemental seed, you can equip that to one of your pokemon so that your pokemon can get an automatic tailwind set up so that you can outspeed his pokemon and make it a little bit easier. Just make sure you save before fighting him so you don't waste the seed if you lose.

Edited by Dry Ham

easy way to cheese souta is to get a sturdy pokemon, have it learn smack down, then have one of your other mons use dig
completely changes the field and trivializes the fight

I personally like to have a low level sturdy mon so I can give it oran berry. This way i can do the dig+smack down all on one pokemon

Thanks for replying!

Yes, I already play on casual. :D

Plus I did beat Souta in the end since I did some research on the internet and trained two sturdy Golems and caught a gale wings Talonflame. Bafrely made it. xD

I submitted feedback to the devs on this.

My next fight is Rift Gardevoir. Let's see!