Something Awful LP of Pokemon Reborn

Alilatias

7 minutes ago, Hycrox said:

Hell, wynaut a fucken lvl 100 Arceus with all the plates right from the beginning?

Also are those guys just strongly against all fanmade gen 3 sprites for some reason? Seems so

Speaking of Arceus, I cant wait to see their reaction when they have to fight Ditto-ceus and Solaris' Garchomp lol. Makes me want to see their LP just to see their salty reaction XD

1 hour ago, ProjectIceman said:

Speaking of Arceus, I cant wait to see their reaction when they have to fight Ditto-ceus and Solaris' Garchomp lol. Makes me want to see their LP just to see their salty reaction XD

They'll probably just hack in something to deal with it like they'll doing with Rare Candies so they don't have to grind.

1 hour ago, Jess said:

Nah, Gibles are too weak, and evolve too late in game. A Landorus-T would be their optimal choice.

I'm just laughing at the fact that they're complaining about the possibility of Blitzle not having 2 of the 3 abilities that make it immune to electric and the possibility of getting a Zigzagoon rather than Pachirisu while complaining about not having access to Mud Sport. Its not like you get handed an Ability Capsule you could use on Blitzle if you don't feel like resetting until it has what you want and you can raise Zigzagoon over the level cap to get Mud Sport before lowering it if you really want to use it in the gym.

7 minutes ago, Ntfth said:

They'll probably just hack in something to deal with it like they'll doing with Rare Candies so they don't have to grind.

I'm just laughing at the fact that they're complaining about the possibility of Blitzle not having 2 of the 3 abilities that make it immune to electric and the possibility of getting a Zigzagoon rather than Pachirisu while complaining about not having access to Mud Sport. Its not like you get handed an Ability Capsule you could use on Blitzle if you don't feel like resetting until it has what you want and you can raise Zigzagoon over the level cap to get Mud Sport before lowering it if you really want to use it in the gym.

1 hour ago, ProjectIceman said:

I seriously wonder though, who criticizes a game THAT harsh, claims to hate it, finds it awful, but soft resets for like a week to get shinies in all the pokemon he uses? He has shiny Meowth, Goldeen, Espurr (also Male with Own Tempo as he says, to get Prankster), Blitzle, Snivy, Pachirisu, and god knows who else I am forgetting. They are seriously pathetic...

20 hours ago, Jess said:

And deliberately going out of the way to make it impossible for you to have a ground type unless you traded one in from online or picked Mudkip and evolved it until after you've beaten the first (electric-type) gym is nothing but absurdity.

Spr_4d_413G.png¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(And yes I've used it. Beat Julia with this and a Grotle in my Ground mono. Used Worm-T in my Steel run.)

Just now, ZEL said:

Spr_4d_413G.png¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(And yes I've used it. Beat Julia with this and a Grotle in my Ground mono. Used Worm-T in my Steel run.)

Wormadam is solid early-mid game and can find occasional uses throughout Reborn. But not being an UBER, or at least OU, makes it impossible to use for whiners people in SomethingAwful.

Only bad thing with Wormadam-Ground (I blame GameFreak) is that only Ground move it learns is Fissure, which isn't really a move, let's be honest.

3 minutes ago, Jess said:

Only bad thing with Wormadam-Ground (I blame GameFreak) is that only Ground move it learns is Fissure, which isn't really a move, let's be honest.

I think I've always used Worm til around Corey, and then I'd usually have enough other choices to pick from. Might've used one 'til Shelly, but it's definitely an early game 'mon, yeah. Which I think is perfectly okay, it does its job there.

It learns Hidden Power via level-up, so you could get one with HP Ground if you wished. (Even if admittedly, Worm-S' SpA is nothing to write home about.) Julia's 'mons are easy enough to knock out, though. STAB Bug Bite ain't that bad.

The main advantage of having a ground type against her is immunity.

To be, it seems like these people are just bashing for the sake of bashing. That's all. They entered the game with a negative view and they try their best to make everything fit in their negativity. Even when something seems positive, they only highlight the negative parts of it.

And they aren't playing the game the way it should be played. I mean, they are complaining about some 50 battles with trainers who all have 3 mons at maximum. I think the purpose of that is having a lot of opportunities to train your mons. They, however, simply decide to use a shit-ton of rare candies so they don't have to grind...

Hmm? what in the world happened, what did they expect? to be handed free Ubers and OU mons right from the start, please what a bunch of loosers

i'l continue to watch their whiny Lps though, lets see how they handle the pressure.

EDIT: did they really say rejuvenation is bad, TFW with these people i dare them to even try making a game thats 'better' than reborn or rejuvenation

EDIT 2: they didn't even play the game and are already critisizing it.

you know what i'm giong to stop caring what people say its their loss not mine

Edited by Another Retired Shipper

On 6/13/2017 at 1:19 AM, Alilatias said:

If there's one thing that's REALLY rubbing me the wrong way with the LP, it's that they've already convinced themselves that the writing is on the same tier as My Immortal. And everyone knows how bad that is.

