January Site Flatulence Summary

Amethyst

• Administrators

it has been 15 years since i started running a website and i still have not figured out how to spell maintenance without spellcheck's help

this weekend's site maintenen-- maintnec-- mainten.. you know what? fuck it.
i quit.
for the rest of the post, i'm replacing the word "maintenacnencne" with "flatulence."

this weekend's site flatulence was necessitated because the evil overlords* who produce the site's forum software kindly informed me that if i wanted to fix literally anything on the site ever i would have to basically yeet the entire server and start over because the old server's equivalent-of-an operating system was incompatible with their product. this is probably all fine and well but i really would like to have been told that at any point before installing said system three years ago and spending no small number hours trying to troubleshoot problems that apparently and inherently had solution
sigh
anyway

this hell flatulence was basically us rebuilding an entirely new server from scratching and taking the old site over and just... pushing it onto the new one. 
if you can't tell, this was a very painful flatulence for us, and we would prefer not to talk about that part of it too much.

*they're not actually evil im just mad and it's more fun to say that way

so, while you won't actually notice a whole lot of new changes as a result of the flatulence, there are a handful of things that we have reason to believe have been fixed. 
and i'm going to say this, and i say this knowing how much i jinx myself, because the second i post this this accursed hellsite will almost certainly choose one of these things or something brand new and annoying to break out of the sheer amount of spite it surely houses in its hallowed scripts
nevertheless

we are hoping our flatulencehas has fixed the following permanently:

• log-ins throwing an error message
  • the bug that preventing reactions from working on the dev blog
  • the bug causing users to be logged out when visiting the dev blog and other places
  • maybe some other random things? eh? ehhh???

unfortunately, the flatulence is not without some collateral damage. for instance, you'll notice that some of the URLs of the site have changed. cass and i have had a hard fight and have done our best to make sure that external links to the site will be preserved, and to my knowledge we've done a good job of that! but this is a big site. if you find links pointing to the site or places in it that are newly broken, please let us know! there's a decent chance we can do something about it.

another casualty of the flatulence, unfortunately, is Pokemon Showdown. while we could technically restore it, it would not be a small amount of work and changing IP addresses means we'd have to get Smogon involved on that too. given that our once-bustling server had been reduced to a bit of a ghost town anyway, and was not being properly updated or moderated, we have made the decision to retire it. sorry to the like, two or three people who still used it-- this wasn't planned, but it was probably inevitable. 

we've also taken the opportunity to do some other improvements during the flatulence. most of them are small and hardly worth mentioning, but you will notice that to compliment our now better functioning react system, the options have changed a bit. the old style of emojis have been phased out in favor of the discord-style ones the site already uses, meaning you can now 🤔 at people's posts. 
and that's what's really important, i think.
we've also updated the site's home page-- did you know we had a home page? i sure didn't-- with a handful of quick links for both reborn and rejuvenation, so hopefully new users and returning people alike can get around a bit quicker.
maybe someone will even read the FAQ.
...yeah i know, that's silly.

that's about it though. if you haven't already checked the newly-repaired dev blog, i suggest you do so!

but all that said and done, i will officially draw this long, winding, nightmarish flatulence to a close.

thanks, everyone, for bearing with us during it.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Hmm 15

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong topic to post my inquiry in, but for some reason I keep getting logged out of my profile on its own, only to get an error message whenever I try to log back in. It got to the point where I had to reset my password several times just so I could post this. If there's a way it can be fixed, I will be very grateful for it.

• Administrators
On 1/27/2020 at 11:42 PM, The Fangame Connoisseur said:

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong topic to post my inquiry in, but for some reason I keep getting logged out of my profile on its own, only to get an error message whenever I try to log back in. It got to the point where I had to reset my password several times just so I could post this. If there's a way it can be fixed, I will be very grateful for it.

interesting, this is basically the error that was supposed to be fixed, and someone else said it was... just in case, have you tried clearing your cookies/cache for this site?