[Pokemon Rebalancer Mod] Concept and Theorycraft

ty_taurus

Hello!

So something I think most of us are familiar with is that there's a fairly massive gap in power levels between some of the strongest Pokemon and some of the weakest. It's hard to compare Luvdisc, for example, to a Pokemon like Gyarados. This is something that's always bothered me to a degree. I don't necessarily think that every Pokemon needs to be equally powerful, nor do I think that's even possible, but something I've found myself passionate about doing is trying to bring the bottom level up a few notches--to try and tighten the gap between the Pokemon that are weak and the others that are Strong.

Right now, I'm working on a document listing the changes I'd like to make, and I am planning to make this for my own enjoyment for playing through Pokemon Rejuvenation that can perhaps be applied to Reborn as well (The main thing is the Gen 8 content). **EDIT** I'm glad to see a few people are taking interest. I'm gonna share the link to the Google Doc I'm using to work on these concepts. I wanna stress that I'm not actually working on any of the files yet (and probably won't actually start working on the mod until V13 comes out anyway because Gen 8), so this is all theorization. If you see a Pokemon with changes and you're like "Whoa! That's WAAAAY too busted!" please kindly let me know. Right now my focus is on getting a 'rough draft' of each Pokemon I want to change all the way through Gen 8. I'm focusing more on the stats and abilities right now and thinking about moves more casually at the moment, but I think getting more info from you all will be very helpful in ensuring nothing is too changed, too OP, or not actually effective at all. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IWeLjtq2SFUnxY5Imw7wRXEmR-RB_s1Z-ZUcxB9AIxc/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a breakdown of the rules:

- I want the changes I make to Pokemon to not feel much more extreme to the changes that were made to Pokemon in Gens 6 and 7. Here's what's on the table:

- I cannot change a Pokemon's Type

- I cannot dramatically alter a Pokemon's stats to be unrecognizable (i.e. We're not going to switch Alazakam's Attack and Special Attack, for example)

- Stat totals can be increased to a maximum of a net +30 (In rare cases, I may drop a stat to add to another) **Changed from Net +60 max to Net +30 max after Crest realization**

- The biggest change is updating older Pokemon abilities: Many weaker Pokemon are being given newer abilities

- I am adding a few new abilities that will mimic existing abilities for theme (Check out the google doc for examples)

- I will add some new moves to a Pokemon's learnset including adding "essential" moves to a Pokemon's learnable moves through level that they previously could learn only through tutors, breeding, or TM (such as Hyper Voice on Sylveon and Gardevoir, for example. They may be learned late though).

- Some moves will be buffed slightly--mostly signature moves that are inferior to other options, like making Octazooka something better than Surf/Scald/etc. for Octillery since very few Pokemon can learn it anyway.

- Certain signature moves of legendary Pokemon will be distributed among regular Pokemon, especially for legendaries that have several signature moves (Searing Shot, Mist Ball, Luster Purge, Fleur Cannon, etc.) These will still be fairly restrictive. Mainly these will be moves that aren't significantly better than other attacks, like no spreading about Ice Burn or Psystrike. Fleur Cannon, for example, would be given to floral Pokemon since it's not much different than Overheat.

**EDIT** Since I added the spreadsheet, you can see what changes I've worked on thus far in there. Also, since remembering Crests are a thing in Rejuvenation, I'm reworking these changes.

Before I finish this topic, I want to leave you all with some questions:

1. Is this something anyone actually wants? This is a passion project I'm ultimately making for my own enjoyment, but if anyone else is interested in something like this, then I'd be happy to share it.

2. Are the example changes something that feels good for those Pokemon but not too much? I'd honestly like feedback from other Pokemon fans on what kind of changes feel appropriate as well as getting better ideas on what can help fix a Pokemon's crippling weaknesses to make them more playable. I'm only one person of course, and I am sure that I will have plenty of cases where the changes don't address the problem enough, or perhaps take it way too far.

3. Is this something that, if others want it, is worth keeping a public topic updated on? I could see coming here and sharing clusters of Pokemon changes at a time every once in a while to get feedback as well as share some ideas for Pokemon that are in need of some assistance. It could also help me brainstorm solutions to Pokemon I don't know what to do with, kind of like Aurorus right now. 

Lastly, a disclaimer:

A huge part of Reborn and Rejuvenation is adding difficulty to Pokemon without trying to change the core of Pokemon--in other words: to provide a real sense of challenge and difficulty that the regular Pokemon games don't provide. Going through and making a lot of weaker Pokemon stronger does alter this, and that may not be what everyone wants. I don't want this to seem like the "look I fixed it!" mod, but rather a mod for those that are more balance-obsessive like I am when it comes to gaming and want to see each Pokemon feel like they have more of an opportunity to succeed.

