Shift or Set?

Now, Rejuvenation is not your run-of-the-mill Pokemon game, and even on Normal difficulty provides a challenge. Even so, which battle style do you prefer/would recommend and why?

And is a Nuzlocke on Intense with a Set battle style a good idea?

TBH, I played Rejuv on the hardest difficulty without a clear strategy and I almost won every battle on my first try (except one). I did have a rotation team so I didn't use an uneffective pokemon against some trainers (I didn't use fire type pokemon against the water type gym leader, for example). You should know that I stopped playing mid-game (because I didn't like Rejuv so much), so maybe my "strategy" may not be effective through the end of the game.

Edited by The Shady Dealer

1 hour ago, The Shady Dealer said:

TBH, I played Rejuv on the hardest difficulty without a clear strategy and I almost won every battle on my first try (except one).

you may certainly count that as an exception rather than an expectation for anyone going into it.
alas, you didn't even answer the question of the topic! Shift or Set?

personally I've been playing Set mode ever since finding Reborn (and thus, in Rejuvenation, which I started on Intense mode, playthrough is on ice, so far I collected 5 or 6 badges... idr.)
it makes for a much more natural flow of battle, and it makes sense to use it in games that are actually made to provide some challenges (which is quite different from the official games).

I know of people playing either mode, I might imagine it's just individual habit.
or if the game is hard enough for someone on Shift mode, turning it to Set might make advancing quite frustrating.

and no, the Nuzlocke sounds like a nuts idea, not good for your mental health. consider it thoroughly 😛

6 hours ago, CrossImpact said:

and no, the Nuzlocke sounds like a nuts idea, not good for your mental health. consider it thoroughly 😛

Dang. And here I was hoping to make that a mono type run while I was at it. Then again, mental health is overrated nowadays...

How much does the Set style increase the overall difficulty though? Are a Set Normal run and a Shift Intense run comparable, for instance?

1 hour ago, Kite Silvers said:

Dang. And here I was hoping to make that a mono type run while I was at it. Then again, mental health is overrated nowadays...

How much does the Set style increase the overall difficulty though? Are a Set Normal run and a Shift Intense run comparable, for instance?

Well I’ve only played Intense mode in shift mode and let me say without it it would have made my battles a whole lot harder of course I didn’t heal unless my opponent first healed so that probably adds to the difficulty but yes, set mode definitely would make it more difficult. And I do not suggest a nuzlocke until you’ve played through the game. Why ruin a good story by playing nuzlocke first, y’know?

1 hour ago, ZappoNinja said:

Well I’ve only played Intense mode in shift mode and let me say without it it would have made my battles a whole lot harder of course I didn’t heal unless my opponent first healed so that probably adds to the difficulty but yes, set mode definitely would make it more difficult. And I do not suggest a nuzlocke until you’ve played through the game. Why ruin a good story by playing nuzlocke first, y’know?

That's hardly a problem since I've already finished two different runs up to v11. Both on Normal difficulty and with Shift battle style, admittedly.

Edited by Kite Silvers

23 minutes ago, Kite Silvers said:

That's hardly a problem since I've already finished two different runs up to v11. Both on Normal difficulty and with Shift battle style, admittedly.

Do a nuzlocke in that case then. I'd suggest with shift though.

Personally, I play Intense, Set, No Items.  The change from Normal to Intense on its own would ramp up the difficulty quite a bit.  Changing it to Set on its own wouldn't cause too much of a difference, since it just means one Pokemon takes a bit of damage.  If you're playing with items, that doesn't mean much.  Without items, though, both make the game a lot more difficult and require different strategies.  I wouldn't recommend playing that as a Nuzlocke, though.

I'm currently playing through Intense with Set mode and it's a lot of fun, but for the sake of your sanity, I definitely would not recommend playing it as a Nuzlocke.

Now, with some modified rules, I could see it working. Maybe you could make it so that deaths against Gym Leaders don't count, so that you aren't having to completely rebuild your team after every gym battle. Or maybe after completing a chapter, you are allowed one free Revive for a fallen teammate. Idk, you could probably pull off a normal Nuzlocke on Intense/Set, but it will not be fun.