Rate my team

Akiyama

Hi, Looking for a way to improve my current team with its moveset or even swapping out some pokemon where necessary. Any suggestions given is appreciated!

Infernape (Life Orb)

Nature: Naive

Ability: Iron Fist

-Overheat

-Mach Punch

- Close Combat

-Thunderpunch

Magnezone (Leftovers)

Nature: Modest

Ability: Sturdy

-Discharge (Changing to Thunderbolt when I can get it)

-Thunder Wave

-Flash Cannon

-Magnet Rise

Crobat (Black Sludge)

Nature: Adamant

Ability: Infiltrator

-Super Fang

-Tailwind

-Brave Bird

-Cross Poison

Flygon (Assault Vest)

Nature: Jolly

Ability: Levitate

-Outrage

-Earthquake

-Crunch

-Filler (Currently Fly)

Alolan Ninetales (Light Clay)

Nature: Timid

Ability: Snow Warning

-Aurora Veil

-Blizzard

-Moon Blast

-Freeze Dry

Milotic (Leftovers)

Nature: Bold

Ability: Competitive

-Surf

-Icy Wind

-Recover

-Toxic

1 hour ago, RebornFan7 said:

Your team is pretty good. I suggest swapping magnet rise with electric terrain  on magnezone. It could help change the broken fields that the gym leaders of Reborn use. 

Thank you very much for your suggestion! Would definitely do that, field effects and terrains are sometimes a pain and Electric Terrain will definitely help alot, though to be honest, I did not know Magnezone actually get Electric Terrain. Magnet Rise has been only quite situational in double battles so far, so thats an easy decision right there!

Seems pretty strong, though it could be good to swap any one of your Infernape's moves to a physical Fire type move (Flare Blitz or Fire Punch namely) so you can have one that's more spammable than Overheat, but if you don't feel like that's a problem for you then don't worry about it. Also I've noticed in the past that Crobat's a bit lacking in power, but you have Brave Bird which kind of makes up for it and Super Fang and Tailwind mean you don't really need to use your Attack stat, however if you wanted to add to its utility even more you could swap Cross Poison out for Poison Fang to get that Toxic poison and extra chance for it. Oh and Dragon Dance could be nice on Flygon too!

P.S. I'd forgotten that Magnezone gets Electric Terrain too, but I looked it up and it's just at level 1, so an easy Heart Scale away.

13 minutes ago, Rendolf said:

Seems pretty strong, though it could be good to swap any one of your Infernape's moves to a physical Fire type move (Flare Blitz or Fire Punch namely) so you can have one that's more spammable than Overheat, but if you don't feel like that's a problem for you then don't worry about it. Also I've noticed in the past that Crobat's a bit lacking in power, but you have Brave Bird which kind of makes up for it and Super Fang and Tailwind mean you don't really need to use your Attack stat, however if you wanted to add to its utility even more you could swap Cross Poison out for Poison Fang to get that Toxic poison and extra chance for it. Oh and Dragon Dance could be nice on Flygon too!

P.S. I'd forgotten that Magnezone gets Electric Terrain too, but I looked it up and it's just at level 1, so an easy Heart Scale away.

Thank you for the suggestions! 

For Infernape, I actually tried Flare Blitz and Fire Punch but ended settling on Overheat while allocating some evs to special attack as Flare Blitz recoil sometimes is a little too much while fire punch seems to lack the extra power needed for KOs, and Overheat turns out to be not as big of a problem as I ended up using it as more of hit and run.

For Crobat, I actually used Poison Fang for a bit, but ended up deferring to Cross Poison due to the Fairy Gym! I needed Cross Poison to net some KOs there to make my life easier with Adrienn.

For Flygon, I didn't know it gets Dragon Dance! That would be an amazing addition for the filler move slot! But I think I have to check if the game still follows Gen 7 or Gen 8 learnset, if it's Gen 8, I would definitely get Dragon Dance!