The gameplay criticisms are at least somewhat valid in comparison. But the above is really overblown exaggeration.

This. While the LP was fun in a rather ironic way(mainly the expectation of the LP'er to whine about something else unessesary.), I can't stand on how they treated the story like a goddamn worst fanfiction of the planet.
Sure, Reborn's story has flaws(I can start ranting about the Strength arc if I want to), but treating Reborn to be as shitty My Immortal is like comparing a telling people that a narratively 'meh' movie like any of the Transformers trilogy is as horrible as Birdemic can get. I agree with Alilatias about how exaggerated that comparison is.

Edited by Revolver

Bashing the game for the sake of bashing isn't great, but the opposite could be said on this side of the grass.

Reborn being dark and "original" does not improve the underlying narrative. Most of Pokemon's darkness is fridge horror from certain Pokedex entries, and trying to reflect that into a story is what causes that weird fanfiction effect. The moment a character dies in a Pokemon fangame and that death isn't a Disney movie villain death, that's when you're forever trapped in the fanfiction pit. The fanfiction pit isn't a bad place though, so stop typing that complaint.

If there's one thing I disagree with in the LP, it's the LPer's statement that Rejuvenation is much worse and edgier. Having played Rejuvenation up to seven badges, I feel this is false.  Lordy I hope Rejuvenation doesn't get bad

Not to compare toys, but Rejuvenation feels consistent in tone, and no single event (up to where I've played) skyrockets it into grimdark territory or drops it into melodrama. It's still got this weird fanfiction feel, but it feels like decent fanfiction. When I played Rejuvenation, I didn't mind any of the cast, and thus far, none of the story has irked me. The worst thing about Rejuvenation is certain game-breaking bugs, but I can stomach those because I know they'll get fixed eventually. It's harder to fix a narrative.

Also, small nitpick. Spoilers for a late-game Reborn scene.

Spoiler

There's no reason a character should have to explain gender neutrality in response to a single character's introduction. I'm sure the creator intent is good-willed, but it comes across as preachy and disingenuous to have an info dump on gender politics during a spelunking session into ancient ruins to fight an evil cultist.

Let's say you're watching a movie where the crew are spelunking into some ruins. A gender neutral character appears. At this point, another character turns towards the camera (and thus the audience) and begins to give a brief explanation of gender neutrality, and how to treat a gender neutral person with respect.

That would be immersion annihilating.

If Ame really wanted an explanation in there (though I'm not sure why they would) then they could put it in a book instead of trying to educate Cain (but actually the audience) on the topic. Radomus abruptly hopping on the soapbox slammed my immersion, and immersion is vital if you want people to take your story seriously, like I had been doing up to that point.

The above is just my opinion though, don't let it take away from my next gripe.

Aside from malicious but fun ribbing, the LP brings up pokemon availability. Reborn (in most cases) segments off pokemon in order of usefulness, leaving the early game with the most boring mons I can think of. Rattata, Poochyena, Bidoof, and heck, trash pokemon that will not see use (like Cherubi) outside of specialty runs or people who really like that mon.

I would know, I've played through Reborn's first five hours around six times. Seven if you count my current run, in which I've gathered a squad of boring Normal-type roadkill. It was more fun on paper than in practice.

To give an example, Cherubi is absolute garbage of the ninth circle, and its evolution is gated behind the first badge unless you're willing to fight the game's (in my opinon poorly implemented) anti-grind features. Work through the five levels before evolution and you're rewarded with better Grass pokemon sitting around in the park after beating Pulse Tangrowth.

Between starting the game and beating Pulse Tangrowth, there is nothing that would suffer from the player having a Grass pokemon. Why lock trashmon Hoppip behind weather? Just put it on the roof garden for variety's sake.

The biggest aspect of Reborn's availability issue isn't that super OU mons aren't available out the gate, it's the terrible pacing and placement of certain pokemon. It doesn't help that the only pre-Julia mon that gets Headbutt, which broadens diversity just a smidgen, is a random event that you can totally miss. You could easily slot Combee and Pineco into the roof garden, but hey, I'm really shilling for that roof garden.

Again, these are my thoughts, and my knowledge of Pokemon goes as far as knowing most Pokemon by name. My experience in competitive play is zilch.

2 hours ago, wildebeast said:

Bashing the game for the sake of bashing isn't great, but the opposite could be said on this side of the grass.

Reborn being dark and "original" does not improve the underlying narrative. Most of Pokemon's darkness is fridge horror from certain Pokedex entries, and trying to reflect that into a story is what causes that weird fanfiction effect. The moment a character dies in a Pokemon fangame and that death isn't a Disney movie villain death, that's when you're forever trapped in the fanfiction pit. The fanfiction pit isn't a bad place though, so stop typing that complaint.

