starter dilemma

loghorizon

Back to V12 I started with Blaziken. I overall thought it to be a better option than Greninja. Now that V13 is out, though I still haven't started playing, I was wondering what would be a better option, Cinderace or Blaziken? I might be siding with Blaziken, the bulk up - speed boost combination saved me quite a few times, but for a fire move I chose blaze kick over flare blitz, since I already had brave bird as a recoil move, so I thought it would be better like this. But with pyro ball and high jump kick for the Cinderace, I' m still quite undecided. So, what do you think is better for my new run, Blaziken or Cinderace? And for the sake of it, let's also put in the discussion Greninja. So, Greninja, Blaziken, or Cinderace?

Greninja and Cinderace  is basically the same in ability but cinderace being the one with better attacks between the two. Now blaziken on the other hand has great moves like cinderace and with speed boost he is almost the first 1 to move next turn plus the mega evolution too which i think is a little help by the time you get it tho. So if i will choose between the 3 ill go for blaziken with the moves you said but add protect so he always gets a speed boost before he attacks

So yeah blaziken with Adamant and 252 atk evs and 252 hp ev with the move protect, flare blitz (or blaze kick if you dont want recoil), high jump kick and add whatever you want as last 

Both are pretty good. Greninja is now obtainable in game so I would say not to go for it.

As for Blaziken and Cinderace. Blaziken has worse speed at first but speed boost would improve it.  However do note for Blaziken would need to wait 2 turns in order to be faster than Cinderace. Blaziken has higher damage as well but Cinderace getting Stab on every move would probably yield higher damage. Cinderace appart from Pyro Ball only gets strong moves from breeding amd TM so that is there as well.

Honestly it boils down to how much speed will you need. I personally would go for Cinderace but have a sticky web user on my team to make sure opponet cant outspeed me. 

• Upvote 1

During my first playthrough I chose blaziken as my starter. With V13 out I'm doing a second run and i chose cinderace as my starter. Both runs are on intense mode. I can say without a doubt that

Blaziken is the best starter available in the game, period. Cinderace's libero doesnt really become good until you get to the egg move tutor (which is now in a significantly later part of the game), since

thats where you get highjump kick and sucker punch. You cannot get those moves before then and you'll already have been through about 75% of the game at that point. Cinderace's movepool by level up and the tms that are available to you is garbage.  Right now im about ~lvl 55-60 and pyro ball and double edge are my only strong moves. With blaziken you get blaze kick but you can also get highjump kick and flare blitz from the NORMAL move relearner (which youll get at about the 1/3 point in the game). Blaziken also learns bulk up by level up so your able to set up and sweep with speed boost. In the very late game maybe cinderace can be on-par with blaziken but for 80-90% of the game there is no contest between the two. 

40 minutes ago, 7ravens said:

During my first playthrough I chose blaziken as my starter. With V13 out I'm doing a second run and i chose cinderace as my starter. Both runs are on intense mode. I can say without a doubt that

Blaziken is the best starter available in the game, period. Cinderace's libero doesnt really become good until you get to the egg move tutor (which is now in a significantly later part of the game), since

thats where you get highjump kick and sucker punch. You cannot get those moves before then and you'll already have been through about 75% of the game at that point. Cinderace's movepool by level up and the tms that are available to you is garbage.  Right now im about ~lvl 55-60 and pyro ball and double edge are my only strong moves. With blaziken you get blaze kick but you can also get highjump kick and flare blitz from the NORMAL move relearner (which youll get at about the 1/3 point in the game). Blaziken also learns bulk up by level up so your able to set up and sweep with speed boost. In the very late game maybe cinderace can be on-par with blaziken but for 80-90% of the game there is no contest between the two. 

Off topic but when exactly is egg move relearner available?

18 hours ago, Yahiro said:

Off topic but when exactly is egg move relearner available?

In V12 it used to be the sheridan girl you saved from the kristiline help center, but now that girl is the normal move relearner. I think the egg relearner is now the move relearner in GDC.