8 hours ago, Akiyama said:

For Flygon, I didn't know it gets Dragon Dance! That would be an amazing addition for the filler move slot! But I think I have to check if the game still follows Gen 7 or Gen 8 learnset, if it's Gen 8, I would definitely get Dragon Dance!

The game follows gen 7 learnsets, but Flygon learns Dragon Dance at level 1 in both gens so you're good there.

All right my boy, it's been a while since I have built a team, let's hope I don't ** this up. First I like to build a team looking for coverage against all types plus I like to have a very agressive team. You seem to like building with doubles in mind with moves like Aurora Veil and Tailwind, I'll try to keep it in mind. I'll also show EVs/IVs that i think works best, I hope you can work some breeding.

Infernape @ Life Orb

IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Moves:

- Swords Dance (Boost)

- Fire Punch (STAB)

- Thunder Punch (Coverage)

- Close Combat / Power Up Punch / Poison Jab / Shadow Claw / U-turn

Crobat @ None / Flying Gem

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Moves

- Confuse Ray (Coverage)

- Acrobatics (STAB)

- Cross Poison (STAB)

- Leech Life / U-turn (Coverage)

Garchomp @ Garchompite

Ability: Rough Skin -> Sand Force

Moves

- Swords Dance / Stealth Rock (Buff / Setter)

- Earthquake (STAB)

- Dragon Claw (STAB)

- Crunch (Coverage)

Well, let's go wild with Infernape. Iron Fist + Life Orb will bump your moves a lot, with good IVs and the right alocation of EVs, you'll deal a lot of damage. As Jolly nature will boost your speed, you can use U-turn to scout in battles and be more prepared to what is coming. I can't seem to understand why overheat would be more effective without proper nature (Modest or Timid) and IV/EV building. As Swords Dance's TM is not available yet, you can use any moves listed on the last move, also use them when you need to change strategy for some specific battle. Also, if you want to stick with a fire mon, Blaziken is one of the best, I use one on my team.

It's said by many in this forum as one of the best to use in Reborn, Magnezone doesn't fit my play style so I can't give too much about it. In my view, most of electric mons are very limited by their moveset when it comes to coverage. I'd prefer to use a Grass mon that will be more reliable and will have the same role as a electric mon on a team (mostly dealing with water mons). Electivire and Alolan Raichu are better for me if you still want to stick to electric, my preferencer is for the first.

I used Crobat on my team a while ago, and I used this moveset I showed here. Crobat is one of the fastest pokemon available so it'll always go first. If it doesn't hold any item, Acrobatics double its power (from 55 to 110), it could also hold a Flying Gem, which will be consumed before the move hits, bumping its power to 165 in one turn, this without recoil that Brave Bird inflicts. Leech Life will help regain some HP if needed. U-turn will work the same as on Infernape, but better here, as Crobat is faster. Keep in mind not to repeat moves or move types to have a good coverage. If you stick with Crobat, don't use U-turn or Poison Jab on Infernape.

Flygon is a problem for me in this team. It repeat the Crobat's flying type and it doesn't have great stats and great movesets. What we can profit from it, is the ground typing. Krookodile and Garchomp would bring more to the table. Mamoswine would be a good addition too, but with A-Ninetalest, we would have two ice types. Krookodile would be really nice, but Garchomp is just better stat-wise and also it would be the mega on your team, I'll leave a moveset for it. Also you could think of having a sandstorm setter like Hippodown, just so Garchomp would be even better.

For A-Ninetales, I'd change Freeze Dry for Extrasensory just for coverage, we don't have Psychic moves on the team so far. The aforementiones Hippodown could come on this slot.

Milotic doesn't fit my play style the same as Magnezone. I can't help with it too much, but I believe it is good enough for the team. I suppose you use it to revive some mons while you keep staling your enemy. More offensive water mons would be Starmie, Sharpedo (also has mega) and Greninja. All very fast, agressive and with a lot of coverage moves.  

Hope it helped!

