Official Super Smash Bros. Thread for Wii U and 3DS

Maelstrom

Well it hasn't been said already, so I guess I'll say it first. Big spoiler inbound if you didn't see the Nintendo Direct.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. MUH FUGGIN BUSTER BOI CLOUD MOTHER FUCKIN' STRIFE FROM FINAL FANTASY 7 HAS BEEN REVEALED AS POTENTIAL DLC SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE. ALL ABOARD THE MUH FUGGIN HYEP TRAIN!!!!!

K. I'm good.

Edit: Damn you ninja Shing.

Edited by Darvan Korematsu

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm actually expecting Goku, Shrek, and Magnemite now. Very sad.

The main reasons I can see that anyone would be upset about Cloud are:

1. They just dislike Cloud as a character, which is an understandable reason to be upset if that's their opinion, but it doesn't decrease his legitimacy at all. We all have some characters in Smash that we dislike.

2. They think he's only in the game because he's overrated/fanboyed too much, which could potentially be true, but that's also Nintendo's job. They're trying to pick characters who will be the most popular, and Cloud obviously has a large fanbase.

3. They think he is the illegitimate/undeserving candidate chosen from the Sm4sh poll, which is most likely not the case. As many people have theorized, it's likely that Cloud was intended before the poll was even released. There's another announcement next month which may delve into the poll.

4. He's not Nintendo. Granted, I doubt many people have this as their reasoning, as there have been/are already non-Nintendo characters in Smash. This is nothing new.

5. They think there are other characters more deserving of the spot. This largely ties into #1 and #2. It comes down to personal opinion here, and in the end, popularity and notoriety will win out. Plus, as I've said, it's likely that Cloud has already been planned to have this spot for a while, so nothing would have changed that. I could name off a bunch of characters in Smash who I think are less-deserving than other characters who aren't, but then again, we all can.

Tldr; It's understandable if people are mad about this, but in the end, Nintendo just followed through with their logic. Overall, I think more people will be super hyped about this than upset, which is their end goal. Plus, this is a huge milestone for Smash. If they can get a character as famous and well-known as Cloud from a third-party title, pretty much anyone could be fair game from here on out. (Barring those of a few exceedingly stubborn companies)

I hate Cloud's inclusion because, other than Rhythm games and cameos in non-main series Kingdom Hearts games (Another series heavily associated with Playstion) his games have been Playstation games. No, not the entirety of the Final Fantasy series, obviously, but the only game Cloud was in.

I don't even like Star Fox, didn't like him in Brawl, and probably wouldn't buy him because he's a veteran, but I'd rather have had Wolf announced.

Judging by the video, it appears that Cloud will be a somewhat defensive character, with emphasis on mixups, who will transition to heavy offense when he Limit Breaks. His recovery doesn't look like it'll be very impressive outside of Limit Break, and his KO power looks like it also needs Limit Break to be a big threat. Cloud however seems to be great on defense with long range and projectiles to hold off until he's ready to flick the switch and go offensive.

Too early to say too much though, this is just speculation. We'll see when he comes out.

EDIT: The alternate costume is from Advent Children.

So limit break is gonna work similar to mac's ko punch build up or what?

He seems like a mix between Ike and Shulk for most of his moves.

He has a bit of a combo move that reminds me of the other FE characters' side B. Is that Zantetsuken or something else?

Dat Great Aether comparison though.

Was that a sonic slash? And that stage looks absolutely awesome. Did you notice the different music they played? =3

there's something off about the way they did his face and it keeps bothering me. disproportional maybe?

I might do a big "what is going on on in this trailer" thing when I get home. Aka, Game Xplain Mode.

Also no Mael. The move that slices the Midgar stage in half is Zantatsuken.

And Ryan, that defensive idea makes me think of how Cloud keeps his distance so he can reflect his back ground as a traditional JRPG character, kinda like Ness and Lucas do.
Stay tuned peoples! =]

Edit

I haven't done this in a while, and I am going to do it despite what you guys already know...

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!

Cloud Strife!

IK7fowL.png

Yes people! This is real.

Holy crap, I never thought I would see the day Cloud gets added to a smash bros roster. Keep in mind people, this character may not only be highly requested, but he is the face of JRPGs, as well as one of the most modded characters in Brawl and Project M. A ton of people are comparing him to Shulk, but I don't see it. He looks like a mix between Ike and Metaknight with a little bit of Little Mac, or PM Lucas/Lucario if you want to get technical. Now, let's talk about our favorite (or least favorite) spikey haired Swordsman.

NfwIxnx.jpg

Sorry, but your princess is in another Chapel.

e6yiUQw.png

Advent Children Cloud is cool, but where is Kawaii Cloud?

6qvUUH9.png

Kawaii As Fuck.

Cloud appears to be a character copying a lot of Ike's assets but with a moveset of his own. Kind of like how Lucas copies Ness and Little Mac copies Captain Falcon. He shares quite a few simular moves as well as the same idle animations. As for his gameplay, he uses long range sword swipes while occasionally poking with his Beam Blade projectile. Let's dissect his moveset even further.