• Like 1

If I'm being honest with you, this seems like a really cool idea, making weaker Pokemon stronger is always well received among the community (take for example Volt White and Blaze Black). 

That's good to hear. There's a part of me doesn't want to have to edit Pokemon stats and abilities to make the game a bit more balanced, but another part of me that gets frustrated that some Pokemon are so much worse than some others. I spend a lot of time thinking about game design and game balance in a lot of titles, not just Pokemon, but this is the one that I kinda wish I could work on to make the game more fun and make competitive battling more diverse with extra options.

I think this is a good idea but not to make some pokemon stupidly powerful or annoying. Needs to be balanced but would be exciting to have some other pokemon be more usable? I would opt against changing stats though, but boosting move strength/move pool and abilities to make a pokemon viable is a good idea. 

9 hours ago, SSJG Goku said:

I think this is a good idea but not to make some pokemon stupidly powerful or annoying. Needs to be balanced but would be exciting to have some other pokemon be more usable? I would opt against changing stats though, but boosting move strength/move pool and abilities to make a pokemon viable is a good idea. 

Hmm... If I go through with creating a version everyone here can download, I could do several versions. It would probably be faster to make all the changes at once, but I could go through and do moves/abilities first, save that separately, then go in and edit some stats, that way if you don't want the stat changes but do want the other changes, then you'll have a version meant for you.

Also, another reason I wanted to share this on here was because I'd love feedback on different mons as I go along. It's going to be difficult to ensure that every change I make is something that will be balanced. There are a lot of potential moves and abilities that could create dangerous combinations, and it can be easy to overlook that while going through the Pokemon. Like, I don't want to accidentally throw No Guard on a Pokemon with a 1-Hit KO move naturally.

Here's one I've always thought should happen since for some reason Torterra is missing 10 BST compared to some other starters.

Torterra

Grass/Ground
Overgrow/(Shell Armour)

HP: 95 -> 100

Atk: 109

Def: 105

Sp.Atk: 75

Sp.Def: 85 -> 90

Speed: 56

BST: 525 -> 535

New Moves: Shell Smash (This is like blastoise all over again why doesn't it have it????), Shore Up (To give it an option for recovery on sand teams)

With these slight stat adjustments suddenly Torterra looks a good sight more healthy, with the addition of Shellsmash to go on the offensive after just one turn of set up and being healthy enough to take a few hits it would be a truly threatening and versatile Pokemon capable of defensive sets using sub/seed or offensive with Curse/Shell Smash.

Edited by Vodka_Of_Life

15 hours ago, Crimson_Mc_Black said:

So long you increase Castforms stats somewhat (however you see fit) this mod will be quite an interesting one and i would most definitely get it when you finish it

Right now I've been working mostly in order of the National Dex and I'm in Gen II with a few random ones here and there that come to me. I don't really know what to do for Castform though... He can be one of the few +60 net total candidates, bringing him from 70 in all stats to 80, but what does that really accomplish? I can't give him a different ability because Forecast is a defining trait of Castform, so I have to give him moves that fit with his theme but also increase his viability to not be a total gimmick and that's kind of the issue.

If I compare him to another similar Pokemon, like Spinda... Spinda already has a unique strategy that can work if you know what you're doing thanks to Contrary + Superpower. I can possibly throw on another great Contrary attack on him and boost his stats to make him slightly less gimmicky and that will stick harder, but what does castform have? Weather Ball? Perhaps he'll naturally learn several of the legendary Pokemon moves that I'm spreading around, like Searing Shot and Glaciate, but I don't really know if that cuts it.

Castform does have its crest (activates weather changing move on first move slot (like drizzle drought and snow warning) and changes its ability based on the weather) I don't know what abilities it gets but I just checked its moves, and i think it might not be a bad idea in lower its attack and raising its special (the only notable physical moves it learns are return, facade, and last resort) since most of its elemental moves are special. So as far as abilities go, its fine, but maybe lower its attack and put those points in special and use that +60 points however you see fit.

On 5/30/2020 at 11:41 AM, Crimson_Mc_Black said:

Castform does have its crest (activates weather changing move on first move slot (like drizzle drought and snow warning) and changes its ability based on the weather) I don't know what abilities it gets but I just checked its moves, and i think it might not be a bad idea in lower its attack and raising its special (the only notable physical moves it learns are return, facade, and last resort) since most of its elemental moves are special. So as far as abilities go, its fine, but maybe lower its attack and put those points in special and use that +60 points however you see fit.

Wow, I completely forgot to take into account Crests. That changes a lot...