I could use some clarification after finishing Ep 5 (SPOILERS)

DecShep

So I just finished Desolation, and I really loved it. But, I admit I am nowhere near as smart as most others who can pick up on everything, or who may have explored more and found some hidden lore etc, so I wanted to ask for some clarification as far as whats seen so far in game.

So, the main antagonist is Darkrai (duh), and he wanted to get to Ayrith. We are initially led to believe the Dreamscape/Odis Village is the real world and Ayrith is the Dream World. However my understanding is that its the opposite. Dreamscape is, well the Dream World (I mean its in the name lol) Dakrai seems to have been trapped in some in between world. In this universe there exists special 'Dreamers' who basically seem to be Lucid Dreamers, with certain people (Twins, Nova, Lilith and MC) having even more unique abilities. (Though I'm confused on what these abilities are)

To escape from his world, Darkrai needed to possess one of these Special Dreamers and have them wake up in Ayrith so he could be free. As Nova/Lilith stated everyone in Odis Village were people who were not the extra special Dreamers, just the mediocre special Dreamers. Darkrai was able to semi possess the Twins and Nova since they were in the Dreamscape which he seems to have some influence over, but not fully as he was only able to use them as puppets and not use them to escape. So this whole time the Twins and Nova were actually just Darkrai slaves manipulating us to get to where Darkrai was. Something happened that removed Darkrai's control over Nova. 

Lilith was their first attempt, like MC they manipulated her life to get her close to Darkrai but she was able to resist, so they found MC instead after that. Lilith knew we were the next target, and tried to help us/prepare us. 

It seems there are good/bad endings, I'm unsure of how they affect the game. Granted I assume the point is we find out in the next Episode. I followed a guide and got all the prompts. I saved Nova and refused the offer.

So idk if I am understanding it all or am I missing some stuff. I also have some questions.

1) I am really confused on Nova and the twins. They were all pawns from the start right? So what was that whole thing with Nova attacking Shiv and stealing Aurora's powers? Weren't they on the same team? Didn't Nova have her own abilities? What did she steal from Aurora? Why did she stab Shiv? How did he survive? Then the whole ordeal with Aurora trying to kill Nova, Shiv protecting her etc. Idk how to explain why it confuses me.

2) The twins in general. I am unsure of their backstory. Darkrai created the manor for them? They are the most special? I don't even know what their powers are or how they have them.

3) What were the other endings? What happens if you accept his offer? Or if you reject him but fail? Seems there is a good, neutral and bad ending?

I think thats it. Sorry for asking a lot or if I'm just really dumb lmao.

1) I am really confused on Nova and the twins. They were all pawns from the start right? So what was that whole thing with Nova attacking Shiv and stealing Aurora's powers? Weren't they on the same team? Didn't Nova have her own abilities? What did she steal from Aurora? Why did she stab Shiv? How did he survive? Then the whole ordeal with Aurora trying to kill Nova, Shiv protecting her etc. Idk how to explain why it confuses me.

2) The twins in general. I am unsure of their backstory. Darkrai created the manor for them? They are the most special? I don't even know what their powers are or how they have them.

Ehhh, not really ?

I feel like picking apart the various question would just be more confusing than needed, so I'll give what I assume to be the plotline of the twins and nova.

1) Shiv and Aurora are two normal persons living a mostly normal life to the exception their parents seem absent from their lives.

2) Both of them starts discovering they have superpowers. Aurora initially hates the fact they make her an abnormality and wants get rid of them, while Shiv decides to essentially have fun with them. Becoming the champion, fuck around with the inhabitants of Addenfall, that kind of thing.

3) Aurora tries to present her findings about her powers to a scientific comitee, gets laughed out of it, murders them and decides that actually having superpowers rules.

Meanwhile, Shiv catches a depression for not knowing what to do with his life, since, and it turns out having superpowers doesn't actually answers that question in life.

4) Aurora decides to pick up pokemon battling and beat shiv at it to give him something to improve over, doesn't work. Shiv decides that fucking with the people of Addenfall town and have them unearth the Onyx stone and try to exploit it's power is a logical course of action. He may or may not have outright brainwashed keegan/kuiki during this period.

5) Shiv's depression gets worse as it turns out the Onyx stone really is a piece of useless rock. Enter Nova, who at the time is already a pawn of Darkrai(nothing about nova is elaborated prior to that point). She's got a weaker version of the twins's powers but makes up for it by being able to vampirize the twins for more power. Nova ends up getting along well enough with Shiv she actually gets him out of his depression.

