What was the inspiration for Reborn? (and favorite characters!)

Twist

Hi, so I've been done with Epi 9 for a while and I've been dilly dallying around acting all tough guy trainer catching ALL dem pokemanz and I realized that I had one deep penetrating burning question in my sternum:

How did Amethyst think of creating all of this?!

The Characters

The Plot

The Environment

Exactly how creative do you have to be to create all these cool characters? Sure I get that some of them are a tinsy bit cliche, BUT HEY that's not a bad thing. So what was the inspiration?

On another note, what are your three top characters in the plot?

I'll go first.

Numbah 1: Taka

# 2: Cain

Numero Tres: Serra

I'd explain why but that'd take too long and I'm just here to chew ass and kick bubblegum.

My favorite 3 characters from this (for now) is Shelly, Anna and Cain.

Shelly since i just wanna cuddly wrap her in love and friendships.

Anna because she can she the things we cant.

Cain is alright by me plus he wants to help Heather who is going through the same things he has been throught.

I can make longer explainations, but I cant seem to word what I feel about these charaters right.

I guess I'll attempt at explaining reasons for favoring these three. Totally on the same boat with personwithbanana though, hard to uh, express my feely feels and stuff.

Taka

He is a really likable character from the get-go, mainly because he is a guy that seems to understand where you're coming from. You can't describe Taka as anything but friendly - except you know... when he tries to pulverize you... BUT HEY, who hasn't tried to do that to their friend some time or another?!

His circumstances are also interesting; I'm not going to go into too much detail as I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't gotten to that part yet.

In the end though, I'm just a sucker for nice-guy-antagonists.

Cain

What a great character to have as a rival... a genuine nice guy who is so far down the "PRICK" level that he actually goes into negatives... Fern, just... just stahp... GO AWAY FERN

Serra

I really love tragic characters that seem apathetic to their tragedy. Serra is just chill, like her pokemon. It's not that I actively like inactive characters that don't do active stuff, but Serra just seems like a genuinely cool person. Looking forward to seeing more of her, hopefully.

Edited by Twist

• Administrators

Oh, and Titania. Can't wait til she's in-game.

You. I like you. She has literally always been my favorite and anyone who's been around as long as I have can tell you about that.

But unfortunately I know the characters already since I've been around for over three years now- it's kind of unfair for me to answer c:

If I must- Saphira and Charlotte are my two favorites that are in so far. Awesome certainly runs in the family.

You. I like you. She has literally always been my favorite and anyone who's been around as long as I have can tell you about that.

But unfortunately I know the characters already since I've been around for over three years now- it's kind of unfair for me to answer c:

If I must- Saphira and Charlotte are my two favorites that are in so far. Awesome certainly runs in the family.

Great minds think alike. ^_^

I've only read a couple of Titania's battle logs to be honest, which is what I'm basing my opinion on. But she just seems so awesome.

I think the great thing about all the characters in Reborn is that they all have such vivid and unique personalities. You can tell a lot about them during a short interaction, which is why they're so likeable.

I like Taka because he knows that team meteor is doing bad things and even points it out to his fellow admins. I think he wants the hero to stop team meteor and losing the battle is his way of helping you.

Taka, he's the kind of bad guy you want on your side and at the same time you don't because it would make his character less interesting. =p

Julia because KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-, and idk who is behind the design of her gym but it was a genius move. No puzzle. Nothing but EXPLOSIONS!

And Charlotte, yeah talking to my jailers no big deal! And she's freaking fast and calm when she wants too (one of the event in one of the Meteor base)

Edited by Soysauce

• Administrators

Hi, so I've been done with Epi 9 for a while and I've been dilly dallying around acting all tough guy trainer catching ALL dem pokemanz and I realized that I had one deep penetrating burning question in my sternum:

How did Amethyst think of creating all of this?!

The Characters

The Plot

The Environment

Exactly how creative do you have to be to create all these cool characters? Sure I get that some of them are a tinsy bit cliche, BUT HEY that's not a bad thing. So what was the inspiration?

On another note, what are your three top characters in the plot?

I'll go first.

Numbah 1: Taka

# 2: Cain

Numero Tres: Serra

I'd explain why but that'd take too long and I'm just here to chew ass and kick bubblegum.

As I'm sure has been said a few times, all of the characters sans myself and the Meteors are based on current or former gym leaders of the Reborn Server's online league.

The plot was just a matter of... how do I combine these ~35 characters into a singular storyline? There's actually way too much going on in the plot for my liking as a writer but if others are enjoying it, then so be it; I guess I've succeeded.

The environment was actually the result of some late night shenanigans when the PO server first started. Back in the day when we were just borrowing other servers and were about three days old, I was the only auth, because there were like ten regulars and we didn't need any other auth. But, like many humans, I needed to sleep so one night after I signed off, something or other happened- and others can probably tell you better than I can- and one of our members, Will, decided that as a result of my absence the Armageddon had occurred and people would be forced to eat Pokemon for sustenance and Reborn would become a ruined city. That night he conceived the story of Infinitas, a webcomic he draws based around Reborn and its members, which takes place in the post-apocalyptic city.

A solid year or two later, someone on the forums made a topic about drawing maps of Reborn, and being the show off I am, I decided to be a jerk and one-up everyone with this (because it gave me something to do in class >>; ). So I worked on that on and off as a matter of fun for some number of months and talked about what some of the places might be like as I drew and thought of it.

