How to beat Aya?

ThyMajicConch

Howdy, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for beating Aya? Her team (Especially her Toxapex) just destroys me every time I battle her, I would love some tips and pointers.

If it helps, my team currently consists of the following

Blaziken (Speed boost one at that)

Linoone

Charjabug

Onix

Toxicroak

Murkrow

21 minutes ago, Z64 said:

paralyzing her toxapex and attacking the other side of her team until it was 2v1 helped me a lot.and just in general i'd grab more pokemon super effective against poison. you can pretty easily grind against the trainers in the great hall

Yeah, paralyzing it would definitely help, any Pokemon you'd recommend?

Simple Swoobat can sweep half her team with Calm Mind + Psychic before being taken out, especially if you support it with Fake Out and/or screens. You could also try changing the terrain to nerf her (misty is the best one here as it also prevents you from getting poisoned, while grassy is kinda useless, since repeated Sludge Waves will change it back and she really likes to spam it). Steel types work amazingly against her, but by that point in the game I don't remeber having access to a lot of them (the Klink line and Forretress and maybe just a few other weak ones, I didn't bother to try them).

I personally beat her with Gastrodon (you can get a Shellos in Azurine Island) and Camerupt (Numel is accessible near the lower Peridot station after beating the first gym): the latter has very early access to Earth Power - arguably the best special ground move in the game and one of the few strong ones that isn't affected by her field - while the former's Mud Bomb even gets a boost in her arena! Sidenote: Gastro gets overlooked but I really recommend it for the mid game, very bulky, water/ground is a sick typing and Storm Drain is busted, it carried me through the story all the way to Adrienn.

Anyway don't get discouraged and keep trying, I definitely found her to be one of the hardest leaders but after clearing her it should be smooth sailing for a while - and as a plus, the story gets a lot more interesting. Have fun!

6 hours ago, ThyMajicConch said:

Yeah, paralyzing it would definitely help, any Pokemon you'd recommend?

You can also get gothita in the library after you're done with beryl ward stuff and I think you can get some ground type(s) in the underground place of the stairs (where you fight the two meteor admins and save victoria), as well as get lunatone encounter there which is rock/psychic (resists and is super effective against her stab) and also has levitate (becomes immune to nidoqueen).

33 minutes ago, Z64 said:

i personally used ampharos which did a pretty good job. also, what pippalazzo said above is pretty good advice. i'd get all 3 mons and combine the strat. gl!

Also had good ol' Ampharos on my team at the time, can't go wrong with it! 

Even better, if you got a Joltik from the blackout event way back in Peridot (50% chance between it and Grubbin) you can try Galvantula instead, which not only has access to T-Wave for the para strat, but can also apply further speed control during the fight with Electroweb and Sticky Web (which gives the opponent an insane -3 in this field). Didn't bother to train up one myself, but on paper it sound really awesome for this gym!

• Like 1

You can also grab Nidorina with 3 31 IVs from the cave north of Corey's gym, and evolve it into Nidoqueen which learns Earth Power at level 43. And Nidoran is available from the game corner for Nidoking which also learns Earth Power by level 45. I'd recommend swapping out Onix, Murkrow, and Charjabug since  none of them really have the stats to keep up at this point without evolving.

• 1 year later...

Found a really good specific tactic to beat her. Get a Beartic (with Icicle Crash, X, X, X; Ability: Slush Rush, Attack boosting nature) and an Aurorus (with Freeze Dry, Thunder Wave, Ancientpower, X; Ability: Snow Warning, Item: Icy Rock). These two make Aya behave in a specific way to make the fight really easy. You can figure it out yourself, or read the spoiler below if you don't feel like thinking. 

Spoiler on how to fight Aya with Beartic and Aurorus.

Spoiler

LEAD with both of them. In the first turn you need to hit everything, and possibly need Toxapex to be fully paralyzed as well (did not dare to check as this was my 25th attempt, lol).  Use Beartic's Icicle Crash to OHKO Nidoqueen, and use Aurorus' Thunder Wave to paralyze Toxapex. Then, Aya goes stupid (I think cause of the super-effective moves against Aurorus) and throws out all of her Pokemon that are weak to Ice-type, one after the other. Keep using Beartic's Icicle Crash to OHKO all of them, and Aurorus' Freeze Dry as a back-up. Weirdly, Salazzle got thrown out last, and by that point you can suicide the Beartic with one last Icicle Crash, and try to use Aurorus' Ancientpower to down the Salazzle. Toxapex is probably down by this point as well because of the Freeze-Dry backups. Even if you don't down the last two with Beartic + Aurorus, you still have 4 Pokemon to down both of them. Choose some good ones to defeat the last two, and you got a badge! 

Spoiler on where to get these pokemon:

Spoiler

Find both in the Citrine Mountain below the Abandoned Power Plant. To get Aurorus, get Amaura in the top right of the cave by using Rock Smash on a crack in the wall, and then Ice heal it. It will join you after.