Ideas of team members to balance

Krellian

Hello guys, Krellian here!

As we all anxiously wait for episode 19, i would like to share something with you. I am thinking of a team, of a balanced team, and i cant seem to choose the rest of my pokemons. 

You see, the only ones i REALLY want in are Arcanine (my favourite pokemon EVER) and Mega Medicham (Ive become very fond of my Kannon).,

I've decided to make a fresh run once ep. 19 is out, so i want your opinion on this subject: which pokemons would you think would be a good match for those other two? Before you answer, i wanna ask two things:

- No repeating types;

- At least one starter (yeah, i like to keep my starters from the very beginning)

So, what do you guys think?

PS: Ah, one personal doubt: what is your position regarding weather/field manipulation teams here in Reborn?

Primarina,Early game moxie mightyena is also broken, dont know about late game though but radomus is lots easier(Bite bus extra attack),later game escavalier,Muks decent,magnemite,magneton and magnezone, and usually some of the egg pokemon as well.Those are just suggestions.

Could start with a Fire/Water/Grass core with Arcanine, Amoonguss and Swampert, then grab a Bisharp as your Psychic, Ghost, Dark, and Dragon resists, and a fast attacker like Noivern, Heliolisk or Weavile to finish off the team.

No shared types can make it really awkward to teambuild sometimes... Weavile is almost certainly your best choice in that last slot since your team has few good answers to certain bulky Ground types (Torterra, Gliscor, Garchomp being the main offenders), and it's just generally an amazing offensive pairing with Mega Medicham, but whoops, it shares a type with Bisharp. You could go with a different Steel type (or a Fairy), but Weavile isn't actually bulky enough for its resistances to matter. Mega Mawile would make up all but 1 of the resists but you already have a mega. Klefki, I suppose...? The team's too balanced for screens but could make good use of paralysis and Spikes support. Regular Mawile can take its slot until you make it to late game, and something like Jynx or Mamoswine would be your best early version of Weavile. Everything else is available by Apophyll.

That would make the final team look something like this: https://pokepast.es/4e0b043b355a3684

Obviously there's stuff up for grabs, Arcanine could use Heat Wave, Crunch or Close Combat, Swampert could be a Curse sweeper, Klefki can run a Steel STAB instead of Foul Play, and Medicham could forego Fake Out either for more coverage or Bullet Punch. And of course these are always just suggestions, use whatever you like~

As for field effects and weather? Fair game. I don't like building entire teams around it but will implement them as strategies for specific fights when necessary. Something pretty fun to mess with is Corrosive Mist; it's very easy to set up (Misty Terrain -> switch to Gastrodon/Amoonguss -> double Clear Smog, or use Poisonium Z) and lets Salazzle go absolutely nuclear with a 50% boost to its Fire moves, another 50% to all its special moves, activated Venoshock, and Nasty Plot all on top of an excellent 117 base speed. You also have abusers like Nidoking/queen, Gengar, Gliscor/Breloom and Snorlax/Clefable/Reuniclus. Combine with Sun and watch Victreebel go insane with Weather Ball.

Taking advantage of field effects and changing the field to take their advantage away is just smart play.. only reason not to do it is to intentionally cripple yourself for a bigger challenge.

Are you planning on debugging the mons from the start or are you picking them up as they become available to you?

So with Mega-Cham not having the fastest base speed, I would try and build something around gaining speed control for yourself so you can sweep with Medicham as your main win condition, then find a backup win con.

Arcanine / Intimidate @ Leftovers

- Flare Blitz

- Close Combat

- Extreme Speed

- Morning Sun

Medicham / Huge Power @ Mega Stone

- Fake Out

- High Jump Kick

- Zen Headbutt

- Ice Punch

Whimsicott / Prankster @ Leftovers

- Moonblast

- Tailwind

- Leech Seed

- Protect / Giga Drain

Magnezone / Sturdy @ 

- Flash Cannon

- Thunderbolt

- Thunder Wave

- HP: Fire / Volt Switch (when available)

Swampert / Torrent @ Focus Sash (for important fights)

- Scald

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

- Stealth Rock

Honchkrow / Moxie @

- Sucker Punch

- Night Slash

- Brave Bird

- Tailwind / Roost

Alternative to Honch is Weavile / Pressure

- Ice Shard

- Icicle Crash

- Knock Off

- Fake Out

Serves a nice back up win condition / cleaner

Another idea could be to take advantage of Fake Out by using Toxic Spikes with an Infestation, Haze, Toxic Spikes, Recover Toxapex build. However I think you would have to compromise on your no-type-clash as you might need another Toxic setter in your team. Like Amoongus or something. Then give Brick Break to your Weavile as another tool to combat Steel types, together with Arcanine and Cham's HJK you have a win condition against Steel types, too.

Those are some very interesting thoughts guys, thanks! 

Guys, thank you very much for the opinions given, they are very interesting indeed. Honestly, im thinking of not using debug to get them, but maybe to give perfect IV's and Egg moves. 

I see some pokémons repeat, like Swampert and Weavile, which makes things even more interesting.

I'll take all into consideration to make my team.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, im back.

After some thought, i've come up with this team:

Empoleon / Torrent @ Leftovers
- Scald
- Flash Cannon
- Aqua Ring
- Iron Defense

Arcanine / Intimidate @ Leftovers
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Morning Sun
- Close Combat / Wild Charge (im not sure yet which one)

Medicham / Huge Power @ Mega Stone
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt / Psycho cut
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch (i like its recovery)

Eelektross / Levitate @Life orb
- Wild Charge
- Drain Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch (im gonna use Debug on this one)

Flygon / Levitate @ idk
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Steel Wing
- idk

Roserade / Natural Cure @ Life orb
- Sludge Bomb / Venonshock
- Giga Drain
- Toxic Spikes
- Power Gem (i know, ill debug this one too)

I don't know how well do they look overall, but i think they do have a good coverage and a lot of resistances. So, what do you say?

I suggest teaching Empoleon icy wind for speed control and type coverage. The tutor for the move is at the Agate circus area. For Flygon there are a lot of options available for the last slot. Fire punch and thunder punch from the move tutor after the city restoration. Also rock slide though I don't remember where you get the tm. But the one I suggest is tailwind from the move tutor after the city restoration. Another thing I suggest is to mine rocks for items to give to your pokemon. 

For Flygon, I'd recommend Dragon Dance as the last move; a good setup sweeper tends to be pretty useful, and it doesn't look like you have anything in that niche yet.  Might be worth considering Galvantula over Eelektross - sticky web gives you some pretty valuable speed control, and I could see bug type coverage coming in handy since medicham is otherwise going to have trouble against bulky psychic-types.  (Galvantula's defensive typing is worse than Eelektross's, but you've got ground/electric immunity on flygon and flying resist on empoleon, so team-wide you don't lose all that much, and empoleon can pick up stealth rock if you're concerned about hazards).

If you do keep eelektross, I could see a case for replacing stealth rocks with u-turn or volt switch and going assault vest - your team doesn't look very bulky, so it might be hard to get safe switches, and a slow pivot move help with that.  For similar reasons, a screens setter like klefki or alolan-ninetails might be worth considering finding a slot for.

Edit: Actually, fourth move on Flygon should probably be rock slide.  Flinch chance is really strong in doubles, and rock/ground is good type coverage generically.  Might be worth replacing steel wing to be able to have both slide and ddance; since it's non-STAB, steel wing will generally do less damage than earthquake even when hitting super-effectively, so it's only particularly helpful against the type-pairs that resist both dragon and ground, which is niche enough that you can just not use flygon in those situations.

Edited by R.B