Pokémon Rainbow: Arc 4 released!

Cervys

Ooh, interesting~ Def wanna give this a try.

Some of the custom sprites (I may have already downloaded and played a lil bit) look a bit... jpeg-y? pixelly? in places, but they're really nicely done otherwise! Better than anything I could ever do, that's for sure~ And even though there's not much by way of detailed story description in your post, something about it is really intriguing. I hope development goes well! Remember not to overwork yourself! Yourselves? If there's multiple people in the team or not, do remember to take breaks, is what I'm trying to say. 😛

• Like 1
  • Hmm 1

11 minutes ago, shinymissingno said:

Ooh, interesting~ Def wanna give this a try.

Some of the custom sprites (I may have already downloaded and played a lil bit) look a bit... jpeg-y? pixelly? in places, but they're really nicely done otherwise! Better than anything I could ever do, that's for sure~ And even though there's not much by way of detailed story description in your post, something about it is really intriguing. I hope development goes well! Remember not to overwork yourself! Yourselves? If there's multiple people in the team or not, do remember to take breaks, is what I'm trying to say. 😛

Thank you very much! I would definitely not call myself a great sprite artist either, so I'm hoping to eventually find someone who can improve upon the stuff I made. I've been working on it on and off for quite a while, so I'm not really at risk of overworking at the moment, even if it's mostly just me for now. 

1 hour ago, Michael_ said:

Hey, I've been playing through the game and I've come across an interesting glitch on route 1.

Thanks for letting me know, should be fixed in the next version.

http://prntscr.com/u89l3v - Another bug - in Mauviel City, you can walk down into the door from the ledge above it and softlock yourself.

http://prntscr.com/u89utl - Small tiling error here with the priority.

Also just a suggestion - I'd maybe change the obedience cap, seeing as the Bergmite doesn't obey you from when you first receive it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael_ said:

http://prntscr.com/u89l3v - Another bug - in Mauviel City, you can walk down into the door from the ledge above it and softlock yourself.

http://prntscr.com/u89utl - Small tiling error here with the priority.

Thanks again!

6 hours ago, Michael_ said:

Also just a suggestion - I'd maybe change the obedience cap, seeing as the Bergmite doesn't obey you from when you first receive it.

This one has nothing to do with an obedience, actually! You may not have noticed it with the starters, but Rainbow Pokémon need to get used to you before they trust you enough to follow commands (Meaning they need to be above a certain level of friendship before they start obeying you).

4 hours ago, Cervys said:

Thanks again!

This one has nothing to do with an obedience, actually! You may not have noticed it with the starters, but Rainbow Pokémon need to get used to you before they trust you enough to follow commands (Meaning they need to be above a certain level of friendship before they start obeying you).

Ah, neat. I didn't realize so my mistake. Thanks for letting me know! 

• Like 1

Hey i just started playing the game and found a game breaking bug where you get soft locked in the haunted house (side quest).  I lost the fight with "MAUVE" and didn't get teleported to the poke center but went back to the room before. I tried leveling up with rare candy to win the battle with Chandelure but it keeps matching my level.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xmjk21 said:

Hey i just started playing the game and found a game breaking bug where you get soft locked in the haunted house (side quest).  I lost the fight with "MAUVE" and didn't get teleported to the poke center but went back to the room before. I tried leveling up with rare candy to win the battle with Chandelure but it keeps matching my level.

Ah, I'm sorry, I fixed that for the ghost battle before, but apparently I forgot it for the Mauve battle. If you send me your save file, I can bring you out of there.

Finished the current content and it's honestly pretty great! Some bugs, suggestions and questions below.

Spoiler

Bugs:
-During the attack on Cascyan City, the event where Roy comes out of the Trainer School will trigger again if you try to go back, which freezes you in place (found out while trying to go back to the daycare to heal up).
-Once you get Surf, you can go down the waterfalls in Cascyan City, which causes all sorts of issues; probably will want to make it so you can't do that, like with the waterfalls in the Navy Cavey.
-On the way back after getting Rainbow Musharna, breaking the rock in the cave will trigger the Crobat+Swoobat Swarm event and fight again.

-Not sure if it's really a bug, but in the Navy Cavey there's a dead end that you can't cross the first time you come across since it requires Surf, but when I came back with it, it just leads to a big waterfall and nothing else.

-Regarding Rainbow Delcatty, once you get into Mauviel City through the Route 2 entrance that requires Surf, you can't leave the area from the way you came, so you get softlocked.

