Something I wanna say as an ordinary player of the latest development update post

EyesOnKindred

The original post is locked for further replies, but I really have something wanna talk about, so I put my comment on this post right here. 

I have no negative feeling on this update by cass (Pain, anger, sorrow, remorse? None of them). However, there is one piece of advice I need to talk about, and that is putting your effort on developing a brand new game and telling that to the community can be risky. This time last year, Pokemon players realized that Game Freak arranged almost half of their developers working on a brand new game called Town. Players (including me myself) had infuriated by the underwhelming content of Pokemon Sword and Shield especially the absence of National PokeDex, and that fact further ignited players' anger and disappointment on Game Freak.  As a result, Pokemon players spread their negativity and sent their bad reviews on this new game, even when the game had not been released. I would not say Town is really good, but it is too bad to receive good reviews? Not so much. In this Starlight case, similar event may happen. Reborn players (very likely to have considerably large number of players) may naturally hate this game, whatever this game will look like, since developing Starlight makes Ame postpones the development of Reborn ep19 postgame. Having a large numbers of haters already before a new game released is absolutely detrimental for it and its developers. The original development update post was locked only after it was released after one day shows the potential of negativity non-negligibly exists, though most of us are compassionate. Fighting back to this negativity may hurt the community by hurting the feelings of loyal and contributive Reborn players, which means dead end. 

The best way to solve this arising problem is probably releasing the ep19 main game, which had been completed a year ago. People will still play the ep19 postgame when it is launched anyway, since ep19 postgame will contain huge amount of plot and it will require tons of play time. Releasing the ep19 main game not only fulfills the players in Reborn community, but also saves Starlight from potential negativity it may face. It will also release lots of pressure for you developers. Hope Ame, Cass and other developers of Reborn consider my advice and make your decision. 

Thank you!

They don't want to release the e19 main and continue working on the postgame, because they're (rightfully) concerned they'll get a C&D the second they release the end of the main story...and then they won't legally be able to continue working on postgame...

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, EyesOnKindred said:

The original post is locked for further replies, but I really have something wanna talk about, so I put my comment on this post right here. 

I have no negative feeling on this update by cass (Pain, anger, sorrow, remorse? None of them). However, there is one piece of advice I need to talk about, and that is putting your effort on developing a brand new game and telling that to the community can be risky. This time last year, Pokemon players realized that Game Freak arranged almost half of their developers working on a brand new game called Town. Players (including me myself) had infuriated by the underwhelming content of Pokemon Sword and Shield especially the absence of National PokeDex, and that fact further ignited players' anger and disappointment on Game Freak.  As a result, Pokemon players spread their negativity and sent their bad reviews on this new game, even when the game had not been released. I would not say Town is really good, but it is too bad to receive good reviews? Not so much. In this Starlight case, similar event may happen. Reborn players (very likely to have considerably large number of players) may naturally hate this game, whatever this game will look like, since developing Starlight makes Ame postpones the development of Reborn ep19 postgame. Having a large numbers of haters already before a new game released is absolutely detrimental for it and its developers. The original development update post was locked only after it was released after one day shows the potential of negativity non-negligibly exists, though most of us are compassionate. Fighting back to this negativity may hurt the community by hurting the feelings of loyal and contributive Reborn players, which means dead end. 

The best way to solve this arising problem is probably releasing the ep19 main game, which had been completed a year ago. People will still play the ep19 postgame when it is launched anyway, since ep19 postgame will contain huge amount of plot and it will require tons of play time. Releasing the ep19 main game not only fulfills the players in Reborn community, but also saves Starlight from potential negativity it may face. It will also release lots of pressure for you developers. Hope Ame, Cass and other developers of Reborn consider my advice and make your decision. 

Thank you!

Holy shit I rarely post and other people are probably gonna pick this apart but lemme take a crack at it.

A. Triple AAA developer vs. small indie team working for free is entirely different, and if they ever release anything ever again be grateful not to sound too rude but they do this willingly for FREE for you. (Also sidenote, GF developed town as an entirely seperate project) it did not affect S&S's development at all. Situation's are not comparable at all.

