Crests and Crest Mod ideas

HirsuteMonkey

It's funny that this came out just as I started working on my own crest mod. I may have to take a glance through this and steel an idea or two. I had some general ideas myself, but I also have certain limitations so I might not be able to do a bunch of these.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ty_taurus said:

It's funny that this came out just as I started working on my own crest mod. I may have to take a glance through this and steel an idea or two. I had some general ideas myself, but I also have certain limitations so I might not be able to do a bunch of these.

By all means, feel free to steal as many as you like. I’m particularly optimistic about the potential of the Dunsparce, Seaking, Sudowoodo and Unown crests. 

If I may ask, how is it you’re going about creating this mod? I’m unfamiliar with the particular process of how to create new items, though I’m sure examining existing items will help me figure out how to kludge the crests together.

10 hours ago, HirsuteMonkey said:

Aurorus Crest—creates an Aurora Veil on entry

Absolutely not, Aurora Veil is way too powerful to be created willy nilly like this. Instead it could be: Grants Filter ability and have effect of Light Clay. You still need to work to setup Aurora Veil this way, but it's more managable. 

Cacturne Crest—grants Quick Draw ability, boosts offenses 30%.

Thats gonna give him Sucker Punch with a power of a Nuke, not to mention Quick Draw is a very random ability and will just encourage resetting for a move to go first. Really bad idea. Instead he could increase his defenses by 20-30% and now harm his opponents for 50% of the damage dealt with contact moves. SInce he is a cactus. 

Ditto Crest—Speed +10%, regardless of form

Absolutely not. It will mean Ditto will be able to win ANY fight with anyone 1 on 1. Not to mention he will be abused to a ridiculous degree to win hard fights. Super no. 

Emolga Crest—Sets up tailwind on entry

Absolutely not. Too abusable and powerful. 

Froslass Crest—boosts evasion and accuracy +1, applies Serene Grace.

I personally thought a lot how to make Froslass just... better, since she is in my top 3 favorite pokemon, but i feel like any evasion nonsense like Minimize and things is jsut cheap by default and should never be encouraged. I do like Serene Grace though. Instead of boosts i feel like it would benefit more from having Mimikyu-like 1 hit protection. "What seems to be it's body is actually hollow", so when enemy tries to hit it he hits nothing. So in a nutshell Serene Grace + Disguise. 

Golem Crest—Special Defense is calculated off of Defense, gains Solid Rock.

I would also like to see increased power on his Rollout. He is a sphere for god sake. 

Lanturn Crest—Defense +1, Electric Terrain upon entry

I think in a heavily terrain-based game any Terrain on entry is a bad thing. In fact i would throw out Gorilla and Indeedee out of the game entirely. Instead going off of his pokedex entry his light is so bright he illuminates stuff for miles. So: his electric moves all lower opponents accuracy by 1. 

Liepard Crest—Dark moves are guaranteed to crit if Liepard moves first.

It can be limited to U-turn and Sucker Punch, since they fit his dex entry much more. 

Mantine Crest—Lightningrod, Aqua Ring.

Lightningrod will be enough, it have reliable recovery in Roost. 

Mr. Mime Crest—sets up Reflect upon entry, prolongs shield effects

Absolutely not. Any barrier on entry is too much. However, instead as a barrier expert, his crest can double the lenght of any barrier he does, so from normal 5 turns to 10 instead of 7. He will also use the copied move with Mimic the same turn he copied it. 

Onix Crest—functions as an Eviolite that also doubles Attack.

I fail to see why. Steelix exist, no need for crests for pre evolutions. 

Oranguru Crest—Defense boosted 30%, granted Power Spot (+30% offensive boost to allies).

Oranguru is very fat already, defensive one will survive about any move used on him. He only got 2 weaknesses and 1 of them is bug. How often do you see X-Scissor as a cover move? Instead, since he is so focused on meditating, he can double the effects of any stat raising moves he uses (not applicable to items). Meaning Nasty Plot, Calm Mind and such become deadly on him. It will also not break him because he is also very slow so to sweep he need to survive full 2 turns to buff up and to Trick Room. 