16 hours ago, Trufa said:

All right my boy, it's been a while since I have built a team, let's hope I don't ** this up. First I like to build a team looking for coverage against all types plus I like to have a very agressive team. You seem to like building with doubles in mind with moves like Aurora Veil and Tailwind, I'll try to keep it in mind. I'll also show EVs/IVs that i think works best, I hope you can work some breeding.

Hi, Thank you very much for all your suggestions. You got that part right on the money! I ended up building my team with some doubles in mind as we seem to have quite a bit of them in the game, sometimes teaming up with another teammate. But Aurora Veil with Light Clay has been very good for Singles too, while Tailwind sometimes allow me to outspeed another mon when my fastest mons dies , since my current Crobat isn't actually that strong offensively, but pretty good as kind of a support. I am definitely OK with doing some breeding!

For Infernape, I am keeping that set in mind for when I get Sword Dance. However, would it be better for me have Mach Punch somewhere in there to have a priority? My main playstyle so far has been to use Infernape as a hit and run or as a revenge killer. Overall the main reason I used Overheat is so I don't take too much recoil and leave myself vulnerable to a priority while maintaining some semblance of knockout power. The future plan is to also equip ape with Firium-Z for Overheat use. With Sword Dance however, Iron Fist Fire Punch sounds pretty good and worth a try for sure, so definitely will do that as soon as I get Sword Dance.

I agree with your view of Electric mons, but Magnezone will probably stay on the team mainly due to the Steel typing for fairies and poisons.

As for Crobat, I will keep your set in mind and make another Crobat with your set and try that out for the rest of the game! One doubt I do have is with Confuse Ray though, I have found that most of the time RNG just doesn't work in our favor unless I restart a bunch of time just to get it, not sure if there is some hidden factor affecting it, but from my playthrough so far, I found that being able to "control your own destiny" and not count on RNG at all usually works better.

As for Flygon, Krookodile is an interesting suggestion and will definitely explore it, especially as it will give Intimidate or Moxie as well. I did consider Garchomp, but I ended up not using it as it doesn't naturally get Earthquake and I still didn't get the TM so far. But you definitely brought up a very good point! I don't have a Mega option! I think I need to start working on Garchomp and Hippowdon both as rotation mons to give myself alot more options for sure!

Another relatively trivial reason is the need for Fly sometimes, which I was reluctant to put on Crobat due to alot of it's moveset being egg moves.

For Ninetales, I love that suggestion for sure, Freeze-Dry and Extrasensory both has good and bad so will hunt some heart scales and rotate them when necessary, like Freeze Dry allows me to hit super effective moves on Water Types, and it's my trump card for Amaria.

Milotic, its just a pokemon I really like, and it gives me a mon that can do some sort of stalling and recovering like what you mentioned when things go south. The only pokemon on your suggestion I would consider changing to is Greninja, as I simply do not like Sharpedo, and find that Starmie seems to lack that extra oomph most of the time to land needed KOs even though it has amazing coverages.

Hi! No problem, I really like giving some thoughts here. 

Mach Punch indeed is good, I forget to put it there, could also be a rotation move. The hold back on Infernape for me is that it doesn't learn Ice Punch, so much for its Iron Fists.

Well, if the reason is the need of a Steel mon, we have a lot on the pool. Lucario for example can have Physical and Special builds that have a lot of coverage moves on both (I'll leave a moveset for both, special build is easier to pull), AND it also bring the Fighting type to the table, which removes the need for Infernape on the team, leaving the spot open to other Fire mon. We would need to rethink the team though, because you would lose advantage against Water mons. Also Lucario has a Mega if you don't opt for Garchomp. Other good Steel mons (for my taste) are Metagross (also mega), Excadrill (has sinergy with Hippodown as well) and Durant.

Speaking of Hippodown, another one that can bring Sandstorm to the battle is Tyranitar. It also has mega option and great stats. Just some food for thought...

I see, you could use a pokemon just to fly, or use SWM modular pack. It has a feature that allows you to use any HM with any pokemon, provided you have the item on your inventory.