6) Nova tries to steal Aurora's powers and stabs Shiv. Shiv seemingly survive because A)powers I guess ? B) unrealistic representation of lethality of injuries in fiction. 

7) Sometimes after that the twins become pawns of Dakrai too, unclear when it happened or how.

8) Shiv and Nova, working as pawns of Darkrai, set up this little conflict about Ideal VS reality to bait the player. while initially entirely an act, the longer the twins spend away from the dreamscape, the more they readapt to reality being actually real, the more they actually geniunely invest themselves in it - not unlike even the most vivid dream fades out over the course of the day if you don't go out of your way to remember it.

Aurora is doing her own thing but still a pawn of Darkrai. Maybe she was also supposed to bait the player at first with an act of "going after Nova for revenge" and ended up getting too invested in it since she does geniunely hate Nova for that night.

9) By the time the showdown at cellia central happens, pretty much everyone is fully invested in this supposedly manufactured conflict.

-Aurora wants to Kill Nova because A)she hurt her brother and she has Yandere tendencies toward Shiv as her dialogue with the player before batling indicates and B) she stole part of  Aurora's power, and Aurora has developed control freak tendencies that do not vibe with this.

-Nova just wants to not fucking die 

-Shiv doesn't exactly like Nova either but still deeply cares about her, because, she may have only entered her life to stab him and steal his powers, she geniunely helped him out of depression, which is something he's grateful for. Also he's clearly alive and kicking so it's not like the knife stab left him scarred for life. Plus it's not like the powers did much for him anyway, so he doesn't seem to majorly resent whatever Nova took from him.

Depending of how you do things during cellia, Aurora can geniunely come to empathize with Shiv's POV, which shakes her further from Darkrai's influence.

10) Right as everyone could almost go back to being regular people, Aurora is sent back to the Dreamscape where Darkrai's influence grows again and reality starts feeling like the dream again, Nova goes missing, presumably becuase Darkrai tries to kill her, while shiv goes looking for Nova by going after Team Crescent's leadership.

11)Shiv eventually rejoins the dream because of you during the events of bountilia Island.

12)Both twins, once again mostly under Darkrai's control, try to lure you into siding with him.

13)Should you refuse, Darkrai tries to get rid of you too but Nova, who has apparently managed to sever ties from Darkrai's influence entirely saves your ass.

14)which brings us to the end of the current build, with Nova free from Darkrai, Shiv still having lingering doubts because of his connection with Nova, while Aurora seems more under Darkrai's control.

The nature of the Twins's superpowers are quite unclear, but from what we can gather, they're small-scale reality warpers - they can teleport, turn inanimate matter into pokemons, make them grow at an unnatural speed, open portals to the grid without the need for machines. The game initially explains it as "the twins are actually normal people lucid dreaming and bending the fake reality to their whim", but that explanation is shown to be wrong by the fact A) Aurora still has her powers in the Dreamscape, and B) that the dreamscape is the actual dream, after all. 

A better explanation would be the one given by darkrai to the player towards the end - the player, as well as the twins and Nova, are conduits of energy who can freely enter and exit the dream world. I suppose this also means you can use that ability to do most of the powers they're shown to use over the course of the story if you're creative enough about it.

The twins aren't actually the most super special people out there, as the honor apparently goes to the player.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yumil said:

Ehhh, not really ?

I feel like picking apart the various question would just be more confusing than needed, so I'll give what I assume to be the plotline of the twins and nova.

1) Shiv and Aurora are two normal persons living a mostly normal life to the exception their parents seem absent from their lives.

2) Both of them starts discovering they have superpowers. Aurora initially hates the fact they make her an abnormality and wants get rid of them, while Shiv decides to essentially have fun with them. Becoming the champion, fuck around with the inhabitants of Addenfall, that kind of thing.

3) Aurora tries to present her findings about her powers to a scientific comitee, gets laughed out of it, murders them and decides that actually having superpowers rules.

Meanwhile, Shiv catches a depression for not knowing what to do with his life, since, and it turns out having superpowers doesn't actually answers that question in life.

4) Aurora decides to pick up pokemon battling and beat shiv at it to give him something to improve over, doesn't work. Shiv decides that fucking with the people of Addenfall town and have them unearth the Onyx stone and try to exploit it's power is a logical course of action. He may or may not have outright brainwashed keegan/kuiki during this period.

