How Do I Beat Venam?

Yoav1122

Hey, with the fact that i am a very bad Pokemon player, i put casual mode on, and still cant beat Venam.

Im always getting stuck on Mareanie. i kill nidorina easily, with my geodude,  but she still toxic spikes my team. 

when mareanie comes - i cant do nothing. I let geo stay in the fight but she was faster than him, fomantis too. Frogadier died from the field effect, and fletchinder -- is fletchinder.

if you have tips, and startegies tell me them, and if not, just tell me how you beat her please.

Well, thats my team:

Frogadier - LV.19 - Abillity: Torrent - Moves: Pound, Smokescreen, Water Pulse, Quick Attack

Fletchinder - LV.19 - Abillity: Gale Wings - Moves: Peck, Agillity, Ember, Quick Attack

Fomantis - LV.19 - Abillity: Leaf Guard - Moves: Fury Cutter, Ingrain, Razor Leaf, Growth

Geodude - LV.19 - Abillity: Sand Veil - Moves: Magnitude, Mud Sport, Rock Throw, Smack Down

The game actually tells you how! Just get a poison type to suck up the toxic spikes and more importantly catch a Woobat in the sewers.  Also, if you're going to use a geodude catch one with sturdy, sand veil is so much worse. Since it's still early in the game it won't take much to level it up. 

I agree with what all that Taska said but i would add one thing(two). Mightyena. this thing is busted early game with moxie 

also vivillon. it has acsess to psybeam early on and will also help out agaisnt the second gym leader

if your willing to train it up all the way to level 20, alolan ratticate helped me win this fight just for the sheer fact that it's very strong at that level range. Ekans doesn't take the damage from toxic spikes or the terrain, and glare can help with some of venam's pokemon. Also, even if they aren't optimal pokemon, try to have 6 lvl 15+ pokemon for the gym.

I'm playing on Intense and don't know what's removed in Casual, but here is my advice:

1. Start playing "The Floor is Lava" and grab every kind of Flying-type you find. Not just Woobat, but also Pidove and Noibat. Get a Chingling for good measure; it's a 2% encounter in Gearen City in the morning and has Levitate. If you encounter Rattata outside, you can eventually find Chingling. 
    1a. Try to keep walking until Chingling has max happiness, so you can evolve it ASAP; do the same for Woobat.
    1b. Vivillon or Butterfree can help, but aren't great options compared to everything else. I completely skipped them for Venam's badge.
    1c. Noibat's Dragon typing makes it decent against any Grass types Venam may or may not have, as well as Mareanie.
    1d. Pidove can be easily swapped out for Ekans or any other poison type, as long as your team is generally either poison type or not grounded.
  2. I did a lot of grinding for Achievement Points and snagged the ATK and SP.ATK EV keycards; EV training my team made all the difference in this fight. I was also playing on Intense, so this might be a little overkill. Oh well, EV training doesn't hurt. Fletchinder and Pidove use the Attack stat while Woobat and Chingling use Sp. Attack.
  3. You can't get another Geodude until after you get the PoisonHeart badge. The cave on Route 1 is kind of behind a police barricade at the moment. You'll have to use the Geodude you have.
  4. Frogadier and Fomantis aren't going to help you with this fight. Let your starter and your grass friend take a break for one battle, then bring them back after you have the PoisonHeart badge. Geodude can be very useful, despite being a grounded non-poison type, so keep it on the team. Fletchinder can fly, so of course, keep that on, too.
    4a. Using Geodude to lure out Mareanie is decent strategy for this fight if you switch to Noibat or Chingling/Chimecho. Toxic Spikes don't affect anything that can either Levitate or fly; this is true for all ground-based hazards.
Edited by AdmiralGallade
Point 1d

noibat isnt dragon type yet tho...

also the field dosent let you soak up toxic spikes... are you guys even playing the same game?

i do agree though a solid poison type can tank pretty much everything except seviper's bulldoze. Trubbish did it for me and acid spray allowed it to fight back and kill (Intense)