Are trainers and fixed encounters EV/IV trained?

Reshy

I noticed a pretty major discrepancy when I started playing, trainer pokemon hit much harder than their wild counterparts.  I'm assuming that the game gives the trainers a high amount of EVs and IVs?  Wild pokemon tickling for like four points of damage, and same level pokemon on trainers doing about a quarter of the health bar.

1 hour ago, bobirobi20 said:

Yup they are. Some even have illegal EVs.

Alright, that's what I suspected.  When you say Illegal do you mean like in Gen 2 where a pokemon could have all stats trained, or pokemon have EV values in excess of what you normally can have on a single stat?  I'm assuming it's expected that I EV train from very early on?

Edited by Reshy

2 hours ago, Reshy said:

Alright, that's what I suspected.  When you say Illegal do you mean like in Gen 2 where a pokemon could have all stats trained, or pokemon have EV values in excess of what you normally can have on a single stat?  I'm assuming it's expected that I EV train from very early on?

You should probably be EV training by Radomus, since it’s around there that your opponents will be. It’s not required, but definitely makes things easier.

As for illegal IVs the answer is both, but not at the same time and not super often. Only one Pokemon so far has 252 in every stat, and it’s way at the end of Episode 18.

12 hours ago, wcv said:

You should probably be EV training by Radomus, since it’s around there that your opponents will be. It’s not required, but definitely makes things easier.

As for illegal IVs the answer is both, but not at the same time and not super often. Only one Pokemon so far has 252 in every stat, and it’s way at the end of Episode 18.

Does Reborn introduce any quicker ways to get an EV or IV trained pokemon?

24 minutes ago, Reshy said:

Does Reborn introduce any quicker ways to get an EV or IV trained pokemon?

You can't change IVs, that's going to be a post-game thing with bottle caps like the main games*. But IVs aren't really super important, just don't settle for 0 in your relevant stats (I personally try to get above 15 in relevant stats personally).

The fastest way to EV train most Pokemon is to grab the power items from the department store's 4th floor (So once you get two stickers, which is doable before Shelly), and then go fight the static Woobat encounters down in the underground. Set the game to Fast Forward (default is the left alt key), and turn off animations. Which means 63 Pokemon for all non-speed stats and 51 for speed. Unfortunately there's not really a faster option.

*At least I think that's been said, but now I can't find it, so you might just not be able to change IVs at all. I know that in the past Ame's said she doesn't like the idea. But like I said, IVs aren't really super important since the effect on stats of say a 25 vs a 31 is a small 6 points.

20 hours ago, wcv said:

This is news to me. Can you please elaborate? Or can you point to a post on the forum that does?

40 minutes ago, Progfan_r said:

This is news to me. Can you please elaborate? Or can you point to a post on the forum that does?

Eve tells you in Calcenon about it. The Pulse2 lets a Pokemon have maxed out EVs in every stat. So far the only Pulse2 Pokemon faced is Solaris's Garchomp in Agate City.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wcv said:

You can't change IVs, that's going to be a post-game thing with bottle caps like the main games*. But IVs aren't really super important, just don't settle for 0 in your relevant stats (I personally try to get above 15 in relevant stats personally).

The fastest way to EV train most Pokemon is to grab the power items from the department store's 4th floor (So once you get two stickers, which is doable before Shelly), and then go fight the static Woobat encounters down in the underground. Set the game to Fast Forward (default is the left alt key), and turn off animations. Which means 63 Pokemon for all non-speed stats and 51 for speed. Unfortunately there's not really a faster option.

*At least I think that's been said, but now I can't find it, so you might just not be able to change IVs at all. I know that in the past Ame's said she doesn't like the idea. But like I said, IVs aren't really super important since the effect on stats of say a 25 vs a 31 is a small 6 points.

The IV thing would certainly save some time, just trying to get a pokemon with above 20 in it's principle stats has been slow grind.

22 hours ago, wcv said:

So far the only Pulse2 Pokemon faced is Solaris's Garchomp in Agate City.

Ah okay. Did not know about Solaris's Garchomp being a Pulse2. That explains why it survived a Devastating Drake from my Noivern. Is there any visual indication for which mon is a Pulse2?

But also just to clarify, the Pulse2 mons have 252 EVs and 31 IVs in all their stats, don't they? Are there any mons with illegal IVs?

4 hours ago, Progfan_r said:

Ah okay. Did not know about Solaris's Garchomp being a Pulse2. That explains why it survived a Devastating Drake from my Noivern. Is there any visual indication for which mon is a Pulse2?

But also just to clarify, the Pulse2 mons have 252 EVs and 31 IVs in all their stats, don't they?

252 Evs in all their stats is the modification made to the Pulse2s. 31IVs in every stat is legal, just time consuming for real players. I have no idea if there are any Pokemon with illegal IVs. And no, there's no visual indication. There wouldn'tbe anyway, since setting all EVs to 252 isn't hard (even the player can do it if they can debug their Pokemon), but doing so as the player causes an overflow that will result in your Pokemon getting a bunch of EV points taken away from a state (possibly sending the total into the negatives, but I haven't personally done this so can't say for sure.)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wcv said:

252 Evs in all their stats is the modification made to the Pulse2s. 31IVs in every stat is legal, just time consuming for real players. I have no idea if there are any Pokemon with illegal IVs. And no, there's no visual indication. There wouldn'tbe anyway, since setting all EVs to 252 isn't hard (even the player can do it if they can debug their Pokemon), but doing so as the player causes an overflow that will result in your Pokemon getting a bunch of EV points taken away from a state (possibly sending the total into the negatives, but I haven't personally done this so can't say for sure.)

How many of the trainers have the 30~31 IV line-up?

3 minutes ago, wcv said:

I don't know right off hand, but pretty much all the major battles do.

Most major battles from a certain point on. My latest important battle (in my latest playthrough) was Kiki and I think only Medicham had 31 IVs everywhere. 

IIRC the devs also decided during beta-testing to reduce the IVs of the Pokemon you’re fighting 

Spoiler

in the three consecutive boss battles in the Glasswork Station. 

• Upvote 1