Dear God why is Charlotte so tough?

Fauna Joy

I just spent the last couple days training up a team to take on Charlotte in the Fire type gym and I can't even take out her first two!

My team, all level 70:

Zoroark: Night Daze, Dark Pulse, Foul Play, Extrasensory (Willing to swap this one out for something more effective)

Donphan: Earthquake, Rollout, High Horsepower, Ancient Power

Eelektross: Crunch, Thunder Wave, Zap Cannon, Discharge

Hariyama: Knock Off, Surf, Vital Throw, Brick Break

Magcargo: Rock Throw, Ancient Power, Rock Slide, Earth Power

Marowak: Bonemerang, Stomping Tantrum, Strength, Bone Club

I thought having a lot of ground types would help, but between Eruption and Flare Blitz, Typhlosion and Darmanitan keep taking them out in one turn. Magcargo would go too, but it's somewhat more resistant being half fire.

I thought Eelektross paired with maybe Donphan with Earthquake would help, but again they just keep taking down one or the other before I can get a move in edge-wise. I haven't tried using Hariyama's Surf yet, but I'm fully anticipating the same thing where they take it out before it can do anything. Why the hell is Charlotte so tough?

I have a core team that I've been using for most of the game, and this is the first game where I've found myself assembling teams specifically for a gym battle, cause the rainbow team I tend to have just isn't cutting it. The field effects can be very interesting to try and work with/around, but damn this one is just steamrolling me.

Edited by Fauna Joy

Fun fact: she's actually been nerfed since a couple of episodes ago. She was the reason I restarted my run from scratch back then.

Either way, if you can get rid of the field effect then she's not all that threatening if you bring some rock types. Rock slide or stone edge will pretty much take care of her whole team without the field effect.

Eelektross can learn ion deluge, which creates an electric field for like 5 turns. This move has +1 priority so you can use it on the first turn and go ham with magcargo's rock slide.

How do I get Ion Deluge, though?

Just remembered: If I can't get it for Eelektross, there are some Blitzle and Zebstrika outside Calcenon who either already have it or can learn it. Would that work?

Edited by Fauna Joy

Ok I think I have a plan. Backtrack to the Circus, use a Heart Scale to get Ion Deluge for Eelektross, and grab a Common Candy because I have a Level 71 Garchomp I can't control. Swap him out for Hariyama, since Zoroark will likely be the most useful non-ground or rock type against Delphox.

I was in your boat literally today. Days of training. Please tell me you have the EV items to make this easier. I actually swept her team easily now.

Catch rockruff route 2, evolve to midday and relearn rock slide. EV train Atk + Spd 252 and level to at least 69. With that you can speed past typhlosion and one shot them both. I also had a hard stone to boost rock moves. volcarona has a rock weakening berry so try a water or flying move for it.

Catch a spheal/sealeo train that (make sure you give it thick fat) give it blizzard. blizzard will get rid of the super heated field. i also ev trained mine in SDef so it could tank a few hits. With that done I used Bronzong to rain dance Ninetales sunny day which creates a rainbow field and eliminates any problematic effects (i tried sandstorm but that just boosted her fire moves again) I also had an empoleon with water pledge, which is boosted by rainbow field and that one shotted her ninetales, since it was also raining.

5 minutes ago, Fauna Joy said:

I know nothing about EV training, never made sense to me. Maybe I should preface every post with that because it's always the suggestion I get.

I get that, in regular games I don't worry about it. But in this game you kinda have to. Although I give you massive credit if you've gotten this far without worrying about it!

You could try asking in the trade section if someone is willing to trade you good pokemon to help?

Glad you got it! For anyone who may see this in the future, getting rid of the field effect will make the Charlotte battle waay easier. I used a level 67 Jynx I had in my box to remove the field via Blizzard. Followed it up with a rain dance and Charlotte went down soon after. Charlotte vibe checked my entire team though, admittedly. 

On 7/22/2020 at 5:29 PM, Fauna Joy said:

FINALLY GOT IT Just had to spam heal Magcargo and keep my Garchomp out front to soak up damage so I could keep Eelektross up to spam Ion Deluge.

Congrats. 

For future viewers of this thread who might need help:

I don't know what changes if any were made to her team since 18.2 but as Ame advises, nullifying Charlotte's advantages is the key. There are three ways this can be accomplished:

1. Rain Dance to prevent her from burning the field. 
Water will still be weaker in the super-heated field so go for Earthquake. 

Quagsire is best as a Pokemon able to use both Rain Dance and Earthquake via level up. 

Rotom is the only member of her team immune to ground attacks with Levitate. In that case I just had Quagsire spam Dive with Drapion on the supporting line providing heals. 

2. Combine Rain Dance with Sunny Day or Drought and create the Rainbow field. 
I kind of wish I had thought of that one, but I discovered it watching Dai Laughing after I'd already cleared her. 

3. Use Flash fire Pokemon so her advantages are still there but useless to her. 

Trick Room can be helpful as well if you're able to set it up. I tried and failed. My Meowstic couldn't hold up and Prankster doesn't prioritize it. 

Edited by Lucifer Morningstar

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 9:22 PM, Lucifer Morningstar said:

3. Use Flash fire Pokemon so her advantages are still there but useless to her. 

I second this. Flash fire Typhlosion absolutely demolishes her team when spamming eruption with all the boosts it can get on the field. The advice of fighting fire with fire you get from Adrienne is very good advice.