-Both Rainbow Nidoran and Rainbow Oddish lack an overworld sprite, they're currently invisible.
-Talking to the Ice Cream vendor the second time he appears (next to the entrance to Cobyss) procs an error that crashes the game.
-The nurse in the Trainer School seems to be lacking some dialogue, she just directly tells you you'll be training and starts the battle.
-You can Surf off the some of the squares in the piers in Ashport town.
-There's a cave in Route 1 (right when you exit Gadgenta from the south), it's blocked by a tree so it should be inaccessible, but because a river flows right next to it, you can access it once you get Surf; it leads nowhere so I assume it isn't implemented yet and the player wasn't supposed to be able to get to it.
-The Yellow Flute doesn't work, selecting it during combat does nothing.

Suggestions:
-Violet's Rainbow Murkrow seems to be susceptible to a Toxic->Protect loop, which is abusable since you just cure the Poison with an Antidote on the turn it uses Protect on, and then attack on the turn it uses Toxic on, might want to look into that.
-Cheaper or longer lasting Repels would be good, by default, 400 cost Repels are very expensive, and with how much exploration there's in this game, you can spend all your money on Repels and still not have enough. This is honestly more of a general issue than something about this fangame in particular, I've always felt basic Repels could cost 100 and work for 500 steps and scale from there; lots of random encounters is not fun nor adds difficulty, it's just tedious.
-Rainbow Bergmite starts with Water Pulse even though it has horrible Special Attack, a physical move (like Gyro Ball) would be more useful in the long run. Also, it might be good to reword the RNBW Frost description, the current one seems like it's stating 2 different effects (prolonging Hail+removes Ice weaknesses), instead of Hail both lasting longer and nullifying weaknesses.
-Rainbow Musharna might need a better starting moveset, in Gen 7 Musharna's moveset is hideous and even with Move Relearner leaves it with no strong moves outside of TMs (and I somehow doubt we're gonna get the Psychic or Thunderbolt TMs soon). It could probably at least just start knowing Psychic (and maybe even Moonblast, which it couldn't learn back in Gen 7).
-Given how important friendship is when it comes to Rainbow pokemon, having an early Friendship rater would be good (who also tells you if the pokemon will obey you if you show them a Rainbow Pokemon).
-Could probably add an NPC or sign in the swamp telling how the Venusaur works, I feel like it might not be obvious to everyone that the direction from which you talk to it is what decides how the paths shift.
-For the repeatable training battles with the Nurse, it'd be nice if she healed you after each battle, so that you don't need to run between her and the center when you want to train up.
-Not sure how important will they be, but it'd be good if we had a way to track the number of Hidden Pages we have, currently it just shows as a single item in the Key Items slot and doesn't tell you how many of them you have.

Finally some questions about things I didn't quite figure out:

-What do you need to do with the statues in the Sapphire Forest (in the part with the Volbeats)? According to the hint given by the man, you need to visit the 5 statues in order of NW, SE, SW NE and Center, but I did that and nothing happened.
-There seems to be something happening with a Nurse, she appears when you first step into the Nurse School in Mauviel and then again when you enter the cave, but I haven't seen her again after that, so wasn't sure if I somehow missed her sidequest.
-Is the Rainbow Oddish in the Sapphire Forest obtainable right now?
-Something I was somewhat confused about, who is the Arc Angel of Mauviel? I thought it was Violet but then on the Haunted Mansion sidequest Mauve says she's the Arc Angel, did that mean Violet resigned and Mauve replaced her?

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your feedback, I'm glad you're enjoying it! All the errors that I could figure out immediately are fixed. Your suggestions are very helpful, and I'm probably going to implement most of them.

Some more specific replies:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Fabularis said:

-The Yellow Flute doesn't work, selecting it during combat does nothing.

This one kind of confuses me because I don't think I editet the code for the Yellow Flute at all from the Reborn base. Did you try any of the other flutes, and if so, did they work as intended?

Cheaper or longer lasting Repels would be good, by default, 400 cost Repels are very expensive, and with how much exploration there's in this game, you can spend all your money on Repels and still not have enough. This is honestly more of a general issue than something about this fangame in particular, I've always felt basic Repels could cost 100 and work for 500 steps and scale from there; lots of random encounters is not fun nor adds difficulty, it's just tedious.

I absolutely agree, and I'll definitely do something about it. Maybe even a key item that acts as a permanent Repel you can toggle whenever you want.

-What do you need to do with the statues in the Sapphire Forest (in the part with the Volbeats)? According to the hint given by the man, you need to visit the 5 statues in order of NW, SE, SW NE and Center, but I did that and nothing happened.

I just did the puzzle again, and it seemed to work without any issues. You need to talk to them in order and then not talk to any of the others. I'll probably add a text that says something happens to make it clear, but after touching all five statues in the proper order, a door opens next to the original statue.

-There seems to be something happening with a Nurse, she appears when you first step into the Nurse School in Mauviel and then again when you enter the cave, but I haven't seen her again after that, so wasn't sure if I somehow missed her sidequest.

There's no sidequest to be had there, she's a character that's gonna become relevant to the main story in the future but doesn't have a particularly big role so far.