I don't like Sharpedo either haha. Starmie is heavily dependent on TM moves to become good, most of them aren't available yet, unfortunately. I use Greninja on my team, with Protean and Expert Belt, this frog becomes a monster, I'll leave the moveset I use for it. But if you like Milotic, just go for it. The main reason to play is to feel well xD

Greninja @ Expert Belt

Ability: Protean

IVs: 31/X/31/31/31/31

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd

Nature: Timid / Modest (Timid prefered)

Moves:

- Toxic Spikes (setter) / Ice Beam (When available) / U-turn (If you need a scout)

- Water Pledge (for early game) / Surf (for doubles) / Scald (STAB)

- Extrasensory (STAB)

- Dark Pulse (STAB)

Lucario @ Lucarionite

Ability: Any for normal form, I prefer Inner Focus

Moves:

- Swords Dance

- Meteor Mash (STAB)

- Close Combat / High Jump Kick (If you are feeling lucky) / Drain Punch (helps a lot. All moves STAB)

- Blaze Kick / Crunch / Poison Jab / Earthquake / Rock Slide / Extreme Speed / Thunder Punch / Ice Punch / Bullet Punch (MANY MANY COVERAGE)

Lucario @ Lucarionite

Ability: Inner Focus

IVs: 31/X/31/31/31/31

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd

Nature: Timid

Moves:

- Nasty Plot

- Flash Cannon (STAB)

- Aura Sphere (STAB)

- Dragon Pulse / Psychic / Dark Pulse  (Coverage)

On 11/12/2021 at 12:36 PM, Trufa said:

Infernape @ Life Orb

Moves:

- Swords Dance (Boost)

- Fire Punch (STAB)

- Thunder Punch (Coverage)

- Close Combat / Power Up Punch / Poison Jab / Shadow Claw / U-turn

Crobat @ None / Flying Gem

Moves

- Confuse Ray (Coverage)

- Acrobatics (STAB)

- Cross Poison (STAB)

- Leech Life / U-turn (Coverage)

Garchomp @ Garchompite

Ability: Rough Skin -> Sand Force

Moves

- Swords Dance / Stealth Rock (Buff / Setter)

- Earthquake (STAB)

- Dragon Claw (STAB)

- Crunch (Coverage)

Well, let's go wild with Infernape. Iron Fist + Life Orb will bump your moves a lot, with good IVs and the right alocation of EVs, you'll deal a lot of damage. As Jolly nature will boost your speed, you can use U-turn to scout in battles and be more prepared to what is coming. I can't seem to understand why overheat would be more effective without proper nature (Modest or Timid) and IV/EV building. As Swords Dance's TM is not available yet, you can use any moves listed on the last move, also use them when you need to change strategy for some specific battle. Also, if you want to stick with a fire mon, Blaziken is one of the best, I use one on my team.

It's said by many in this forum as one of the best to use in Reborn, Magnezone doesn't fit my play style so I can't give too much about it. In my view, most of electric mons are very limited by their moveset when it comes to coverage. I'd prefer to use a Grass mon that will be more reliable and will have the same role as a electric mon on a team (mostly dealing with water mons). Electivire and Alolan Raichu are better for me if you still want to stick to electric, my preferencer is for the first.

I used Crobat on my team a while ago, and I used this moveset I showed here. Crobat is one of the fastest pokemon available so it'll always go first. If it doesn't hold any item, Acrobatics double its power (from 55 to 110), it could also hold a Flying Gem, which will be consumed before the move hits, bumping its power to 165 in one turn, this without recoil that Brave Bird inflicts. Leech Life will help regain some HP if needed. U-turn will work the same as on Infernape, but better here, as Crobat is faster. Keep in mind not to repeat moves or move types to have a good coverage. If you stick with Crobat, don't use U-turn or Poison Jab on Infernape.

Flygon is a problem for me in this team. It repeat the Crobat's flying type and it doesn't have great stats and great movesets. What we can profit from it, is the ground typing. Krookodile and Garchomp would bring more to the table. Mamoswine would be a good addition too, but with A-Ninetalest, we would have two ice types. Krookodile would be really nice, but Garchomp is just better stat-wise and also it would be the mega on your team, I'll leave a moveset for it. Also you could think of having a sandstorm setter like Hippodown, just so Garchomp would be even better.