Poliwrath Crest—No Guard. 

Only if it changes it's ability on No Guard. Swift Swim + No Guard dynamic pucnhes is a bit too much. 

Shiftry Crest—grass moves boosted 1.3x and given Flying subtype.

Dont see a need to grass type boost, but he would benefit from STAB on Flying type moves + Aerialate. Since he is a fan and makes a lot of winds. 

Spinda Crest—Evasion +3, foes automatically confused upon entry (both their entry and Spinda’s).

Absolutely not. That's the most RNG thing i've heard all week. And anything that add more RNG can go die in a fire. It doesnt matter if it stats suck that is just a terrible thing to do. Instead: using any of the dance moves turns Spinda into a Dancer Spinda, upping all his stats by 50% and gives it a Protean ability to utilize his pretty good movepool. It still will have only 90 base stats in everything, and also need to actually get off either Rain Dance or Teeter Dance with his awful stats. 

Wigglytuff Crest—Critical hit rate raised 2 stages, sound-based moves boosted 30%.

This one is not known for singing tho. This one is with amazing fur and ability to inflate himself. Instead: playing off his iflating, he gets Stockpile on entry and any contact moves, made by enemy, charm opponent. 

8 hours ago, Cyphre said:

Absolutely not, Aurora Veil is way too powerful to be created willy nilly like this. Instead it could be: Grants Filter ability and have effect of Light Clay. You still need to work to setup Aurora Veil this way, but it's more managable. 

First of all, thank you for replying with constructive criticism and new ideas, I’ll try to address all of them. For Aurorus, Aurora Veil may be powerful, but it’s still on an Aurorus. It’s painfully slow, vulnerable to Stealth Rock and other entry hazards, and has six weaknesses to extremely common attacking types, including two quadruple weaknesses, and its resistances are to relatively uncommon attacking types except for Flying. Essentially, the difference between this crest and just slapping a focus sash on Snow Warning Aurorus is that one gets a giant chunk of its health taken off the instant it goes into battle, then uses Aurora Veil right before fainting, and the other has a chance to actually participate in the battle somewhat instead of making it a 5-vs.-6 match.

For context, running the damage calculations even with Aurora Veil up, pretty much any Steel- or Fighting-type move is going to OHKO Aurorus. The counterplay options here are plain as day. Even the weak Mach Punch from Leftovers Hitmontop or Life Orb Clefable’s Meteor Mash takes away nearly 70% under Aurora Veil, and nothing Aurorus has, not even Refrigerate Hyper Beam, can OHKO them back, even with hail, before they finish the job. Then there’s Brick Break to consider, and Psychic Fangs. Aurora Veil is powerful without being overbearing or eliminating reasonable counterplay options, which is exactly what I’m after when it comes to crests.

Thats gonna give him Sucker Punch with a power of a Nuke, not to mention Quick Draw is a very random ability and will just encourage resetting for a move to go first. Really bad idea. Instead he could increase his defenses by 20-30% and now harm his opponents for 50% of the damage dealt with contact moves. SInce he is a cactus. 

You have to consider the opportunity cost involved in deciding to use a crest. In this case, the crest is no more powerful than a Life Orb, which is what Cacturne is usually saddled with, and you can’t hold an item while holding a crest. The crest benefit here is that Cacturne’s HP isn’t getting sapped every turn, which is kinda like a defensive boost by comparison to its usual operating procedure. I don’t mind the idea of your crest, as it fits with the cactus theme, but Cacturne isn’t supposed to be a wall. Even with boosts, its defenses are too low and it’s far too slow. It’s not getting any better at doing its job as a wallbreaker, in other words, because in this game the added speed and power is generally preferred for frailer mons to net OHKOs and 2HKOs so that it doesn’t have to take more hits than are necessary, since defensive investment usually isn’t capable of overcoming the difference between taking one hit and two. So your crest might be much more situationally useful than, say, just getting a Life Orb or Choice Band.

Absolutely not. It will mean Ditto will be able to win ANY fight with anyone 1 on 1. Not to mention he will be abused to a ridiculous degree to win hard fights. Super no. 