-Is the Rainbow Oddish in the Sapphire Forest obtainable right now?

That Oddish is actually just a regular green Oddish, and is not obtainable at the moment! I get how this one could be confusing if the sprite isn't visible.

-Something I was somewhat confused about, who is the Arc Angel of Mauviel? I thought it was Violet but then on the Haunted Mansion sidequest Mauve says she's the Arc Angel, did that mean Violet resigned and Mauve replaced her?

Yes, Violet is taking a break from her Arc Angel duties after the events of Arc 1, which means Mauve is temporarily stepping in.

Spoiler

This one kind of confuses me because I don't think I editet the code for the Yellow Flute at all from the Reborn base. Did you try any of the other flutes, and if so, did they work as intended?

The Blue Flute does work properly, but the Yellow Flute just does nothing when you select "Use" (i.e. instead of letting you choose the target pokemon, you just remain in the item selection).

22 hours ago, Cervys said:

I absolutely agree, and I'll definitely do something about it. Maybe even a key item that acts as a permanent Repel you can toggle whenever you want.

Oh yeah, that'd be amazing.

22 hours ago, Cervys said:

I just did the puzzle again, and it seemed to work without any issues. You need to talk to them in order and then not talk to any of the others. I'll probably add a text that says something happens to make it clear, but after touching all five statues in the proper order, a door opens next to the original statue.

It took me like 10 tries but it finally worked, I'm not sure what was the issue since I don't think I did anything differently the last time, but the cave finally opened up somehow.

Also, some RNBW abilities (Gleam, Glamour and Balloon) have cut-off descriptions, if shortening them proves to be difficult, adding a text file with their full descriptions in the download could be useful.

Edit:

Spoiler

Btw, now that I think about it I feel like it would be best if Rainbow Staryu and Oshawott's abilities didn't turn Slash/Light-based moves into Rainbow Type and just boosted them a la Iron Fist, Strong Jaw, etc. Mainly because turning those moves into Rainbow type also removes some of their coverage, like Dazzling Gleam becoming Rainbow type means Staryu doesn't get Fairy coverage, or Razor Shell becoming Rainbow means Oshawott loses its early game physical Water move.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks, development is pretty slow at the moment and probably will be for a while, but I do have something I can show off, namely the Rainbow Pokémon you will be facing in Arc 3! (and maybe even catch one day...)
    477_rnbw.png.001710cf56baa950efbd70063c32570e.png                                            461f_rnbw.png.e9a7d5551a009024773384a54b7fc0d5.png                                       286_nbw.png.3ab24c2b0206e6fc7afa41ca0c7d5052.png              

Raibow Dusknoir                                                       Rainbow Weavile                                                 Rainbow Breloom

Ability: Rainbow Siphon                                             Ability: Rainbow Hunter                                         Ability: Rainbow Stimulant

Drains a bit of the opponent's                                 Its attacks hit opponents before                                  In Double Battles, boosts 
    HP at the end of each turn (like                                they can switch out (like Pursuit).                              its partner's physical Attack

Leech Seed).                                                                                                                                               and Defense.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Been a while since I posted here, but I've got a little Arc 3 feature I can show off: Personality Traits!

image.png.d6c214b9c559cdc42c86265f337c5ca5.png

As you may have noticed while playing the game, our protagonist is about as much of a blank slate as any other Pokémon main character. However, in Rainbow, I wanted to play with that idea a little bit. So, the character you play as may start out as someone with no characteristics or quirks, but as you play the game, certain actions may unlock new personality traits that have beneficial effects in our outside of battles. 

As an example: You may be someone who enjoys Rainbow Pokémon a lot and wants to collect as many of them as you can. As soon as you've put together an entire party with nothing but Rainbow Pokémon, you will unlock the personality trait Colorful. This personality trait represents your character's love for Rainbow-type Pokémon and will cause them to gain friendship much faster while they're in your party. Additionally, certain NPCs might take note of your newly developed personality and offer you access to new areas or sidequests that might be unavailable to you otherwise. 

image.png.adadfa17dbe60047da94fcc7fd9aaf93.png         (You can view your current PTs on your Trainer Card)

You can have up to two of these personality traits at the same time. If you unlock another one after that, you'll have to choose which one you want to discard. In total, there's probably going to be about 10 of them in Arc 3, depending on how many ideas I have. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 11:26 AM, ORAORAORA said:

was just wandering, how many hours of gameplay are there currently?

Strongly depends on how much you explore all of the little optional side areas, but if you're thorough you can probably get something close to ten hours. 

On 6/30/2021 at 6:50 PM, Cervys said:

Strongly depends on how much you explore all of the little optional side areas, but if you're thorough you can probably get something close to ten hours. 

thank you very much for your answer! in that case, i'll wait for future update(s)

i still need to finish rejuvenation (i'm at 120+ hours :') ) and REMsolation ;)

your game seems very promising. does it have fields like in reborn and the likes? 