B. "If starlight is like ya know EXISTS BEFORE MY POKEMON REBORN COME OUT ILL BE MAD AT THE DEV TEAM FOR DOING THING" like what. They're talking about maybe releasing a demo and both games are probably years off at this point. Project starlight and reborn do affect each other but also like eh? It is what it is only one Ame and co can actually make money from compared to the other which is literally labor of love and potential landmine of legal issues.

C. When the heck did anyone from the dev team confirm that "EP.19 the main game is done" that feels like total speculation and pure guesswork but idk maybe I missed thing.

D. There is no problem lol, they release it when they release it.

But seriously when the heck did anyone say Ep.19 was done at any point. 

in the scoreboard that had recently been removed told that the percentages had been completed and if i recall correctly they've already playtested it, but i do agree with the fact that developers have the right to release something whenever they want and that a huge chunk of the community won't be mad at starlight since it's indeed an indie game, but reborn has also been in the works for 8 years and some people still follow it so i think they won't mind waiting a year or two.

• Veterans

hi.

6 hours ago, EyesOnKindred said:

The original development update post was locked only after it was released after one day shows the potential of negativity non-negligibly exists

i wanna talk about this first.

you have no idea how frustrating it is to write up a big post about when e19 is going to be released only to have someone ask if it's going to be released. 

if you checked my comment, you would see that that's why it was locked.

6 hours ago, EyesOnKindred said:

In this Starlight case, similar event may happen. Reborn players (very likely to have considerably large number of players) may naturally hate this game, whatever this game will look like, since developing Starlight makes Ame postpones the development of Reborn ep19 postgame.

it is really difficult to overstate quite how completely disgusted i'd be with anyone who review-bombed starlight because it delayed e19. on top of being petty and selfish (as in the oft referenced SwSh case), reborn is free.

a bunch of people have put a lot of time and effort into reborn because they like the game and want to make it better. this would basically be a slap in the face to all of them.

we want more time to make the game better, among, like, all the other reasons.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, andracass said:

hi.

i wanna talk about this first.

you have no idea how frustrating it is to write up a big post about when e19 is going to be released only to have someone ask if it's going to be released. 

if you checked my comment, you would see that that's why it was locked.

it is really difficult to overstate quite how completely disgusted i'd be with anyone who review-bombed starlight because it delayed e19. on top of being petty and selfish (as in the oft referenced SwSh case), reborn is free.

a bunch of people have put a lot of time and effort into reborn because they like the game and want to make it better. this would basically be a slap in the face to all of them.

we want more time to make the game better, among, like, all the other reasons.

Don't worry. I'm on your side. I completely understand how hard and time consuming to develop a massive game, not to mention you have two to work on. I'm also a programmer and I'm frustrated for not available to help you. 

I've read the replies in that post. All I can say is please neglect someone unfriendly or someone asking foolish questions. I wrote this post simply notice you as developers of Starlight the potential risk you will likely face. Another possible situation in future is people getting disappointed after seemingly endless waiting and they no longer care Reborn and Starlight. It looks like people (maybe 95 percent or higher) in this community are friendly and sympathetic towards you and Ame, so don't worry too much. I know that nobody eager to make the game better than you guys do, so take your time and avoid the pressure and negativity destroying you. 

It was already explained that this certain order (e19 story -> starlight -> starlight demo -> e19 postgame -> e19 release) is the reason for the long development time. While I understand people being frustrated about long waiting, I don't understand hate towards starlight or the developers for that. The burnout with Reborn was already lurking in the shadows in the past few episodes, so I totally support the decision to give yourself some time off of reborn.

(Btw - really none saw that coming? xD this order literally screams "THERE WILL BE IMMENSE DELAYS WITH EVERYTHING". I believe the team expected and accepted the fact that there will be delays, but they didn't expect them to be this much.)

On a side note - the screenshot of starlight in the post gives me the ''early reborn'' feeling, which I take as a good sign.