Then after I posted it, another member posted a forum topic and was like, "Imma make a game based on the map" and mentioned some software, RMXP, that now had Pokemon scripts created for it- and it just so happened it was the software that I had stopped using several years ago, but practiced with since I was 11 and ran a website based on using since I was 13.

So I was like "yo dawg imma let u finish but" and then i made some stuff up based on the map and put out the first episode two weeks later and was like yo.

My favorite character is obvs Amy, just because she's one of my best friends IRL

Besides her, I rather like Anna and Titania.

Wow, that map is fantastic.

As it turns out, I always name my pokemon after gemstones as well.

I knew the game had some gemstone influenced names but only now do I see that most of my team has its name shared with a location in-game...

3Sc2V.png

////////

Anyways, that's actually really cool. I had no idea until now that the history of Reborn was so rich. : D

It's so unfair though, I really want to meet Titania now. @_@

I think Cain is funny, I make the same type of jokes around some of my friends. But I get a feeling Cain actually means some of his jokes. Anyway, my favorite characters are Victoria and Kiki. Maybe it is because I relate to the whole Sensei/student relationship, and have had to deal with those close to me going through debilitating illnesses. And unfortunately, not winning the fight... Anyway, I always have a lot of respect for those who don't let even the worst of circumstances define them. Kiki actually reminded me a lot of someone I once knew. Probs why I had such an issue with that damn Gastly.... Victoria I like because I am usually the one who get sidetracked by wanting to help people, so it is nice when someone else wants to help. not just because it is their responsibility.

Ugh...cain.... <_<

Please do not tell me you are hating on Cain simply because he is gay.

Cain is a great character who just makes me laugh my ass off every time we talk. Also his past is deep, I know friends who are constantly shunned by family for their sexual preferences and just want to run away. I do admit though when I first saw him and he challenged me, I thought he was hot...til I saw the title 'Pretty Boy'. I would say though if I was gay, Cain would be choice number 1...if I was gay....but I'm not.....but if I was..

I thought he was hot...til I saw the title 'Pretty Boy'. I would say though if I was gay, Cain would be choice number 1...if I was gay....but I'm not.....but if I was..

...you're digging yourself into a hole... :P

Cain: I'm a female playing a male character. As a result, the interactions are just that much funnier to me. The fun part is that he seems to say the same things to a female character, which means he's indiscriminately flirtatious. Anyone who can crack that much is funny in my book.

Julia: Boomies! She reminds me of an RP a few friends and I made, down to her nuking tendencies. She was very fun with her story arc, and I wish I had seen more of her.

Corey: I'd say he hits close to home, but even I wasn't that hopeless. He was just melancholy through and through. I knew about his retirement before he, well, retired. He's the kind of person I would try to help. He really, really needed it. :(

Anna: This is the first time I've seen a character blurring the line between clairvoyance and psychosis. She's very unique because of the way she's presented.

Only three? Hmm I'd have to say Charlotte, Zel, and Anna.

Cain and Taka are up there too. Oh, and Titania. Can't wait til she's in-game.

Titania? Isn't Titania the one who's going to push Amaria down that waterfall in north obsidia ward and kill her? (according to shade's gym) Also. what happened between Florinia and Titania? Seems like you know a lot about her.

OT:

My favourite ones are Shelly, Anna, Amaria, Kiki, Cain and Charlotte, can't choose the top 3 between these, I like all of them for different reasons :D.

• Administrators

Titania? Isn't Titania the one who's going to push Amaria down that waterfall in north obsidia ward and kill her? (according to shade's gym) Also. what happened between Florinia and Titania? Seems like you know a lot about her.

admittedly i am not expecting good things from her, knowing Ame, but- ... you know, I think I need to talk with Amethyst about something. Nevermind me.

I like Taka because he's a chill dude who really does not seem to want to be a part of his

dads

organization, but is kinda forced into it by the whole "You have to be a part of the family" mentality.

Charlotte's pretty cool.

And Noel, because he's the realist in the whole realist/romantic thing with him and Anna, and I kinda prefer the voice of reason.

• 8 months later...

I'm surprised no one mentioned ZEL too much. Is it just me who just loves the whole Dissasociative Identity Disorder (Mulpitple presonalitites). I think my top five would be...

1. ZEL

2.Anna

3.Cain

4.Taka

5.Titania/ Julia

They're all really close though, and as previously mentioned, all the caracters are all incrediby unique. I love Anna because.... well.. whats not to love about her, she sees and hears things that aren't visible (or even existant) to the other characters but actually are 'true', it adds a bit of mystery. Cain is just really amusing, a pretty cool rival and unique as well. Taka, like others said before me, is a good guy at heart but forced to do stuff he wouldn't want to, and does so half heartedly, he even goes to the point of telling the player what else is happening so they could, of course, stop it. Titania.. well, I don't know much about her but at the Trainer School, if you read her diary(Hehhehe), it gives you a pretty good snapshot of her personality. I guess putting her name on the list is more of a place holder, but I have high hopes for her :D If she doesn't turn out to be as expected (Which I doubt), then I'd probably chose Julia... No explanation needed xD (Kaaa BOOOM)