Need help to choose monotype run[Closed]

Yagami

Choose a monotype   

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I do?

• Fire
    • Poison
    • Dragon

So I really want to play a monotype run because I never did one.I literally joined the forum because most of the time I read the runs in Team Showcase.I finally decided on 3 types that I really want to start with which are fire,dragon and poison.

Fire: This is literally my favorite type.I always choose the fire starter.Nothing would give me more pleasure than basically burning Fern.

Poison:Reading some users run and watch their videos really made me like this type.Pokemons like Nidoking have really surprised me and Cain is really funny.A bit weird but funny.I also want abuse the easiest hazard which is toxic spike.

Dragon:  Dragon is a bit overrated imao.But I like most of their designs.I don't think ever had much chance to use a dragon pokemon early game other than using a lv. 5 noibat which quickly turned into my biggest mistake.But still I want to use this type.It also seems a great idea to fight dragons with dragons than just using a gardevoir with moonblast.

Also now the online users number is rising because of the excitement for the next episode.So now seems like good time to get some votes to help me decide.

Edited by Yagami

• Global Mods

Poison gets good secondary type variety, has plenty of earlygame options (so no real need to start with special pokemon) and none of it's big weaknesses are particularly early so you have time to get ways to combat those effectively. 

Plus you still get the satisfaction of being supereffective against ferns main type. 

(I do personally like fire type better, but think poison would make for a better run)

Edited by DreamblitzX

1 minute ago, QualityGamingYT said:

What Pokemon are you planning on using if your gonna do a said mono team?

Couldn't decide on the team because I am still thinking about the type.But I am thinking about a big team for all 3 types because I want to see how they do.So I am going to at least use most of the pokemons that are currently available in the game.

6 minutes ago, Yagami said:

Couldn't decide on the team because I am still thinking about the type.But I am thinking about a big team for all 3 types because I want to see how they do.So I am going to at least use most of the pokemons that are currently available in the game.

Good to know.

Also, nice Blaziken you got there.

@Yagami I voted Poison since it's the most abundant type early game and you can do a vanilla run, without having to trade mons in.

Fire would be my second choice. If you do a Fire mono though, please, for the love of God, use something other than Torchik. It just kills the challenge, plus Blaziken is ugly as hell.

It depends what you're looking for.

You want pleasure ? Go for fire. Fighting Charlotte with Typhlosion and Darmanitan against her own Typhlosion and Darmanitan and burning her to a crisp was probably my favourite battle in the game. And burning most of the field effects is great.

You want challenge ? Go for dragon. Try the hardcore mod with just a Deino as a starter. If you finish this run, you'll be very proud of yourself. Or you'll smash your computer out of frustration against a gym leader.

And if you want variety, poison is probably the best. Though looking for variety in a monotype run seems a bit of a contradiction to me.

I like two of your choises. Fire and Poison.
Poison is in my eyes the most powerful, even though it has the lowest average stat total of the three types. That is because of three factors:

1. Available Pokemon and Typediversity. Poison has 9 available pokemon before the first gym. That means you can have a full team of 6 at day one of your adventure. They also get a fair share of dual types, letting you build a diverse team, although a lot are bug/poison or grass/poison.

2. Big pool of status moves. Think of any strategy right now. There's a poison type that can do it or at least mimic it. You can have entry hazards with Toxic Spikes or regular Spikes, you can setup sweep with Hone Claws, Coil or Accupressure (for the lolz). You get Toxic and every powder move under the sun as well as Leech Seed to cripple your opponents with every status effect in the game except for burn and freeze. You love Blaziken? Well it's only op because of Speed Boost and Scolipede gets that as well. Remember Corey beating your ass with Venoshock? Yeah get a Dustox and start being the Corey to others at level 20. No other type beats poison's versatility.

3. Field effects. Poison is arguably the best type to take advantage of field effects. 5 Fields benefit poison types directly and 4 others can be tansformed into one of these 5 fields. Additionally you have the option of setting up a corrosive field by yourself and overriding whatever you're fighting on at the moment. This needs a Roserade or Venausaur with Grassy Terrain and any Pokemon knowing Sludge Wave. It's easier to pull off in a double battle however, since no Grassy Terrain setter can learn Sludge Wave atm. So you'll not be abusing this every fight.

Fire is both beautiful and powerful. You start off a bit slow, but have enough pokemon available early. It's also quite strong at abusing field effects. Mainly because plants are flammable material. If you manage to avoid fighting in the rain, you'll burn up quite a few bosses. You can't swing all fields in your favour, but at least cancel out some. Just remember to bring coverage moves if you go surfing or diving. Speaking of coverage, the fire type is actually somewhat limited in that regard until you get the move relearner and it also doesn't get many status moves unless the pokemon has a dual type that supports status, like Chandelure or Delphox. You can and should make use of sunny weather because it's free once you get a Ninetales and more damage never hurt you. Also Double Battles can be a blast with the right moves. Just remember that you'll get owned by Stealth Rocks, Earthquake and Rockslide.

Finally I need to agree with Jess, refrain from using Torchik. It's overhyped and one dimensional. Other starters come pretty close to its power while maintaining a healthy game balance. Get Charmander and cheese the whole early game with Dragon Rage, build yourself a mixed sweeper Chimchar with a priority boosted Iron Fist Mach Punch for sticky situations, sweep early with a Howl + Flamecharge Fennekin before switching to support your other teammates with Light Screen, Will-O-Wisp and maybe even Wish, while nicking sweet items all the way with Magician and having a unique type combination.

As for Dragon. It is going to suck but if that's what you want you'll at least get a good challenge out of it. There are 9 Dragon types available in the current release of Reborn. Just to reiterate, Poison gets 9 Pokemon before the first Gym. The second Dragon type is the mystery egg and the third and fourth come after the 6th gym. You'll probably want to switch your starter to be a Dragon type as well and depending on wether that pokemon will learn Dragon Rage or not, the early game could turn out to be surprisingly easy again.

Still these mons have always seemed boring to me. Dragons win by having high stats and using moves with high basepower and are limited by eating exp like no other type. That requires dedication, but not all too much skill. It's basically the pokemon equivalent of driving around in a Hummer in the big city. It's usually overkill, drinks too much fuel and is too clunky to find a good parking spot. You yourself think you're awesome but everybody knows you only need it to compensate for something.

Edited by BlackRum

Honestly Poison seems the most fun. The other 2 are pretty straightforward, whereas Poison allows you to sweep, Toxic stall, pull Destiny Bond shenanigans, has been paired with a huge variety of types... you won't get bored with a Poison mono.

Thanks everyone.I don't think the other 2 types are gonna win anymore since poison type already got 21 votes.So my first monotype in reborn will be poison,then fire(I want revenge on Fern) and lastly dragon.

Thanks everyone for their vote.
Now I just have to wait for episode 17.

Edited by Yagami