5) Shiv's depression gets worse as it turns out the Onyx stone really is a piece of useless rock. Enter Nova, who at the time is already a pawn of Darkrai(nothing about nova is elaborated prior to that point). She's got a weaker version of the twins's powers but makes up for it by being able to vampirize the twins for more power. Nova ends up getting along well enough with Shiv she actually gets him out of his depression.

6) Nova tries to steal Aurora's powers and stabs Shiv. Shiv seemingly survive because A)powers I guess ? B) unrealistic representation of lethality of injuries in fiction. 

7) Sometimes after that the twins become pawns of Dakrai too, unclear when it happened or how.

8) Shiv and Nova, working as pawns of Darkrai, set up this little conflict about Ideal VS reality to bait the player. while initially entirely an act, the longer the twins spend away from the dreamscape, the more they readapt to reality being actually real, the more they actually geniunely invest themselves in it - not unlike even the most vivid dream fades out over the course of the day if you don't go out of your way to remember it.

Aurora is doing her own thing but still a pawn of Darkrai. Maybe she was also supposed to bait the player at first with an act of "going after Nova for revenge" and ended up getting too invested in it since she does geniunely hate Nova for that night.

9) By the time the showdown at cellia central happens, pretty much everyone is fully invested in this supposedly manufactured conflict.

-Aurora wants to Kill Nova because A)she hurt her brother and she has Yandere tendencies toward Shiv as her dialogue with the player before batling indicates and B) she stole part of  Aurora's power, and Aurora has developed control freak tendencies that do not vibe with this.

-Nova just wants to not fucking die 

-Shiv doesn't exactly like Nova either but still deeply cares about her, because, she may have only entered her life to stab him and steal his powers, she geniunely helped him out of depression, which is something he's grateful for. Also he's clearly alive and kicking so it's not like the knife stab left him scarred for life. Plus it's not like the powers did much for him anyway, so he doesn't seem to majorly resent whatever Nova took from him.

Depending of how you do things during cellia, Aurora can geniunely come to empathize with Shiv's POV, which shakes her further from Darkrai's influence.

10) Right as everyone could almost go back to being regular people, Aurora is sent back to the Dreamscape where Darkrai's influence grows again and reality starts feeling like the dream again, Nova goes missing, presumably becuase Darkrai tries to kill her, while shiv goes looking for Nova by going after Team Crescent's leadership.

11)Shiv eventually rejoins the dream because of you during the events of bountilia Island.

12)Both twins, once again mostly under Darkrai's control, try to lure you into siding with him.

13)Should you refuse, Darkrai tries to get rid of you too but Nova, who has apparently managed to sever ties from Darkrai's influence entirely saves your ass.

14)which brings us to the end of the current build, with Nova free from Darkrai, Shiv still having lingering doubts because of his connection with Nova, while Aurora seems more under Darkrai's control.

The nature of the Twins's superpowers are quite unclear, but from what we can gather, they're small-scale reality warpers - they can teleport, turn inanimate matter into pokemons, make them grow at an unnatural speed, open portals to the grid without the need for machines. The game initially explains it as "the twins are actually normal people lucid dreaming and bending the fake reality to their whim", but that explanation is shown to be wrong by the fact A) Aurora still has her powers in the Dreamscape, and B) that the dreamscape is the actual dream, after all. 

A better explanation would be the one given by darkrai to the player towards the end - the player, as well as the twins and Nova, are conduits of energy who can freely enter and exit the dream world. I suppose this also means you can use that ability to do most of the powers they're shown to use over the course of the story if you're creative enough about it.

The twins aren't actually the most super special people out there, as the honor apparently goes to the player.

Wow thank you so much! You really took the time out to explain for me, I appreciate that so much.

I understand its hard to answer a lot as were only on Episode 5, and I get the feeling were really only half way. Maybe slightly more than half way. I hope we see more about what makes us special, since the Twins clearly have borderline reality warping. So damn what could the player have?? 

I'm really looking forward to seeing me. Thank you again, that was so nice of you to write out this long and thought out reply :)

Yeah, tbh I'm kinda curious where the story plans on going from there, because E5 could be a second-to-last episode and I'd shrug and say "yeah that feels pretty appropriate to me", so I dunno what caz has in store for the half of the game we still have to go through but it's probably gonna take us for a ride again.

And you're welcome, Deso lives rent free in my head so it's always nice to let it out somewhere and talk about it.