26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you be leave in god?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • I don't know
    • I don't care at all
    • No i be leave in more then one god

Well like the title says it is you're job to tell me what you think about this age old thing

If you as me i don't think god is real but whatever that's just what i think i could be wrong i don't know but i'm gonna stop this crag and let you guys do the rest.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the whole athiesm online thing is just an elitist thing.

I personally couldn't give a shit about a stupid argument. Does believing in God or not affect me in any way at all? No.

But to each their own. I am Protestant though. But I don't give a shit.

Edited by TheNewEnigma

• Administrators

Not sure who disapproved this topic, but this is an adequate topic for discussion, and we're probably mature enough as a community to handle it, so leaving it open. If it turns racey, then it should be closed, but I think we can do this.

And Stocking, that was cold. :/

I am religious, but not hard core about it... but i do know my stuff... and often better then "good Christens" who attend mass weekly... the big thing that kinda makes me a bad christen is i don't attend weekly mass...

1. i am lazy

2. i don't have the time or make the time

3. i hate the idea of making the whole attending mass thing like a chore... it just feels wrong that i think of it that way... i believe in god and all, but the only commandment i really break is the 3rd one :/

• Administrators

To answer the topic, I believe in belief- namely that the more global belief something has behind it, the 'more real' it thereby becomes.

By association therefore, I believe in every deity that has ever been believed in before. However, I do not subscribe in practice to any of them.

I'm an existential nihilist. I believe that the human race as a whole has no intrinsic value or meaning, and in the grand scheme of things-- the human race hasn't and will not ever dent or even scratch the totality of the universe or any of it's human-perceived secrets. I believe religion is humans trying to bring reason/purpose to their existence, and that it also holds no intrinsic value.

Frankly I'm disappointing that in a place with so many things to talk about you decided it would be a great idea to jump on something so controversial and... random... for no particular reason.

If I had my way we'd just leave it at letting everybody do their own thing on the topic instead of prodding them to lay something so personal to some people out in the open. In many Nordic countries it's considered very rude to talk about religion-- because it's considered something very personal and to talk about it with strangers is comparable to sharing your sex life with them.

I'm agnostic, so I believe that, as mere people, we can never be 100% sure on whether God/gods or any other divine aspects can really exist or not. I honestly like the idea of a God existing though. I just have no way to ever prove they'd be real.

I'm an atheist well, technically an agnostic, de facto atheist because technically it is impossible to disprove the existence of god. But I'm %100 convinced god doesn't exist so it's faster, easier to say atheist

Well, aside from agreeing with Hark's view that religion is man's attempt to give his life and existence purpose, I also view it as a means of controlling the masses. It is and has been used as a tool to forge conformity- a unity of belief for the masses. Morals and ethics do exist without religion to proffer a reward or punishment for those who do/do not adhere to the relition's rules. It is also a nice psychological security blanket that lets people delude themselves into believing that have control over things they do not. Humans have prayed to god for rain, money, power, health... everthing anyone has ever desired. It gives people comfort to believe that silly rituals will actually grant them their desires. As George Carlin said, what is god's ultimate plan worth if any shmuck with a 2 dollar prayer book can mess up his plans?

Wolf- heh, it's ok Wolf. Forced spirituality based on tradition/habit/command I think would be worth less spiritually than that which was willingly undertaken. There is that fine theological line between doing shit just to prove how much or that you DO believe to yourself/ other people and doing things simply BECAUSE you believe.

Even if there was a god (and it depends on how you define it), I wouldn't believe it worth worshipping or as completely benevolent, nor use it as my moral compass.

Hark- I don't know if any of those Nords frequent this place, nor do I know a reason for them to ignore/ not read in this topic based on the title.

I think that the whole athiesm online thing is just an elitist thing.

I personally couldn't give a shit about a stupid argument. Does believing in God or not affect me in any way at all? No.

But to each their own. I am Protestant though. But I don't give a shit.

Oh sure, there is often an elitest tone to things Atheist write/speak. There are a lot of things to religion that we see and frown upon. But that doesn't necessarily make it less valid and really, the same is true of theists (especially those hellfire preachers).

I'm curious- How do you rationalize being Protestant but not giving a shit? If you don't give a shit, then might as well not believe at all.

Oh sure, there is often an elitest tone to things Atheist write/speak. There are a lot of things to religion that we see and frown upon. But that doesn't necessarily make it less valid and really, the same is true of theists (especially those hellfire preachers).

I'm curious- How do you rationalize being Protestant but not giving a shit? If you don't give a shit, then might as well not believe at all.

Shit, I dun goofd. What I meant to say was my familys protestant.

Now, I know two things about what I'm going to say next; I screw this up too and it's not adding to discussion. But these typoes make me laugh XD.

As for a serious answer...I just say that I try to get along with everyone and leave it at that. I don't view people based on it and don't want people viewing me based on it at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I like thinking that there is indeed something beyond our current lives, It keeps me away from depressive thoughts of non-existance after death.... I don't wanna cease to exist..

Living forever is kinda scary to me. I try to live the life that i have to the fullest. i can see why people fear death but living for more than 10000000000000000000000000000000000 years is scarier since you would have already achieved everything that you could possible could have and you would just start to be bored. "you were dead before you were born and yet you did not feel any pain". personally am an agnostic and i am not really sure if a god does exist or not but i do know for a fact that he does not interact at all in our lives one bit. hopefully that answers your question.

Edited by Kamina

Although, however, thinking about what happens after death does pique my curiosity.

I would venture that the particles and energies that you were comprised of will break down and be released back into the world, building blocks for something else.

I would venture that the particles and energies that you were comprised of will break down and be released back into the world, building blocks for something else.

I admit, you got me thinking.

EDIT: Now I'm looking up pusedoscience for a counter argument.

Edited by Summer