For A-Ninetales, I'd change Freeze Dry for Extrasensory just for coverage, we don't have Psychic moves on the team so far. The aforementiones Hippodown could come on this slot.

Milotic doesn't fit my play style the same as Magnezone. I can't help with it too much, but I believe it is good enough for the team. I suppose you use it to revive some mons while you keep staling your enemy. More offensive water mons would be Starmie, Sharpedo (also has mega) and Greninja. All very fast, agressive and with a lot of coverage moves.  

Hope it helped!

Don't really understand the point of suggestion moves that aren't available. And regardless, I wouldn't want to use Swords Dance on Infernape, even if it was.

Just have to heeeaavily disagree on Flygon. First of all it's a Dragon/Ground, there is no Flying type overlap. Second, with access to Dragon Dance and Earthquake, Flygon is easily one of the strongest mons easily available in Reborn. There's a good reason I refuse to use it when I play through as it's just broken once you get perfect EV spreads. Flygon has a brilliant movepool and is bulky enough to get you going with D-Dance.

Freeze-Dry > Blizzard on A-Ninetales, definitely keep Freeze-Dry over Blizzard.

Personally I find Extrasensory weak on non-Psychic, without the STAB boost but I guess our mindset differs as I would suggest Hypnosis on Ninetales, when you run Aurora Veil, Hypnosis allows you to get a clean swap and start setting up for example a Flygon Dragon Dance while protected under Aurora Veil. It's A-Ninetales' biggest selling point and you're just handicapping yourself by not playing into it. Freeze-Dry / Moonblast / A-Veil / Hypnosis is my suggestion for A-Ninetales.

I've often found a common trap people fall into is overloading themselves with "coverage" moves, tunnelvisioning on the idea that you absolutely MUST have coverage for EVERYTHING and you end up forgetting about the individual strengths of your pokemon - when really, you need to focus on having coverage for your teams weak points. And not add in moves for the sake of having a specific type move without it fitting into your team strategy.

If there's one thing I've learned building teams for Reborn playthroughs it is that coverage is overrated. Sounds silly at first glance but think of the fights you're in. Single-type Gym fights. Most other big fights they don't have these mega varied teams where you need 10 different type moves. You're far better off building into your Mons' strengths and then learning how to abuse field effects and Seeds. You're wearing yourself thin. Just a thought.

On 11/21/2021 at 10:44 PM, Siv said:

Personally I find Extrasensory weak on non-Psychic, without the STAB boost but I guess our mindset differs as I would suggest Hypnosis on Ninetales, when you run Aurora Veil, Hypnosis allows you to get a clean swap and start setting up for example a Flygon Dragon Dance while protected under Aurora Veil. It's A-Ninetales' biggest selling point and you're just handicapping yourself by not playing into it. Freeze-Dry / Moonblast / A-Veil / Hypnosis is my suggestion for A-Ninetales.

Thanks for your suggestion, Will give Hypnosis a try, but my concern with replacing Blizzard with Hypnosis is that Hypnosis is 60% accuracy and also Blizzard sometimes comes in handy changing some annoying field effects. It's just a point I thought of as field effects and hitting moves seems to be very very important in this game from my experience so far.

Have also swapped my filler on Flygon for Dragon Dance and it has definitely made it easier for me on boss battles, mostly Singles, Doubles not so much.

On 11/21/2021 at 10:44 PM, Siv said:

You're far better off building into your Mons' strengths and then learning how to abuse field effects and Seeds. You're wearing yourself thin. Just a thought.

Will definitely try that in the future but Field Effects and the different seed effects are just extremely confusing to me for my current playthrough. More often than not, I find myself relying on Blizzard and hoping it changes the field to ice field as I feel like it seems to help me more often than not compared to the other fields so far. Will try to study up on what the different fields do and how to change them and hopefully apply that knowledge when the game is complete. Thanks again for your suggestions!