Ditto is already used to win hard fights and beat 1 on 1 sweepers by using a Choice Scarf. But this only really applies to hyper-offense setup sweepers, because Imposter copies their boosts. Essentially, what this does is still allows Ditto to break speed ties with non-Scarfed sweepers and usually KO them, just as it does with a scarf, but then allows it to use other moves instead of being locked in afterwards. It’s versatility at the cost of speed.

However, the usual Ditto limitations still apply. It’s still got horrendous HP, and only 5 PP per move. Copying a wall, cleric, or tank is pretty much an instant loss condition for Ditto, as it gets no HP recovery from an item and less HP than them by default, and can easily be stalled out on any healing moves. If your opponent has no way to deal with an essentially item-less, slightly faster version of their own setup sweeper, then more the fool them. They should have invested in a Hazer, Phaser, Unaware mon, decent wall, decent tank, stall mon, type advantage, revenge killer, priority user, terrain setter, or any number of the other myriad reasonable counterplay options against bog standard hyper-offense or setup strategies.

Absolutely not. Too abusable and powerful. 

Tailwind only lasts for three to four turns, and by definition some of that time is going to be spent with an Emolga of all things on the field. Its stats are absolutely pitiful, and it’s weak to Stealth Rock. Even with Adaptability, Emolga isn’t going to be hitting very hard off of base 75 offenses, either. It’s a glass cannon—if you could even call it a “cannon” with such low offenses—and pretty much anything will take it out, particularly when it lacks a Focus Sash. Auto tailwind is a really great boon, yes, but the disadvantage is that you’re still filling up a teamslot with an Emolga, rather than something that can take a hit. 

For instance, even with the crest, Emolga is never gonna win against something as pedestrian as an Abomasnow unless it gets an Air Slash flinch. Ice Beam or Blizzard are instant KOs, and even Ice Shard takes off more than 50% after Hail.

I personally thought a lot how to make Froslass just... better, since she is in my top 3 favorite pokemon, but i feel like any evasion nonsense like Minimize and things is jsut cheap by default and should never be encouraged. I do like Serene Grace though. Instead of boosts i feel like it would benefit more from having Mimikyu-like 1 hit protection. "What seems to be it's body is actually hollow", so when enemy tries to hit it he hits nothing. So in a nutshell Serene Grace + Disguise. 

Ah, I really like this idea! Sure, since it already has an evasion boost in Snow Cloak, why not. I’d take off the accuracy boost as well, though, and just leave it as Serene Grace and Disguise. Principally, though, I don’t share your disdain for RNG—actually, I think it makes things more exciting. Damage rolls can go die in a fire, though, and I’m glad this latest version does away with them. 

I would also like to see increased power on his Rollout. He is a sphere for god sake.

A fine idea, very fitting and it might just give people an excuse to actually use Rollout. It’d have to be in the place of giving Golem Solid Rock, though, since crests really ought to do as few things as possible. Instead of using Defense Curl to double the power of Rollout, imagine Golem taking advantage of Sturdy and its stronger Special Defense in order to set up a Rock Polish and use Rollout instead! That would escalate quickly.

I think in a heavily terrain-based game any Terrain on entry is a bad thing. In fact i would throw out Gorilla and Indeedee out of the game entirely. Instead going off of his pokedex entry his light is so bright he illuminates stuff for miles. So: his electric moves all lower opponents accuracy by 1. 

I’m all in favor of rebalancing Rejuvenation’s field effects, which eliminate far too many reasonable counterplay options in my opinion and are particularly punishing to monotype teams, but I have no problems with the game’s current terrain effects. Except maybe Psychic terrain, but that’s just sour grapes on my part. Anyway, I really like your idea, though. Flash upon using electric moves plays right into Lanturn’s whole schtick. Wish I’d come up with that idea… though I suppose the Volbeat and Illumise crests are somewhat similar. 

What happened to you not liking RNG, though? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love this idea, but it seems out of character for someone who dislikes evasion and accuracy and whatnot to suggest.

