Story, plot, and characters. Mini rant thing. (Basically spoilers really)

ZappoNinja

Not trashing on Jan or whatever and I know that rewrites have certainly made characters more likeable and made the game more enticing than what I saw it was looking at older versions of the game but I feel like a couple parts of the game needs a rewrite for some parts and that includes some characters, the story in some places, and the plot in some places. One of my bigger problems with Rejuvenation is that sometimes the game makes it so defeating your opponent just doesn't have any significant impact. Like with the shadow Mewtwo near the beginning of the game, I like the fight, it's neat and all if you defeat the Mewtwo, but afterwards it's like it doesn't even matter. Would have made more sense if Keta/Kenneth told the player to go on ahead with Aelita whether or not the player won or lost and then fought Madelis's team with either the shadow Mewtwo if it won, or her Pokemon team she has if it lost against the player and either way he dies because Madelis beats him then kills him but at the very least it makes it feel like I as the player had made a difference instead of just "Ha ha! I have max revives!" 

Anyway next point is Blacksteeple Castle. Everyone in that castle is an idiot. Simple solution that I see? Just make the stay longer but just have it skip a week instead of a day passing. Neved trusting Emma/Melia after a day is bullshit especially considering he never saw her face. Make him ask her if she wants to join week two or whatever then week 3 right before Madame X arrives and before the player escapes have him tell Melia everything because at that point he'd trust her enough instead of being a complete moron telling her everything day 3 she's there and has only been suspicious with how she's asking him everything and for some reason Neved giving an answer anyway even though he said she was lower than a guard in the first place her reminding him of his daughter doesn't justify jack shit. Also no one cares that the MP's mother dies, only that Melia zapped Madame X. Most of the characters tell the MP that they're sorry my mother died like once then it's over and never mentioned again. And the apologies aren't even good ones. Anyway that's all for now. P.S. I love this game, just wish stuff like Blacksteeple could be improved.

• Like 1

...And everyone thought I didn't know what I was talking about. For the first complaint, those are referred to as impossible battles which are scripted to be like loses. The best that can be done is add a snippet of dialogue implying you did good. Pretty much impossible to change.

The next thing is something I'd approach differently. Instead of changing the time lapse, why not rewrite Neved's character on why he'd trust someone so suspicious. Put some clarity onto it. Maybe instead of focusing on the plot dump change it so that Neved wants an outside perspective on things which he chose Melia just purely for reminding him of his daughter. In the grand scheme of things he really is no different to the prisoners on this island. I am a tad busy otherwise I'd totally go more into this. Sorry.

• Like 1

This entire game need a rewrite on a lot of scenes. A lot of them.

It's fun and stupid as it is now, but I'd honestly rewrite things so that character decisions make more sense, characters have more character flaws, et cetera.

And the dialogue. A lot of the dialogue needs to be rewritten.

I know about the battles where you're supposed to lose but it would be nice if fainting a legendary Pokemon meant something more is all. And yeah, could do that for Blacksteeple or maybe they could do the 3 week thing except instead of Melia being told everything by Neved she learns stuff over time by doing patrols as a guard. Also I still want my mother's death to have more people care about it.  And the Terajuma arc does have a lot of flaws with it but other than characters just being annoying by making things difficult like Melia feeling like she needs to go save Nim by herself or Amber refusing to do the gym battle I found the arc enjoyable. 

12 hours ago, ShadeStrider said:

This entire game need a rewrite on a lot of scenes. A lot of them.

It's fun and stupid as it is now, but I'd honestly rewrite things so that character decisions make more sense, characters have more character flaws, et cetera.

And the dialogue. A lot of the dialogue needs to be rewritten.

Fun and stupid isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes dumb fun is a good way to take a break from the story segments as it's not meant to be important or usually relevant to a story. There's just no one good solution to solving the issue or making the most people happy. If you can't win, don't try. That is a sad, but true methodology to go by when listening to most fan feedback as most people don't give enough to work off of. If there's a common pattern, that's when you take note and try to address it or should.

