Are there any downsides to joining team magma/aqua

Dooblerino

You're forced to join at least one of them at some point (though it's a lot later down the line from when you CAN join them). Which one you choose will alter when you get certain items (Choice Band/Specs, Sunny Day/Rain Dance) and Pokemon (Houndour/Carvahna, Litten/Oshawatt?, Ponyta/Buizel) (none of these become unobtainable).

No, there's no downside and to a point joining either is optional. 
Each team just prioritizes a certain set of items and Pokemon. 

i.e Which Pokemon do you want sooner rather than later, much later: Ponyta or Buizel?

Do you want or need a Water Stone or Fire Stone sooner rather than later? 

You also MUST join a team to obtain the Bike though since this game doesn't have a Cycling Road (Well not as far as I've gotten at least) even that's optional. 

None of this matters, however, to the one reason I am thus far aware of that you require a gang to progress in the game. You just need an acquaintance with a gang leader. 

6 hours ago, Devilish said:

No, there's no downside and to a point joining either is optional. 

Is actually optional? I remember trying to ignore them, but after I reached the point where you need to go to 7th Street I found no other way but join one of them. I tried to talk to the Police Chief, since the cops later have a agent infiltrated down there, but no luck.

On 2/7/2020 at 5:43 AM, TripleHHH said:

Is actually optional? I remember trying to ignore them, but after I reached the point where you need to go to 7th Street I found no other way but join one of them. I tried to talk to the Police Chief, since the cops later have a agent infiltrated down there, but no luck.

7th Street is what I meant by:
"To a point" and "None of this matters, however, to the one reason I am thus far aware of that you require a gang to progress in the game. You just need an acquaintance with a gang leader."

• 2 weeks later...