Do boss mons have EVs more than 252 or IVs more than 31?

Fiasom

What I'm trying to understand here is the mechanics of the game.

So I'm fighting Ghost Keta. I use my Floatzel to take down his Donphan no problem. Next he throws in his Lapras; my Floatzel is in a pinch and will go down to one move, no questions about that. But I should be able to hit that Lapras without using a priority move since Floatzel is faster than Lapras by far. I use Tail Slap, but Lapras uses Body Slam first and KOs the Floatzel.

My lvl 25 Floatzel has 16 IV and 26 EV for speed at this point, granting it a speed stat of 68 (neutral nature). I check on showdown teambuilder, and a lvl 24 Lapras with a perfect speed IV of 31 and perfect speed EV of 252 plus a speed boosting nature, at maximum gives the Lapras total speed stat of 61. So how the f**k does his Lapras out speed my Floatzel? (There are no relevant field effects in place that will help the Lapras out speed the Floatzel.)

7 minutes ago, Fiasom said:

What I'm trying to understand here is the mechanics of the game.

So I'm fighting Ghost Keta. I use my Floatzel to take down his Donphan no problem. Next he throws in his Lapras; my Floatzel is in a pinch and will go down to one move, no questions about that. But I should be able to hit that Lapras without using a priority move since Floatzel is faster than Lapras by far. I use Tail Slap, but Lapras uses Body Slam first and KOs the Floatzel.

My lvl 25 Floatzel has 16 IV and 26 EV for speed at this point, granting it a speed stat of 68 (neutral nature). I check on showdown teambuilder, and a lvl 24 Lapras with a perfect speed IV of 31 and perfect speed EV of 252 plus a speed boosting nature, at maximum gives the Lapras total speed stat of 61. So how the f**k does his Lapras out speed my Floatzel? (There are no relevant field effects in place that will help the Lapras out speed the Floatzel.)

Quick Claw maybe?

6 minutes ago, Lord Drakyle said:

Boss fights are meant to be a challenge.

Challange is one thing, impossibility is another. What is legal in this game? That Lapras cannot outspeed my Floatzel legally. Reborn is using PULSE mons to give them extra EVs, I get that. Hard challenge. This is something different. I need an answer to whether I need ridiculous gimmicks to win the battles, or can I actually focus on building a proper team?

Otherwise - given that quick claw isn't available yet - I know to grind on the Noibats around till I get 252 speed EVs on my Floatzel. Or, since the time sunk to grinding isn't worth it, quit the game.

2 minutes ago, Fiasom said:

Challange is one thing, impossibility is another. What is legal in this game? That Lapras cannot outspeed my Floatzel legally. Reborn is using PULSE mons to give them extra EVs, I get that. Hard challenge. This is something different. I need an answer to whether I need ridiculous gimmicks to win the battles, or can I actually focus on building a proper team?

Otherwise - given that quick claw isn't available yet - I know to grind on the Noibats around till I get 252 speed EVs on my Floatzel. Or, since the time sunk to grinding isn't worth it, quit the game.

There is nothing impossible about the fight.

Just now, Lord Drakyle said:

There is nothing impossible about the fight.

There is something legally impossible about that Lapras outspeeding my Floatzel. What are the mechanics that make that possible?

Otherwise of course f*king of course there is nothing impossible about the fight, I've beaten in my previous runs. I want to know what the reigning mechanics are.

Just now, Fiasom said:

There is something legally impossible about that Lapras outspeeding my Floatzel. What are the mechanics that make that possible?

Otherwise of course f*king of course there is nothing impossible about the fight, I've beaten in my previous runs. I want to know what the reigning mechanics are.

i literally just told you, the Lapras may be holding a Quick Claw an item that can randomly make the holder's attack have a much higher priority and therefore go first

1 minute ago, Clearly Sus said:

Did you Floatzel get hit by bulldoze? It lowers the speed stat

Aye I think that's what happened. Stupid me. I'm drunk. I ought to delete this topic now.

5 minutes ago, pizzagod13 said:

I just checked if you were -1 speed the lapras would speed tie you even with 0 Speed Evs. It would need max speed IV and nature tho. If it had some Evs in speed it would always outspeed you.

And just as I was typing this a crit by the Floatzel on the Donphan changed the course of the battle and I won. FTS.