Some good Pokemon to breed/train for the dreaded mountaintop battle? (spoilers)

Hannelore

My sister is playing Rejuvenation for the first time and she's coming up to the Valor Mountain battle very soon. I remember in all my playthroughs having serious trouble with the double battle no matter what I tried and was wondering if there are some Pokemon I may not have thought to use you guys could recommend as being particularly helpful.

One thing I read recently was that bounce changes the field to a sky field; is this true, and if so is it a worthwhile strategy to use? Or was there an MVP or two you would absolutely recommend for the battle?

She's playing on the Reborn style difficulty if that helps :)

On Intense, Geara's Clefable has a seed that will activate in the sky field, setting 8 turns of Tailwind for the duo. However, on Normal/"Reborn", (at least according to the wiki, I've never played through Normal myself) it simply has a Sitrus Berry. Therefore it's pretty much straight advantageous to change it to a sky field, as it makes a number of their mons lose their neutrality to Rock (rock moves are Rock/Fire on the volcano, so Gyarados, Typhlosion, Dragonite etc. don't care about them). Mantine with Bounce is a good setter and also comes with Wide Guard to protect from Rock Slide, Eruption, etc.

One thing I'll say is that you can't rely on one or two "star" teammates for this fight, you'll need to build a full cohesive team, and you can't really "counterteam" them so to speak. Thus it's less about finding specific good mons for the fight, and more about forming a solid strategy (and an adaptable one, thanks to RNG queen Melia) with a diverse team. That being said these were definitely the 3 crucial mons that allowed me to do the Intense mode fight mono-Flying:

Toucannon hits a lot of their mons super-effectively off a massive base 120 Attack stat with 125BP Rock Blast/Bullet Seed thanks to Skill Link, leading to a lot of OHKOs especially if Melia double-targets with you. This is especially effective against Dragonite, as Multiscale only protects from the first hit of Rock Blast. Sky field is important for this, not only so Rock Blast actually hits super-effectively, but also since it's slow and greatly appreciates a lengthened Tailwind.

Oricorio (electric) is a great choice with Revelation Dance taking down Minior off the bat and keeping Moxie Gyarados from getting out of hand. Hurricane does great neutral damage to anything else. Most Electric types should be good for the same reasons really, but Oricorio gets the advantage of having a super strong secondary attack (its closest competition being Alolan Raichu, who has a weaker secondary STAB move alongside paper-thin defenses that ensure it'll never get off a Nasty Plot).

Mantine as previously mentioned is great at discouraging them from spamming Rock Slide (and in Typhlosion's case Eruption), and can also be a strong offensive threat if you can set up rain + sky field, as nearly half of their mons are weak to water. It's also incredibly bulky, to the point where with full HP investment it can live a field-boosted Thunder from Clefable or Silvally.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hannelore said:

My sister is playing Rejuvenation for the first time and she's coming up to the Valor Mountain battle very soon. I remember in all my playthroughs having serious trouble with the double battle no matter what I tried and was wondering if there are some Pokemon I may not have thought to use you guys could recommend as being particularly helpful.

One thing I read recently was that bounce changes the field to a sky field; is this true, and if so is it a worthwhile strategy to use? Or was there an MVP or two you would absolutely recommend for the battle?

She's playing on the Reborn style difficulty if that helps :)

maybe it's just me but that battle is one of the most overestimated in the game. i'll share what i did during the battle, it's based off intense so it might be slightly inaccurate.

everything revolves around having:

- stealth rocks

- a decent form of speed control

explaining myself better, rocks are good because they help you wear down a lot of threats in this battle, namely typhlosion, dragonite (disables multiscale as well), gyarados and marowak. that's a third of their mons who dislike rocks, the rest (exception being clef) still do get hurt so they're already effective at keeping them at bay. best setter i can think of is lycanroc, which you can get pretty easily at goldenwood park.

by speed control on the other hand i mean tailwind. it's slightly buffed on this field as well and the advantage lasts long enough for you to be able to decimate their teams in 5 turns. i used talonflame here, thanks to tailwind. if it doesn't die (unlikely) then you can fire off an acrobatics as well because of strong winds being set through tailwind.

now, thanks to tailwind, alolan muk threatens gengar, clefable, marowak and jellicent. you can then start building against him, my team was lycanroc, talonflame, alolan muk, alolan marowak and 2 other mons which i forgot (think blaziken and marowak).

finally don't be scared of sacking melia. everyone claims she's trash but honestly togekiss is togekiss and it will always enjoy 60%ing opponents with air slash lol and her other mons arent too bad either

• Thanks 1

Talonflame is the mvp for Tailwind strat and by far is the most simplest way of dealing with their team just kill them before they kill you 

Rock kinda hit or miss in this cuz rock type gained fire typing in this field but if you can change the field it will murder them, Fast Beat stick like Dusk Lycanroc or Bulky one like Golem is recommended it will also help set up Stealth Rock and if you want, try to use Dig to change the field into cavern

Screen user like Prankster Meowstick is usefull here as well, it will help you buy time to set up your pkmn without dying too fast, or TrickRoom user like Oranguru also works considering most of their mon is super fast

I dont know if geara has it in normal mode, but beware of Mega Gengar, Once it goes it's literally unstoppable prepare a Sucker Punch user or set up a bulk to tank its hit, Or just pray it targets melia and not you

I'll be honest before V11 Melia is garbage, IT literally was just a deadweight but luckilly you play v12, she's not stupid enough to go to battle with only 5 pkmn , and lead with garbage Snorlax. Apparently she has pretty strong pkmn in her rooster like hydreigon now, it will help you shift the ai attention to her but don't expect too much

• Thanks 1

Ooh, thanks so much for all the helpful tips! :D I appreciate you giving me more to consider for this field and the opponents. Maybe it won't even be as bad as I remember it if Melia has indeed been made more useful XD

EDIT: Woohoo, she beat it second try :D First was just her checking out the Pokemon and then she went with a bounce strategy using Mantine and tailwind using Talonflame. Vaporeon was a random pick in her team but it was MVP for moxie gyarados because muddy water lowered its accuracy several times. Thanks again for the suggestions! I love seeing how many different strategies are used in this game :D