viable starters?

xiaomaome

it looks like the only decent options for starters are electrike, rockruff and possibly skiddo-anyone know if/how u can make doduo work? it seems as if most of the starter aren't that viable

Edited by xiaomaome

I'm pretty sure that all of them are actually good, you just need to get used to less popular mons. Dodrio for example has really good speed and attack stats, and also good coverage with just his level up moves (it even gets Swords Dance by level up). I used it once in Reborn and was very pleased with its performance.

I used Venipede as my starter in Desolation, and it pretty much carried me at first. Defense Curl + Rollout + Speed Boost is such a strong combo that it easily swept all the hard fights by itself. And later it's still very viable.

In my opinion, whoever from the Deso dev team chose those starters did a pretty good job at selecting balanced but not too strong pokemon.

They are all good, except for one, that being spheal, it dosent have great level up moves, I remember Brine and Aurora Beam being the best ones (although there is surf through tm now) it's slow and will usually not be able to hit first. The ice type hurts it more then helps, because it takes neutral damage to first attacks, when I used it in Episode 4 is always seemed to die in 2 hit

In episode 5 I choose rockruff, and it was a good idea 

i think the only bad ones are skiddo and spheal, spheal doesnt have good lvl movepool and skiddo is, well yea you get the jist

the rest are pretty good, although imo the best is venipede (speed boost is a must) and rockruff.

the fact that scolipede can protect batton pass saved me hella times, both mid and late game

21 hours ago, dragonza11 said:

i think the only bad ones are skiddo and spheal, spheal doesnt have good lvl movepool and skiddo is, well yea you get the jist

the rest are pretty good, although imo the best is venipede (speed boost is a must) and rockruff.

the fact that scolipede can protect batton pass saved me hella times, both mid and late game

Spheal is actually rly good, granted it has some limitation on its moves but the bulk is worth it, Skiddo is hard to use but most of the field leading up to 2nd gym is either forest or Grass field so you can get +2 atk and SpAtk with Growth rly helping with Skiddo lack luster damage until it evolve/ gain some coverage, Posty did a good job with balancing the starter pkmn  

On 7/15/2020 at 9:19 AM, fellowry said:

Spheal is actually rly good, granted it has some limitation on its moves but the bulk is worth it, Skiddo is hard to use but most of the field leading up to 2nd gym is either forest or Grass field so you can get +2 atk and SpAtk with Growth rly helping with Skiddo lack luster damage until it evolve/ gain some coverage, Posty did a good job with balancing the starter pkmn  

tru, you are indeed correct with this, i just mean both are sometimes difficult to use early game (spheal cant rlly take a hit well early on) or mid game (some tm's for gogoat aren't available yet or are received kinda late)

but indeed i like how well thought trough these starters are