Dev log vs multiple post

ssbCasper

Which format would you prefer?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which format would you prefer?

• Multiple daily topics
    • Dev log with all topics

Hello everyone. Its the ever controversial dev for Pokemon Empire here again. So to keep this super short, would you guys prefer me to make one or two massive dev logs that would house all my post and content, or continue making individual post for each topic. Just do the poll above and leave a comment below explaining your stance. The winning side of the poll may not be the decision I ultimately make. I know some of you really like the multiple post but it does clog up the front page and I would hate to be taking eyes off other projects that are in the works. 

Edit: The dev log is up. Idk if its possible but if a mod could remove all my other post (including the devs talks as I will be making a single thread for that as well)  from the front page I'd appreciate it, and apologies to anyone that has been shafted for lack of a better word by my frequent post. You live and you learn. 

Edited by ssbCasper

• Global Mods

Speaking as a mod, the general policy is one thread per fangame. I've actually considered merging all of your threads into one before, but some of your topics could be discussions of their own related to more than just your game specifically, so I wasn't sure if that was the correct action. 

Speaking as a member, I agree with the forum's one thread per fangame policy. I think it's cleaner that way, and I voted for having one thread with all topics for that reason.

@CynTheSylveon If the policy is one thread per game then this isn't even worth polling and I'll just make a single thread and put all prior post in their.  Like you said since some of my post aren't necessarily about my game but more general concepts I was told that I wasn't really violating any rules. I defended my initial reason for multiple post in the gym leader concept thread, the people who have been keeping up with all my updates are probably in favor of multiple post, but I don't want to be some forum villain breaking rules and what not. 

I honestly agree with the one-thread policy. I understand your reasoning, but all of these threads for your own fangame are becoming messy, and as @Commander stated it's a bit disrespectful to other people who want to post since they're drowning the other threads out.

For a single thread, if you want to mimic the multiple topics you can just create a table of contents and have the individual posts linked to it. Sure, it'll be rather messy, but it's better than having a ton of threads scattered all over the place.

EDIT: Forgot to add this, but I'm talking more about your personal fangame concepts in specific. Not your dev talks and stuff, since those are more like free-form discussions about fangames in general.

Edited by Nyarth

I mostly agree with Nyarth, I think you should put all the ideas and concepts directly related to your games as updates on a single thread, but your general game concepts should be separate threads. I agree that all the posts are clogging up the forums a lot, but I can't say much since I have quite a few threads up right now too... Anyways, I don't personally care about having a lot of separate threads, but if you are always posting new threads, other people who don't want their game drowned out will start posting more and it could get pretty chaotic. 

@Nyarth @Matt_ I could also just make a thread called "Dev talks" and put all of those in there to further decrease the amount of threads. I'm already working on putting all game related stuff into one thread but I'll keep this up for the time being so other people can chime in. 

I prefer a single well organized thread. I mean, I tried to post to some of your threads and then I realized that I had to find another topic in order to get what you are asking in the last one. I mean, if you had a single thread presenting all of the ideas you have thought up till now and constantly updating it, it would be easier for the readers to help you or post their opinions. You can make it somewhat like this.

Name of the Game: ...

Idea 1: ...

Idea 2: ...

Idea 853: ...

In each part you can write a few things (describing the idea and asking for the peoples' opinion) and ask the readers to post their replies like this:

Name of the Game: What do they like, what do they not like, suggestion or approval of your idea

Idea 1: same

Idea 2: Same

This way a merged thread would be organized and easy for the readers to see what your progress

By constantly updating, everyone who is interested in your progress would have an easy time learning how the game progresses.

Try to make each idea a separate matter or if some ideas are connected you should inform in advance the reader that he/she has to look at a previous idea in order to understand the concept and then reply!

I would recommend to make all your ideas spoilers in order to let the readers decide to open whichever of your ideas is more appealing to them and allow them to reply to it. If they are not in spoilers then many of the readers will be discouraged to read the thread and thus you will not have enough feedback.

Well this is just a suggestion of mine that I believe would work well if you decided in the end to make a single thread for your game! With hard work and cooperation of the readers, I believe this could work quite efficiently. As I said at first, I am in favor of a single thread for your game and I hope that you consider actually making it!

I am a little conflicted about this... To tell you the truth, I really felt that by posting so many threads recently, you got the spotlight from other games. I think that some people tried to bring up their topics but they were immediately returned to the bottom of the first page of the forum.

But a lot of things you were posting weren't solely to advertise your game. You posted some helpful threads (the dev talks) and tried to make the people in the forum to work together, giving them freedom to have a sort of impact to your game. Other threads were about problems many game developers may have and others about asking help in certain things in a game. People may want to see such threads even if they don't know about your game.

So, I believe you should merge some things together. The threads that they introduce your game, the evil team and the gym leaders can go to a singly thread. All the dev talks into another. As far as everything else... I believe they are ok as they are right now.

All in all, I enjoyed following your posts and keeping up with your ideas and way of thought. But to be fair to others, you should reduce the number of different topics.

Since you started posting, this forum has actually come back to life and more and more people are trying to voice their opinion and give their ideas. We have to thank you for that :)

Continue your regular posting, but limit the number of threads. I think this would be great for everyone.

What happened last night?

(Sees random ping)

Oh yeah, I remember now. Probably a little grouchy (I get like that when I do 18 hours of work straight). Anyways, I see this has been cleared up so let me at least address the differences of WHEN you can post outside your fan-game thread:

The focus of a fan-game thread is for official information and to update it as you like. The OP likely will change over time as you progress more from images to announcements (I'll admit I'm horrible at updating mine for my mod but alas I still do it). Anything that does not fit this could be put into a post so I'll go into individual types of threads that currently popped up:

Help Threads: I actually encourage these to be separate so that if someone else is having trouble they can find a solution instead of having to dig around and ask people (if not make a post anyways). I would caution from posting content that consists of heavy spoilers since well it is fun to surprise the audience (those should be done more privately with a group of people you trust more).

Article Threads: Some people want to make articles regarding stuff (I mean I do it) so of course there's a justified reason to separate it from the game. If it's just a blog regarding your game, it's really debatable where it goes since on one hand it's for your game, but on the other it could be designed to be educational regarding the developer side of things. For me personally, a very short articles is 2,000-3,000 words. I choose to make mine separate because it'd be an utter mess trying to read them all in a single thread. Short ones (<1000 words) can easily be compiled together.