Don't be vague like you are. This can seriously hurt a game and not enough people realize it. If you are in a devs shoes, this could mean so many things. It could mean people aren't a fan of the humor and the characters should be toned down more and become even more shallow to make those scenes less jarring. It could also mean more characters need to be involved in scenes and add more time to them to make the plot and writing more interesting. Give some specifics for the developers to look at and address because rewriting the whole plot is not possible. You cannot change this game's story. I want to make that clear. You can tweak or add, but every outcome in the plot will need to be the same.

3 hours ago, ZappoNinja said:

I know about the battles where you're supposed to lose but it would be nice if fainting a legendary Pokemon meant something more is all.

I haven't looked at the scripts, but perhaps in time they will do something later. There's only two in the game so I don't see the issue. Though I could understand the complaint of having so many legendaries being involved and not being able to use a legendary Pokemon yourself (no, Phione does not count).

And yeah, could do that for Blacksteeple or maybe they could do the 3 week thing except instead of Melia being told everything by Neved she learns stuff over time by doing patrols as a guard.

I just want to make one thing clear: the story can and only will take place in 3 days. That cannot be changed as the amount of work having to check dialogue would be ridiculous. You're never going to gain anything from fighting that war. The exchanges between Melia and Neved, however, can and should be brought up as you can bring a very strong argument that Neved's character is a mess with contradictions and pushes Melia more into Mary Sue territory and a very unlikable character due to this. Asking for clarity and justification on that front will give you more backing and more likely to get addressed and fixed over "this part is bad and should spend a lot of time to fix this way."

Just a Commander tip: Never tell a writer what to do*. Point out an issue in a way that they cannot refute. This issue will be ingrained into their head that over time they have to fix the issue or slowly crawl into the abyss called insanity.

*Unless you are the boss of them (aka a Publisher). Then you can tell them what to do.

Also I still want my mother's death to have more people care about it

There's three words you are looking for: expand upon it. This is an argument that can go either way as we do have some characters who acknowledge it quite a bit, but it's just quickly drawn into the background. I'm not sure how much you can gain out of this because the plot does abruptly shift into the Terajuma arc not leaving much room. I'd ask for the dialogue in the ship to be expanded upon as a good final sendoff to a heroic death and more focus. I mean Saki (...don't even make me do this girl again) could say:

"I'm free! Ain't no motherfucking Xen grunts gonna catch me this time...

Shit.

I forgot your mother...now I feel bad. But frowns aren't gonna help anybody so it's back to all smiles for me. Just call on your local jolly dumbo if you need some cheering up, okay?"

I don't do Saki, okay?

And the Terajuma arc does have a lot of flaws with it but other than characters just being annoying by making things difficult like Melia feeling like she needs to go save Nim by herself or Amber refusing to do the gym battle I found the arc enjoyable.

Those two thing you listed can't change...for better or worse sadly. Melia's could easily be fixed by giving her a sudden shift in thought to leave everyone out of it aka foreshadowing said events so it's not as aggravating, but Amber has to stay Amber. Her character is deeply written and designed around these events so changing how she handles them or what she does pretty much is out of the question. She is a character meant to drive you up the wall (I think she's the only one who's supposed to) so that might be her delivering the right reaction. Kind of like Fern in Reborn is a love to hate character. I'm glad you enjoyed the arc because I'm very indifferent towards it. The post Angie segment has been getting a bit better though...thankfully.

-------------------------------------------------------------

And just as a final note, don't worry about what you say as any feedback is better than no feedback. All I'm trying to do is help you guys focus more or at least be more reasonable with the issues you have (not all issues can be solved...sadly). Speaking out on something you really liked is just as important as stuff you didn't as neglected stuff could be stuff that's decided to be axed or removed. Same goes for things that irritate you because other people may be thinking the same thing and now an issue surfaced that wouldn't have otherwise. Also if you don't agree with my suggestions, then don't agree. Not like I can tell you what you think of the game.

I agree with pretty much most of what you said upon reading through this though it'll certainly be difficult to figure out a good reason for Neved to trust Emma so easily in such a short amount of time. Eh, if Jan cares to fix it he'll figure something out. M'alright. That's all. Or should be anyway.  Dunno if anyone else will have anything to add onto this. Thanks for the reply thing message to make me think. I don't remember words right now.