Need Help Picking a 6th (At Vanhanen Castle)

CodeCass

So this is kind of an update, and kind of me trying to figure out what a good semi-permenant 6th team-member would be. As of taking down Cain at the Vanhanen Castle, here are my 5 main team members that I think I'll stick with:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chesnaught: Lvl 54: (Bulletproof)

- Hammer Arm

- Needle Arm

- Spikey Shield

- Bite

Arcanine: Lvl 55: (Intimidate)

- Flamethrower

- Crunch

- ExtremeSpeed

- Close Combat

Krookodile: Lvl 55: (Anger Point)

- Earthquake

- Foul Play

- Rock Smash

- ThunderFang

Starmie: Lvl 54: (Analytic)

- Hydro Pump

- Psychic

- Recover

- Power Gem

Magneton: Lvl 54: (Analytic)

- Discharge

- Flash Cannon

- Thunder Wave

- Flash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So those are the five I think I'm going to stick with right now.

For a 6th, I've been using:

Flygon: Lvl 54: (Levitate)

- Dragon Rush

- Rock Slide

- Strength

- Crunch

My issue here is...I don't like Flygon. I've never liked Flygon. I don't want to use Flygon. However, at this point, Flygon has been my best option. So now I'm trying to figure out what some good other options might be for my 6th member? 

I've thought about working in a good Flyer like:

- Aerodactyl (this is my first choice)

- Archeops (a favorite of mine but I'm not sure which is better between him and Aerodactyl)

- Staraptor (Everyone likes a nice and powerful Staraptor, yes?)

- Honchkrow (I've heard they're useful, and I've got both a decent Murkrow and a dusk stone...)

But I've also thought about maybe a good Ghost or Psychic type?

- Cofagrigus (Probably my favorite Ghost type, but I'm not sure how I'd make her super useful here)

- Gardevoir (A fellow forum member, @Elvenlore, was nice enough to trade me a Ralts that I'm sure would be useful)

Lastly I wasn't sure if maybe I could use a good Bug, Ice, or Poison type or something else?

- Heracross (in the area next to me, could catch and use)

- Levanny (I've got a Sewaddle with great stats just hanging out in the box, not doing a thing)

- Nidoqueen (She's been my Toxic Spike setter and has been quite useful in the past)

- Toxicroak (She's been useful, but hasn't really gotten a chance to shine yet)

- Vanillulxe (I've never used one...not sure if it's worth a damn or not, but I've got a Vanillite)

- Alolan Sandslash (Like Sewaddle, I've got an Alolan Sandshrew with fantastic stats just chilling in my box)

So I'm hitting you all up yet again. If any of you have any tips (outside of "keep using Flygon") I'd greatly appreciate them! Also if anyone has any tips for a Pokémon that's not listed, that would be fine too! As I said, I just arrived at the Vanhanen Castle, beat Cain, and am now off to hunt for their missing Gardevoir. Hopefully that can be of some reference.

As always, thanks a ton folks! Any help is very much appreciated! 

3 minutes ago, St0mpa said:

Personally I would recomend using Flygon for the psychic gym and using Nidoqueen outside of that. 

I thought about using Nidoqueen, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to double-up on the Ground typing since Krookodile's got a permanent spot. 

43 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

Defeat the upcoming Gym Leader and grab yourself Silvally. It takes a bit of work to get one, but in my opinion definitely worth it.

See, I've never used Type: Null or Silvally. Are they really that good? I hadn't even considered trying to get one. 

U just to use pokémon wiwhout weakness by psychic and possibly rock type (For Chess Field), so tried to use Aerodactyl, Magneton, Krookodile (not vs Gardevoir), Cofagrigus, Starmie and Flygon

WHO SUMMONED ME

If you have Flygon with your current set-up, half your team is weak to fairy and ice (Ches, Krook, Fly). If you add Honchkrow you'll still have half your team weak to fairy and ice (Ches, Krook, Honch). I'd aim for something that compliments your final five and checks that weakness (or at least doesn't add to it).