His Jab consists of a double kick combo that ends with Horizontal swipe. The attack is obviously similar Ike's and Shulk's Jab. Fast and reliable, just like theirs.

UgDbShq.png

8zwjxdg.png

As for his tilts. His forward tilt is a simple forward slash, similar to Marth's. His up tilt is an upward slash, similar to Link's. And lastly is is down tilt, which is a slide attack akin to Mega Man's but reminiscent of Sub-Zero in Mortal Kombat. Up and Down tilt look like they can lead to a second attack creating a combo.

R3MxXLr.png

F99l45c.png

gKlxSAw.png

We also have a dash attack, which is this interesting hilt smack that launches people in an odd angle, kinda like how Fox's does. At low percentages he can probably combo off of it on Heavier or faster falling characters.

ULyaLmc.png

Next is his Aerials which scream Fire Emblem. His Nair and Fair are almost identical to Ike's being a near 270 degree slash and powerful overhead. His Dair is similar to Shulk's where it is a stab going straight down. Cloud's Bair is identical to Marth's and lastly is his Up air which is actually original. He pushes his sword upwards and can hit people in front of him as well as above him. Cloud can probably use his Nair, Fair, and Bair to do cool cross ups and mix ups. his Dair can spike, while his Up air looks like a cool Juggle tool.

exEpRsG.png

0dkahmT.png

zYn6gHS.png

yio2fAb.png

eVBleAL.png

His smash attacks are what make me think of Metaknight the most. His Forward smash is a triple slash, which reminds me of Shiek and Link. His Down Smash is an odd but cool looking downwards stab that has a similar effect as Ganondorf's where it can drag people standing in front of him behind him. Finally is his up smash, which is an uppercut slash. I compare the attacks to MK because they look like they have little to no cool down, just like masked puffball himself.

M2nktzO.png

T6fnaOd.png

9kq56mA.png

Last subtle thing about his is his back throw, which is identical to Ike's. I want to move on to his B specials though. They are all based on his Limit Break attacks. However, like Little Mac he can power up his moves by actually unleashing a limit break. It is not explained how his limit break is achieved. However in game most characters achieve limit break as they take damage or deal damage. Limit Break variants of attacks have devastating KO power. Neutral B is the lamely named Beam Blade which shoots a blade of wind straight forward. This looks like a good poke tool that can also be used in the air. Side B is his infamous Cross Slash, where he draws symbols while slashing the opponent up in a stasis. I am curious how that move works out in 2v2 or Free-for-Alls. Down B is a spin slash simular to Link's called Finishing Touch, we don't see the not limit break version of it, but it creates a huge tornado. Lastly is his recovery which is two moves actually. Climhazzard and Braver. It looks like the move is performed by pressing up B, and then following up the input with a second B press. Cloud slashes upwards like Marth, then comes downwards like Ike or Kirby.

z5jlVAR.png

IX4rG0p.png

WsDi26d.png

ajDii61.png

zQFHjQ8.png

The poses Cloud performs that look like they are charging his limit breaks are actually taunts.

RSg3mlx.png

There is also his Final Smash Omni Slash

c5SfMQi.png

We also have a new really cool stage called Midgar based on the main city in Final Fantasy VII. We also have classic Final Fantasy Summons attack the stage with their iconic finishing moves.

lTTuGGh.png

Battlefield with Hazards, aka banned as fuck.

QKTcTXl.png

Odin's OHKO move, Zantensuken! Splitting the stage in half, just like his enemies.

aP8Mbtx.png

Leviathan flooding the stage with Tidal Wave!

j0IUKVZ.png

Ramuh, charging up the platforms with Judgement Bolt!

v7Br6g0.png

Tipping the stage with Ifrit's vicious Hellfire!

wY2yQME.png

Lastly is the eventual doom of Neo Bahamutt's Giga Flare!

There are also some noteworthy summons missing that will probably be in the full game at release. Like Shiva and Carbucle. That is all I am pointing out for now, so cya nerds later.

Ok, this is a day or 2 old but I improved since then. Regardless I like to show a replay of me get dunked my luigi now.

EDIT: I am going to a monthly today. The doubles starts at 2:00 pm est. Singles pools will start at 5:00 but I am in the second wave so I may appear at approximately 6:00 pm est.

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/613smash

This tech is rather interesting and hardest tech ever in sm4sh?

I tried to do shit in 3ds, but well it's hard af considering the timing and frame.

I saw this last night and want to try it with Mac later. This crap will not work online at all. Missing frames suck.

This is a pretty useful video of cloud.

Man, this gets me so hyped for Cloud. He's looking more and more like the main I've been looking for in this game. Meta-Knight's where I'm at so far, but as of yet, nobody's been that perfect fit for me.

Man. We'll riot for Cloud if we have to. Barge down the Nintendo headquarters for him, along with the people angry about not getting King K. Rool.

Speaking of that, why was K.Rool a supposedly popular choice? He's not really known, nor possesses any special traits like most of the other characters, except as a villain from one DK game.