It can be limited to U-turn and Sucker Punch, since they fit his dex entry much more.

That’s fine, I suppose, though it might be more complicated to implement on a technical level than simply restricting it to Dark moves. “Boosts underhanded moves” might be a good descriptor, and might as well extend it to Feint and Faint Attack as well.

Lightningrod will be enough, it have reliable recovery in Roost. 

Fair. I was mostly thinking of it from the perspective of the opportunity cost of lacking Leftovers, but I forgot Mantine does have Roost.

Absolutely not. Any barrier on entry is too much. However, instead as a barrier expert, his crest can double the lenght of any barrier he does, so from normal 5 turns to 10 instead of 7. He will also use the copied move with Mimic the same turn he copied it. 

I really disagree that having limited barriers on entry are overbearing, at least in Rejuvenation, for a variety of reasons.

First off, Rejuvenation is supersaturated with various field effects, insta-buff seeds, and fast, powerful boss mons that make more defensive strategies much less viable than they ordinarily would be. In a setting where so, so many opponents get turn-one 50% boosts to their offenses and defenses from Seeds, in addition to whatever field effects that might be in play, permitting a 50% boost for purely defensive options on a very limited number of otherwise unviable mons seems justified to me.

Second, Mr. Mime is just plain bad at its original role as the barrier mon due to power creep. HP and defenses in the 40s are just not acceptable, particularly when there are many mons that outspeed or have priority, as well as barrier-breaking moves. Wasting a turn setting up screens, probably depending on a focus sash or dumb luck in the process, means that Mr. Mime would otherwise be a liability on the team compared to the many, many bulkier screen-setters like Aromatisse, Cresselia, Meganium, and Uxie.

Third, there’s also the fact that Rejuvenation throws an unpredictable mix of singles and double battles at the player, which means that if your team is overly optimized for one role, it suffers in the other. My crests for Mr. Mime and Oranguru are designed so that more singles-oriented teams can have a better weapon against bespoke, doubles-optimized teams, without having to waste too many team slots or moveslots doing so. It’s particularly valuable when the player is teamed up and has no control over the (often severely disadvantaged) NPC team as well, which is doubly punishing for monotypes and singles-oriented teams.

I fail to see why. Steelix exist, no need for crests for pre evolutions. 

Onix wasn’t always a pre-evolution, and I think it’s even more different from Steelix as Phione is from Manaphy, and Phione gets a crest, though obviously that’s a more complicated relationship.

Besides, do I need to have a need or a reason to fix something so blatantly wrong for the sake of a fandom-specific meme? Rejuvenation is not always a super-serious endeavor—look no further than Grigus, that maid dancing the Charleston, or Knife Corsola. Will you begrudge me a bit of whimsical weirdness?

Oranguru is very fat already, defensive one will survive about any move used on him. He only got 2 weaknesses and 1 of them is bug. How often do you see X-Scissor as a cover move? Instead, since he is so focused on meditating, he can double the effects of any stat raising moves he uses (not applicable to items). Meaning Nasty Plot, Calm Mind and such become deadly on him. It will also not break him because he is also very slow so to sweep he need to survive full 2 turns to buff up and to Trick Room. 

That still seems a bit OP to me, considering Oranguru’s offensive stats, and I wanted to do something with Oranguru’s doubles focus and its unique move, Instruct. I suppose I could leave off the defense boost, but then it has no benefit in singles. See the dilemma?

Only if it changes it's ability on No Guard. Swift Swim + No Guard dynamic pucnhes is a bit too much. 

Maybe, but don’t forget that Dynamicpunch has low PP and confusion has been nerfed so that you only hit yourself 1/3 of the time instead of 1/2 the time like in older generations. Plus, y’know, it still won’t do Poliwrath much good against the likes of Crobat, Togekiss, or Duskclops. Indeed, pretty much any ghost with Will-O-Wisp is guaranteed to neuter Poliwrath, since it now can’t miss. Then there’s the fact that Poliwrath is dependent on rain for that, and weather can run out or be changed quite quickly.

Dont see a need to grass type boost, but he would benefit from STAB on Flying type moves + Aerialate. Since he is a fan and makes a lot of winds.

