Roserade Breeding - A Pratical Guide

Trufa

Hello there guys! I’ve started breeding not long ago, and I'll try to share the experience I got here. Keep in mind that there could be some spoilers through the guide.

I tried to breed a Timid Roserade with Sludge Bomb, Extrasensory and Leaf Storm, perfect IVs and ability Poison Point. But I couldn’t make it because of the breeding mechanics. You need a lot of lucky to breed a 6IVs with all those moves, because Destiny Knot does not work well on E12 of Reborn and you need to work on this episode to make TM breeding. One alternative would be using SandBox Mod, but I prefer the hard work. Now, down to business:

First of all, we should look at the natures that pokemons can get:

image.png.11cd6c3d69a575709e6842759f4fdbb8.png       

Every pokemon you capture on the wild or that you breed will have one of them. Natures will affect the stats growth of a pokemon, when it reaches lvl 100, one stat will have been increased by 10% and other will have been decreased by 10%. Chosing the right nature for the pokemon you want will make it stronger. For example, Blaziken is Physical Attacker, so it will benefit more from natures that increase attack, like Adamant. One thing that you should keep in mind is that the less you mess with Defense and Special Defense, the better, unless you're up to some strategy.

Now let's take a look at Roserade's Base Stats:

Roserade_XY.gif.18ae65d9acda03f66653674593222ce8.gif

HP: 60

Attack: 70

Defense: 65

SP. Atk: 125

Sp. Def: 105

Speed: 90

By seeing those stats, we can assume that Roserade is a Special Attacker and it's quite fast. So, for Roserade the best natures are: Modest and Timid. Modest raises the special attack, making it even stronger, and decreases the attack, since Roserade will not make any use from it. Timid raises Speed, which makes her hit fast, and also decrease attack. I favor more a pokemon that hits first than a pokemon that hits hard, and with that high SP. Atk, Roserade will benefit a lot from the Timid nature, that's why I made this choice, but you can run a Modest one if you like.

Now there are some things that you should know/have before starting any breeding:

1 - Genders

There is not an apache attack helicopter on pokemon (sorry). A male pokemon can only get laid with a female pokemon. The offspring will be determined by the female of the couple, if you breed a male Grimer with a female Gastly, the offspring will be a Gastly. Also, the offspring have 80% of chance of getting its ability from its mother, if it is a hidden ability, this chance drops to 60%. A male parent will pass down its TM based moves to the offspring. We will have to deal with this here.

2 - Ditto

Ditto is a genderless pokemon that can reproduce with every other specie but it's own or pokemons on the undiscovered egg group (such like baby or legendary pokemon)

3 - Egg groups

Step-2-Egg-Groups_preview.png.e4cbde2322420673a4fa47feccdab83c.png

Every Pokemon will be part of at least one of those egg groups. They are based on biological traits of Pokemon Species and it shows who can breed with who. For example: a male Greninja can breed with a female Dewgong, since they share the water 1 egg group.

4 - Egg Moves

These are moves that the pokemon will not learn by leveling up. Pokemons can learn moves when bred with other pokemons, those moves can also be TM based. TM moves can only be passed down by the male parent and if the offspring is able to learn the move by the TM. Cofagrigus for exemple, can learn Psychic when bred with Ralts. This is a way to teach some TM moves to pokemons early and without having the TM itself, the only problem is that this won’t work on Reborn E16 anymore. If you want to make those breedings, you should use E12 or some Reborn Mod like Sandbox. We came across this problem on this guide, and since I don’t like to use cheats, I’ll be switching between E12 and E16.

5 - Flame Body and Magma Armor

When breeding, if you have a pokemon with this ability, the number of cycles to make an egg hatch will be reduced by half. Flame body and magma armor do not stack. Some pokemons that have this ability are: Slugma, Talonflame, Ponyta.

6 - Items

There are some items that help through the whole process and ease the final result you are looking for, they are:

º Everstone: The pokemon holding this will pass down it's nature to the offspring.

º Destiny Knot: The IV's of pokemon can be randomly generated and they can also be inherited randomly from their parents. If one of the pokemons is using a Destiny Knot, 5 random IV's from random parents WILL be inherited.

º Oval Charm: This one will increase the chance of the Day-Care finding a pokemon egg.