4 hours ago, ORAORAORA said:

your game seems very promising. does it have fields like in reborn and the likes? 

Thank you! I've chosen not to include field effects at this point, since it would slow down development even more and I do hope to finish this at some point. 

• 1 month later...

Just finished your game, and I'm loving it so far!

A few critiques I have:

• There were quite a few bugs I encountered, most of which were already reported by Fabularis above. One that I didn't see on their list was that sometimes the game seemed to ignore the secondary types of my Pokemon? Like, when I was fighting Roy, I set up Toxic Spikes using Scatterstrike, then switched into my Gloom... Who, instead of absorbing the spikes, was poisoned by them, and then proceeded to take super effective damage from Clawitzer's Sludge Wave. You might want to look into that if you haven't already.
  • In a few places, it can be difficult to tell where entrances and exits are. Most of the time there's at least a dark patch of ground indicating an entrance, but other times, such as a few of the alternate entrances into Mauviel from the Enchanted Forest, there's no indication whatsoever, and it can be difficult to figure out how to leave the area.
  • While all the game's puzzles are very creative, there were a few that I found extremely frustrating. I'm mostly talking about the Squirtle collection quest and the second Dusclops maze here. For the Squirtle quest, there's no indication of how many Squirtle you're looking for in the first place or when you've found them all, so I ended up scouring the entire route to find the next one, then walking all the way back across the route to the quest-giver, only to find out that there were still more I had to find, so I had to scour the entire route again, for hours. I feel like it would be relatively easy to fix by just having an indicator of how many Squirtle are left every time you find one. As for the Dusclops puzzle, I feel like having to navigate that ridiculously complicated maze in the dark with only a very confusing, disjointed way to discover the layout would be enough of a challenge on its own - sending you back to the start every time you mess up is just adding insult to injury. I ended up saving the game at every branching path and just soft resetting every time I messed up.
  • I'm not sure about the music choices you went with. For the towns and cities in particular, you reused a lot of tracks from Reborn - tracks that were meant to convey the grim, oppressive atmosphere of a post-apocalyptic city with danger around every corner. Your story seems to be a lot less grim than that, at least in the beginning where the biggest threat is Team Spectrum harassing random children and standing around in ruins. I would either choose some different songs for those areas or, if you're trying to go for the grim oppressive atmosphere, have more dark stuff happen earlier in the game to reflect that.

Things I really liked:

• By far my favorite aspect of the game is the focus on exploration. There's just so much cool optional stuff to find! It really makes the journey feel like an organic process of discovering cool new stuff rather than just going down the checklist of everything you have to do to finish the game.
  • I love the color theming of the region - definitely a unique take on the Pokemon series, and I always appreciate it when Gym Leaders (or the region's equivalent) are themed around something other than type. In particular, I like how the Arc Angels' colors were worked into their personalities and/or motifs in addition to their Pokemon teams - Violet being a magician because purple is associated with magic, Roy constantly "feeling blue," Vera (I think that was the green girl's name?) being very strong-willed in what I assume is a reference to Green Lantern's color symbolism, ect.. Great stuff.
  • I really like all the new moves from the Arc Angels and all the new Rainbow abilities - they add some really cool new dimensions to combat. In particular with Scatterstrike, I really like how there are both huge advantages and potential disadvantages to using it - I had to make sure to keep two Poison-types in my party so that I could absorb my own spikes while still poisoning all my opponents.
  • I like the version of the level cap you used, with Pokemon stopping gaining EXP at the cap, but still obeying you if you push them over it with a Rare Candy. This way, if you're struggling with a particular boss fight, you can spend a candy to circumvent the level cap for that fight only, but you won't have that candy for future fights that might be even harder, making you think carefully about how to spend them.
  • I personally appreciate the mechanic of Rainbow Pokemon not obeying you until their Friendship is high enough. It's never really sat right with me that Pokemon just immediately obey your every command the instant you kidnap them from their natural habitats. Having to earn their trust before they help you makes it feel more like a mutual partnership than like they're just collectable objects.
  • My favorite moment from the game was probably the Rainbow Gyarados fight. Having to find a way to outlast an opponent who is much more powerful than yourself is a very unique challenge for a Pokemon game.

Overall, fantastic job, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next release!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 2:20 AM, VoidlitAudino said:

Overall, fantastic job, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next release!

Thank you very much for your feedback! The critiques are all very valid and I'm already working on improving these aspects, so thank you for pointing them out. 

It's really nice to hear that some of the things I was going for worked well for you! I'll admit that I wasn't even aware that Pokémon continued to obey you past the level cap, but if it's appreciated, I'll definitely keep it as it currently is.