Sure, that makes sense. It does learn things like Air Cutter and Hurricane, after all.

Absolutely not. That's the most RNG thing i've heard all week. And anything that add more RNG can go die in a fire.

Might just be a fundamental difference in opinion on that score. I don’t mind RNG, and I think Spinda needs all the help it can get.

Instead: using any of the dance moves turns Spinda into a Dancer Spinda, upping all his stats by 50% and gives it a Protean ability to utilize his pretty good movepool. It still will have only 90 base stats in everything, and also need to actually get off either Rain Dance or Teeter Dance with his awful stats. 

Hm. That seems a bit overly complex for a Crest, which should do one or two things at most. If it could be shortened down to a few key points, maybe, but I’d also like to see confusion play into things somehow because that’s Spinda’s whole schtick. Protean seems a bit out of the blue for Spinda, except insofar as Spinda is erratic and unpredictable.

This one is not known for singing tho. This one is with amazing fur and ability to inflate himself. Instead: playing off his iflating, he gets Stockpile on entry and any contact moves, made by enemy, charm opponent. 

I could see an argument for giving Wigglytuff Fluffy or Fur Coat. Stockpile, I’m more “eh” on. That seems more the province of gluttonous Pokémon, even though Wigglytuff does learn it, whereas it and its pre-evolution are more famous for singing.

Anyway, thanks again for your ideas, I really liked some of them. Can I take it that the ones you didn’t comment on you liked, or at least didn’t have a problem with?

7 minutes ago, HirsuteMonkey said:

Anyway, thanks again for your ideas, I really liked some of them. Can I take it that the ones you didn’t comment on you liked, or at least didn’t have a problem with?

Mosty, yeah. I really liked some, was indifferent to others, but didnt have a problem with those i didnt comment on. I disagree with some points but your ideas still have a lot of merit, logic and effort behind them, i just wanted to insert my opinions about them. Hopefully more people will insert their insight into this, it's a lot of work after all. 

• Upvote 1

My idea for a Maractus crest was to give it fairy stab/resistances as well as the pixilate ability effect. I like your idea of applying spikes on hit with certain moves though, I considered a layer of spikes on send out but with how that would ruin focus sash with no risk, your idea seems better. My main reason for fairy type was to have it be a kind of counterpart to the other cactus pokemon, Cacturn's dark type. Pixilate ability or something like it would be needed as Maractus learns no fairy type moves, but does get return and hyper voice, allowing for physical or special sets.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

This is notably late but I hope it’s a decent idea:

Sylveon Crest - Sets up Misty Terrain on entry + Leftovers recovery 

It has a lot of amazing synergies that come with this crest that would turn it into an amazing support or a powerful attacker.

On the offensive side, its own Pixilate ability gets improved from a 1.2x boost to a 1.5x boost while in the terrain, but a lot of moves it learns get boosted, such as Mystical Fire and Magical Leaf (while the latter isn’t generally used, the 1.5x boost that both of these moves get makes it completely viable for coverage), as well as the 1.5x special defence boost it would gain because of its own Fairy Typing. Finally, the Leftovers recovery is there as a bonus for Sylveon so the crest isn’t useless once the Terrain wears off, that way it’s not always forced to switch out and back in after 5 turns (would still be a good idea to make the most of it tho)

On the supportive side, it has enhancements to its own team like status immunity for grounded mons, the move wish gets enhanced to heal 75% of the users HP which Sylveon can learn and it weakens common powerful attacks like Shadow Ball + Dark Pulse AND weakens all Dragon Type moves to 0.5x. You could very well build a team around Sylveon or let it function on its own with any mons you’d like!

Of course as mentioned above this does come with the drawback of only lasting 5 turns because it can’t hold an amplified rock, additionally once the terrain has worn off Sylveon loses all the above benefits (minus the Leftovers recovery) until it switches back in or has another ally set up Misty Terrain for it but in my opinion I feel like these would help balance it out from being stronger than it already is. 

If anyone reads this I hope it’s a good suggestion, thank you <3