º Incenses: Some pokemons can only be gotten if you use a specific incense for it's breeding. For example, if you want to breed a Wynaut, you should give a Lax Incense to Wobbuffet and than proceed with the breeding.

º Bicycle: Since the eggs hatch while you walk, the faster you walk, the faster they hatch.

7 - Power items

They are: Power Weight, Power Bracer, Power Belt, Power Anklet, Power Lens, Power Band. They can be bought at the department store 4F. They are used to pass down one specific stat from one of the parents . If you give a Power Weight to one of the parents, the offspring will have the Attack stat from the parent holding it.

8 - Patience

The most important thing in every breeding, or not too much if you are lucky. : )

Now after all that summarizing, the hard part will begin! 

We will start by the egg moves. We are aiming to a Budew with Sludge Bomb, Extrasensory and Leaf Storm. Since Sludge Bomb is TM based, E12 or a Mod will be required as I said before, I used E12 here. To get those moves, we will have to breed through a breeding chain that is: Grimer>Stunfisk>Wooper>Snubbull>Roselia>Exeggute>Roselia. Note: every egg should be get IN E12, not just hatched there.

So I captured a Grimer on Byxbysion Wasteland. It should be male and know Sludge bomb. Stunfisk I captured in Apophyll Cave and it should be female. It’s better if Grimer is above level 30 because it may level up in day care and some move can overwrite Sludge Bomb. I left day care with both pokemons and went to E12, there I get this:

stunfisk_preview.png.5c944dff0900859f88af53d945abca39.png

The Stunfisk should be Male and have Sludge bomb. I leveled it up to lvl 30 so it won’t lose the Sludge Bomb. Back to day care with the new born male Stunfisk and a female Wooper, that can be captured in Azurine Island. The new born Wooper should also be male with Sludge bomb, like this:

Wooper_preview.png.2d1d1618e15e3a8aaeacff311610a65f.png

After lvl 30, I took it back with a female Snubbull (you can get through an event early in the game) to the day care and bred until this one:

snubbull_preview.png.efc42e52eb7b2b43e7e20f5523f99a89.png

Same process now, and the day care will have a male Snubbull with Sludge Bomb and a female Roselia until:

Roselia_preview.png.7ac39a7a91dada5bcd81f06755f5738b.png

Almost there. Now we need to breed that male Roselia with a female Exeggcute or Exeggutor. Exeggcute can be found in Azurine Island by headbutting trees. Remember to level up Roselia and breed until you get a male Exeggcute with Sludge bomb, then level it up to lvl 47, when it learns Extrasensory and if you evolve it, Exeggutor learns Leaf Storm at the same level:

exeggutor_preview.png.1aa941f8aa703c074fd145c7c3ab8950.png

Now the final step: Extrasensory can’t be bred on Roselia, it’s attached only to Budew, so to bred that, we’ll need a female Roselia holding a Rose Incense (it can be bought in Lapis Ward) to bred with the Exeggutor we just got. Here’s the final result of this part:

Budew_preview.png.6ef5a36108d89e084c623a0b906768f3.png

This tiny little seed will help on our goal Roserade. This one learned all the egg moves we wanted plus Solar Beam. As I’ll not be running a Sunny Day team, I’ll switch this move with Toxic Spikes (which it learns by leveling up). If you want your Roserade only with Extrasensory and Leaf Storm, you should just take the final step of this part, and you don’t need to use E12. Another good option is to breed a Roserade with ability Technician + Hidden Power (I suggest Fire) and Magical Leaf.

Now we’ll go for IVs breeding. Let’s talk about it first:

IV stands for Individual Values, they are set when the pokemon hatch from an egg or when it’s captured and can’t be changed. The values for any IV goes from 0 to 31. Every pokemon has 6 stats: HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed and they are influenced by the IVs. Take a pokemon that has 0 in HP, when it reaches lvl 100 it will have 200 HP for exemple, if the same pokemon have 31 IV in HP, it will have 231 HP at lvl 100.

The most dreamed team is to have all of the pokemons 6 IVs, but that is not always needed. Blaziken for exemple have 120 Base Attack stat so it won’t have use for any Special Attack, because of that, you don’t need 31 IVs in Special attack. You should aim for a 6 IVs pokemon when it’s going to be a mixed attacker, like a Naive Arcanine. The difference between breeding a 6 IVs and a 5 IVs is a lot of time, effort and patience so, for this reason, this Roserade, which is a Special Attacker, won’t need perfect IV in Attack.