If you're running into Radomus's gym next the last thing you want is a poison type. On the chess field it'll go down like a sack of bricks.

From what I've seen of Cofagrigus, it can be incredibly bulky. Never used one but it could be useful?

Edited by Elvenlore

1 minute ago, CodeCass said:

See, I've never used Type: Null or Silvally. Are they really that good. I hadn't even considered trying to get one. 

I have used it just as a Normal-type as well as changing the type with Memories. In my experience both are viable: Normal-type Silvally has STAB Explosion, which is nice. Or you could just run Return instead.  Silvally is extremely flexible; you can change Silvally's typing on the spot if you have the Memory for it, not to mention Multi-Attack is a nice 90 base power STAB move.  Silvally also has a decent movepool (also learns Surf so you don't need to sacrifice any of Starmie's moves). 

2 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

I have used it just as a Normal-type as well as changing the type with Memories. In my experience both are viable: Normal-type Silvally has STAB Explosion, which is nice. Or you could just run Return instead.  Silvally is extremely flexible; you can change Silvally's typing on the spot if you have the Memory for it, not to mention Multi-Attack is a nice 90 base power STAB move.  Silvally also has a decent movepool (also learns Surf so you don't need to sacrifice any of Starmie's moves). 

That's actually really interesting. I wasn't really looking forward to having to figure out the Surf situation anyway, haha. The whole thought of using Silvally is completely new, so I'll definitely do some research on it! 

6 minutes ago, Elvenlore said:

WHO SUMMONED ME

If you have Flygon with your current set-up, half your team is weak to Fairy (Ches, Krook, Fly). If you add Honchkrow you'll have half your team weak to fairy and ice (Ches, Krook, Honch). I'd aim for something that compliments your final five and checks that weakness (or at least doesn't add to it).

If you're running into Radomus's gym next the last thing you want is a poison type. On the chess field it'll go down like a sack of bricks.

From what I've seen of Cofagrigus, it can be incredibly bulky. Never used one but it could be useful?

Great points. Never thought about Honchkrow or the Poison types struggling. It's kind of hard for me to glance at my group and figure out weaknesses as a whole, if that makes sense. I do love me some Cofagrigus as it's my favorite Ghost. She's a great wall for sure which could be incredibly useful. She's no slouch when it comes to SpAtk either really. 

Gardevoir is the best contender of the bunch. You never go wrong with Gardevoir. Also because you lack a Psychic/Fairy type.

Although later in the game if you would much prefer a Flying type, I highly suggest the one and only, Togekiss.

1 hour ago, Maqqy said:

Gardevoir is the best contender of the bunch. You never go wrong with Gardevoir. Also because you lack a Psychic/Fairy type. 

If I went with Gardevoir, would it be wise to swap out Starmie for a different Water type since Gardevoir will cover my Psychic Type? Perhaps Barbaracle or Araquanid?

45 minutes ago, CodeCass said:

If I went with Gardevoir, would it be wise to swap out Starmie for a different Water type since Gardevoir will cover my Psychic Type? Perhaps Barbaracle or Araquanid?

I think its ok to have the 2 psychic types because you have several other pokemon that cover their weaknesses.

@CodeCass It’s okay to stay with Starmie since it’s also strong but switching with Araquanid is also a good choice. Further along the game you can switch it with the most powerful water type in Reborn and that is in fact, Gyarados. Who can also be your flying type.

5 minutes ago, Maqqy said:

@CodeCass It’s okay to stay with Starmie since it’s also strong but switching with Araquanid is also a good choice. Further along the game you can switch it with the most powerful water type in Reborn and that is in fact, Gyarados. Who can also be your flying type.

Sounds like a good plan! I may swap to Araquanid for now just for some more coverage. Now I just have to figure out how to find Dewpider! 

I just realized that if I go:

Chesnaught

Arcanine

Magnezone

Araquanid

Gardevoir

Krookodile

Then I'll have a team that consists of no Pokémon from the same Generation....and I LOVE that.