Souta needs to be nerfed. Seriously.

ShadeStrider

It's one thing to be difficult. It's another thing to be outright unfair.

First of all: Mega Pidgeot. It outspeeds almost everything, and the fact that Hurricane never misses due to No guard and the boost from the field.

Second: Sky Attack. That move is insane on this field. It already has high base power, and the fact that it doesn't have to charge and gains a boost from the field means that it can outright dent even the bulkiest of rock types. And if you survive and try to rock slide or stone edge, then Pidgeot and Unfezant have big pecks, which gives a defense boost.

I dislike how their are barely any catchable pokemon in the area that have the speed and power to take on a Mega Pidgeot. Since you can't backtrack back to West Gearen, it means that it's extremely hard to get a pokemon that can stand up to Souta. I think that Mega Pidgeot is really the root of this gym's problems.

If you do have a pokemon that Outspeeds: Tailwind has got you covered.

There are other problems, but I think these are the worst of them.

Or maybe I'm just overreacting. Is there something I missed? Some hax mon that can troll Souta's team to death?

Whatever I missed, I ask of our Lord Jan to nerf Souta, like Masahiro Sakurai did to his son, Meta Knight. And I totally did not make this post just so that I could say that.

• Global Mods

He's one of those leaders who's incredibly strong in their field, and pretty weak if you get rid of it. also stealth rocks are effective. 

I think it might technically be possible to get back to the old area too with a jaunt through the past

One thing to keep in mind that helped me out a bit when fighting him: his Tailwind comes not from a move, but a single-use held item. There is an Elemental Seed hidden in the area so that you, too, can set up your own Tailwind at the drop of a hat, nullifying one of his advantages, or giving yourself one over him (depending on your timing).

Also confirming that time travel is really nice for standard travel in this game- as Venam alluded to back in West Gearen earlier.

Souta in my opinion wasn't that difficult. Simiply use a magnezone with the sturdy ability which also know thunder wave and electric terrain. Got rid of his mega pideot pretty easily with that combo. His therain-form Thundurus was the only real issue but my jolly nature Lycanroc took care of it. I hoped this helps u my man. Good luck!

An electrode can work wonders if you mirror coat and give the pidgeot and thundurus a taste of their own medicine. Magnezone is a good option as well as ampharos with electric terrain. Smack down can help get rid of the feild as mentioned though changing it can be much more advantageous. Changing the annoying windy weather with cloud9 etc can help so as much as souta is op in some ways he is vulnerable in others.