Now, to get things started, evolve this Budew to Roselia because it can not breed in this form. For this part I'll suggest a team that could help not only now but in all breeding since they cover all egg groups. I also use them on my breedings:

Ditto (mine has IVs 31/31/12/31/31/31)

Charmander (mine has IVs 31/31/31/31/31/31) - Covers Monster and Dragon

Phantump (mine has IVs 31/31/31/31/31/31) - Covers Grass and Amorphous

Woobat (mine has IVs 31/31/31/31/31/31) - Covers Flying and Field

Spinda (mine has IVs 31/31/31/31/31/31) - Covers Field and Human Like

Remoraid (mine has IVs 31/31/31/31/31/31) - Covers Water 1 and Water 2

Skorupi (mine has IVs 31/31/31/31/31/31) - Covers Bug and Water 3

Snorunt (mine has IVs 31/31/31/31/31/31) - Covers Fairy and Mineral

As said before, Ditto can breed with every pokemon but as Roselia and Phantump shares the same egg group and Phantump has one 6 perfects IVS, I’ll be using it.

Well, here is where I got problems. All pokemons from that team (but Ditto) are male, and only the male parent can pass down the egg moves to it’s children, so I need a male Roselia with all moves, which I got. Also, I had to breed a female Roselia with IVs [31/x/31/31/31/31] because the female determines the specie of the offspring. Luckily I got a 6 IVs female one from the first breedings. Other thing is that when I gave Destiny Knot to the female Roselia and Rose incense to the male (as we want Budew), the egg moves, for some reason, didn’t get passed down, even with a Budew being born. I was left with three options: chose between TM moves or Perfect IVs or use Sandbox Mod to get both. So, as Ame will give us the Sludge Bomb TM at some point, I preferred to breed a 5IVs Timid Budew with Extrasensory and Leaf Storm. To get it, I just bred this 6IVs Roselia with one of the males Budews I get while trying to breed all moves. This is the final Budew:

5a1b613ebdd54_FinalBudew.png.a87f89b6b7eb91b53abb0bf98df66a06.png moves.png.50840f536f146f6db59dde0906691e31.png

That do it. If you get a Budew with the right IVs but wrong nature, remember that you can change the nature on 7th Street, you can also switch its ability there.

I would like to say thanks to:

@GS BALL – For giving some of the pokemons of the breeding team;

@Zarc  For providing the Ditto I have;

@FairFamily  For giving me some sense about 6IVs pokemon;

The fonts I used were:

If you find any English mistakes, anything wrong at all or any suggestions, please, quote it for me here or through PM. Also, if you want a breeding guide to any pokemon just ask, I don’t know everything about breeding but I will try my best to learn.

See ya~

- Edit - If anyone wants one of my Budew brothers, I saved some. They may not have the same IVs, but can be strong too. I have also saved some with all the egg moves + 2 IVs (one in special attack) that I could hatch.

- Edit 2 - Remember Budew? This is him now, feel old yet? :P (Just after beating Amaria)

5a8f19f1a18cd_Semttulo.png.2ade62086b73162069139ecace06a78f.png2.png.e10d72d0bef651aee94f3d9fedd21f6e.png

Edited by Trufa

• Global Mods

Nice guide, shows how much of a pain breeding an egg moves budew is! real shame that sludge bomb didn't pass on after all that extra work for it, and it's weird that it didn't...

As a sidenote, does anyone know why nobody seems to mention magical leaf for technician roserade? with 90 power, 20 pp and inability to miss, it should make for a great primary grass move.

@HUEnd Thank you. I thought abou HP, but I don't really know how it works and I really like Extrasensory for it.

@DreamblitzX Thank you too. Yeah, I spent like two weeks breeding them and always getting frustated haha. Well, I mentioned it at some point. I think Extrasensory is very strong for Roserade, but I don't know if technician would work well for it.

Edited by Trufa

• Global Mods

Extrasensory is a nice coverage move for Roserade, and I probably would've gone for it if I didn't get HP fire for mine. Technician doesn't affect it though as it's over 60 power. speaking of, I got very annoyed when I found out venoshock was 65 power...