Gen 6 Sprites

Baros

I wanted to make this thread to see if we could help out the team making the Reborn game what it is with Sprites we may have ready for Gen 6 when they finally do add it.

Heres some I have, edited by me like an amateur (literally the first sprites I've ever touched lol)

sgk7pf.jpg <---- I didn't make this one though I tried to re-size it make the colouring a tiny bit better for the game.

10hstg8.jpg <---- This one I'm proud to say was all me. I took the original Charizard sprite and added a horn, made the wings talon-parts longer and more pronounced and made the lower+upper jaw slightly thicker.

7awy.jpg<---- Edited together 2 of these Sprites I found online to make a nice template for a party icon.

Also for those of you that really want a Yveltal like me here are some very very useful sprites I found online.

2rfa909.jpg

Which actually makes me ask, is there any way we could edit out a pokemon we don't really like and replace with Yveltal in our personal game? Is that even allowed? I've heard of YAPE but that only works on Roms as far as I know.

I mean replacing Bidoof's sprites and Yveltal's name+ (predicted) Moveset is it possible or no?

Anyway hope this helps :)!

Well replacing sprites isn't that hard and I don't really see why someone would be against of it. As you only replace the image seen in game, not replacing pokémons with legendaries or anything. I personally changed Blastoise's sprite to Gen 5 one since the Gen 4 one used by game is kinda ugly...

Keep in mind that Mega-evolutions do not need party sprites, as they can only evolve in-battle (unless the mechanic is going to be different in Pokemon Reborn).

Also, the guys at Pokemon Showdown are making a bunch of Gen 6 sprites for use in their simulator. In case we can't/don't make all of the sprites, we can use some of the sprites that they make.

Sounds good :)

Yeah luckily the sprite changing in this game is fairly easy, I'm just also wondering about stats and names etc?

I mean I meant if I wanted to take Bidoof out of the game and replace it with lets say Yveltal in name, moves and stats how would I go about that? I just really dig the new red and black legendary:O!

• Administrators

Keep in mind that Mega-evolutions do not need party sprites, as they can only evolve in-battle (unless the mechanic is going to be different in Pokemon Reborn).

Also, the guys at Pokemon Showdown are making a bunch of Gen 6 sprites for use in their simulator. In case we can't/don't make all of the sprites, we can use some of the sprites that they make.

This is true? If so, and assuming we can get permission to use them (or whatever PO uses) then this will be a huge load off of my shoulders

I appreciate this topic, guys. I was going to make something like this myself but I decided it would be better to wait for the game's release.

To address other concerns:

• It won't be practical to replace pokemon currently in the game temporarily
  • Adding new Pokemon is more or less easy, if tedious, and I may set up a forum topic for everyone to help out with this. Our only real obstacle is the sprites.
  • Mega Evos are a different story, and I think we need to worry about those only after we get all of the normal 6th gen Pokemon in.
  • I am going to be very picky about sprite quality. For instance, that Mega-charizard front sprite looks to be unusable. This may just be poor resizing, though. I'd have to see the original. At a glance, the back-sprite looks okay, though I need to confirm dimensions on these.
  • Battle sprites should be 80x80 at a normal resolution, or 160x160 at the resolution the game will use (they will eventually need to be in this format)
  • There is no restriction on overworld sprite sizes but I need at least two frames per facing (up, down, side). The two frames are usually something like, left-foot-forward, right-foot-forward. Overworld sprites are optional but it will be very difficult to do sidequest events for Pokemon without overworld sprites.
  • Icons are 128x64 for game-use or 64x32 at normal resolution. These are also two frames. Check Graphics/Icon/ for reference.
  • There's no restriction on color depth, transparency, or background (provided it is a solid colour)

At a glance, the Ylvetal sprite sheet looks great except lacking a second icon frame, although I haven't checked the dimensions on it. It is, at the least, quality work.

Well in the case of the front for Mega Charizard

mega_charizard_y_sprite_by_flamejow-d6m3

2jfya9y.jpg <_-- I also have these two.

Yeah I must say all these works are pretty good all around. I can think of a few ideas to do with Mega Evolutions. If I think up anything really good I'll send you something Ame, it might help for later on when you guys decide to implement them if you do. No rush on the Gen 6 or Mega Evolutions though, this thread is just to allow people to help out.

You saw it yourself guys! Any help with sprites this thread is a great place to put it. :)

So what about when you mega-evolve a pokemon and then open the party window to say, check stats or moves or use an item?

So what about when you mega-evolve a pokemon and then open the party window to say, check stats or moves or use an item?

Whether the party sprite will change because of that has yet to be seen. If the sprite does change in X/Y, then party sprites will be necessary. If not, then I suppose they would be optional instead.

I don't know this for sure, but do Pokemon such as Castform and Cherrim that can change forms in-battle have differing party sprites? If so, then I believe that Mega-Evolutions would treat party sprites in the same manner. Or at least it can be a shortcut that we can use in the case that Mega-Evolution coding proves too difficult (having mega-evolution be treated as a form-change by the game).

Edited by WhiteyMcFly

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

There's also the small problem of back sprites.

Though I'm happy these were made.

Yeaaaaah backsprites are a huge issue

But this is a great start.

I'm putting a note in with the E10 release calling any bored spriters, and we'll probably just put this up as a free-for-all to see what can be improved.