The Trickery Badge (Brief V13 spoiler)

Lucifer Morningstar

(note: I'm intentionally keeping my references to the Puppet Master spoiler free)

Something has been on my mind since playing Vague Clarity.

One of the first events is a battle with Melia who was newly made the reserve Normal-type gym leader because as Marionette is not a registered gym leader, the badge received from her was deemed invalid. 

This is perfectly logical however this logic should also invalidate the trickery badge as the Puppet Master was not a registered gym leader either. In fact, that badge was actually meant to be Lavender's and the Puppet Master had taken it upon himself to substitute for her because she was in the hospital. He even states in the note he'd left with the badge that he'd taken it from her stash and redesigned it.   

We also had Angie and Souta who were questionable but after the Angie battle, it was Kreiss the registered ice-type gym leader who'd awarded the badge and as Souta's information had been added to Jan's files he was more or less a legal substitute if not the actual acting flying-type leader as of V13 since Talon is now referred to as the reserve flying-type gym leader.  That's a little confusing to be honest but I digress. 

The Puppet Master has no such exception, the psychic type gym battle had been expected to be with Lavender. The reserve didn't even seem to be considered while she was in the hospital and it's possible that there isn't one for the psychic type. We know there isn't one for every type since Dark and Fairy had been unoccupied since before the beginning of the game's timeline until Alice and Allen just stepped up. 

So why hasn't the trickery badge been put to question? I'm sure Lavender would OK, she basically does right after we save her from the hospital when she tells us that she still wants to battle us for fun it but it should still at least have come up. 

• Upvote 1

It's not the battle that is important, it's the chip inside the badge, and the chip inside the badge puppet master took from Lavender stash is as legit as it gets. You could just steal all the badges for all you care and they would be considered valid. 

8 hours ago, Cyphre said:

It's not the battle that is important, it's the chip inside the badge, and the chip inside the badge puppet master took from Lavender stash is as legit as it gets. You could just steal all the badges for all you care and they would be considered valid. 

But Alexandra found such a chip in the Normality Badge did she not?

24 minutes ago, Lucifer Morningstar said:

But Alexandra found such a chip in the Normality Badge did she not?

It was more of a symbolic battle. Everyone is well aware at this point that our protag is a living battering ram.