If there's one thing I disagree with in the LP, it's the LPer's statement that Rejuvenation is much worse and edgier. Having played Rejuvenation up to seven badges, I feel this is false.  Lordy I hope Rejuvenation doesn't get bad

Not to compare toys, but Rejuvenation feels consistent in tone, and no single event (up to where I've played) skyrockets it into grimdark territory or drops it into melodrama. It's still got this weird fanfiction feel, but it feels like decent fanfiction. When I played Rejuvenation, I didn't mind any of the cast, and thus far, none of the story has irked me. The worst thing about Rejuvenation is certain game-breaking bugs, but I can stomach those because I know they'll get fixed eventually. It's harder to fix a narrative.

Also, small nitpick. Spoilers for a late-game Reborn scene.

Reveal hidden contents

There's no reason a character should have to explain gender neutrality in response to a single character's introduction. I'm sure the creator intent is good-willed, but it comes across as preachy and disingenuous to have an info dump on gender politics during a spelunking session into ancient ruins to fight an evil cultist.

Let's say you're watching a movie where the crew are spelunking into some ruins. A gender neutral character appears. At this point, another character turns towards the camera (and thus the audience) and begins to give a brief explanation of gender neutrality, and how to treat a gender neutral person with respect.

That would be immersion annihilating.

If Ame really wanted an explanation in there (though I'm not sure why they would) then they could put it in a book instead of trying to educate Cain (but actually the audience) on the topic. Radomus abruptly hopping on the soapbox slammed my immersion, and immersion is vital if you want people to take your story seriously, like I had been doing up to that point.

The above is just my opinion though, don't let it take away from my next gripe.

Aside from malicious but fun ribbing, the LP brings up pokemon availability. Reborn (in most cases) segments off pokemon in order of usefulness, leaving the early game with the most boring mons I can think of. Rattata, Poochyena, Bidoof, and heck, trash pokemon that will not see use (like Cherubi) outside of specialty runs or people who really like that mon.

I would know, I've played through Reborn's first five hours around six times. Seven if you count my current run, in which I've gathered a squad of boring Normal-type roadkill. It was more fun on paper than in practice.

To give an example, Cherubi is absolute garbage of the ninth circle, and its evolution is gated behind the first badge unless you're willing to fight the game's (in my opinon poorly implemented) anti-grind features. Work through the five levels before evolution and you're rewarded with better Grass pokemon sitting around in the park after beating Pulse Tangrowth.

Between starting the game and beating Pulse Tangrowth, there is nothing that would suffer from the player having a Grass pokemon. Why lock trashmon Hoppip behind weather? Just put it on the roof garden for variety's sake.

The biggest aspect of Reborn's availability issue isn't that super OU mons aren't available out the gate, it's the terrible pacing and placement of certain pokemon. It doesn't help that the only pre-Julia mon that gets Headbutt, which broadens diversity just a smidgen, is a random event that you can totally miss. You could easily slot Combee and Pineco into the roof garden, but hey, I'm really shilling for that roof garden.

Again, these are my thoughts, and my knowledge of Pokemon goes as far as knowing most Pokemon by name. My experience in competitive play is zilch.

Jumpluff is actually a well-known way to cheese fights, spamming prankster status moves and whatnot. Also, doesn't Bidoof get headbutt at level 13? Or is level 13 considered post-Julia

1 hour ago, MechsftwStan said:

Jumpluff is actually a well-known way to cheese fights, spamming prankster status moves and whatnot. Also, doesn't Bidoof get headbutt at level 13? Or is level 13 considered post-Julia

Bidoof does get Headbutt pre-Julia, so I'll take that knock. My mistake. Jumpluff gets Infiltrator (not Prankster) though, which is noticeably less useful to its kit.

Edited by wildebeast

If you literally just started Rejuvenation with its most recent patch, know that Rejuvenation was basically completely overhauled during the past year. The overworld and the plot/writing got a massive facelift. The writing especially was utterly cringe-worthy, until the latest release essentially told me that Rejuvenation's writer(s) realized that grimdark edginess does not make for good character development or world building, and completely redid the script. Seriously, I was actually impressed with how much the writing improved in Rejuvenation's latest release. But then again, Jan is probably the only Pokemon fangame developer willing to overhaul huge swaths of his own game, even if it means losing a lot of earlier work, in order to ensure a more consistent and enjoyable gameplay flow throughout (the entire Gearen City/Sheridan Village phase got overhauled TWICE already, and everything pre-Episode 7 got completely redone at least once).

I imagine most of the people in the SA LP played earlier versions of Rejuvenation, and they're going to end up with a big shock once that LP actually begins. It's now my favorite fangame among the 'Field Trio', when a year ago, my ranking was Desolation > Reborn > Rejuvenation.

(Also, Jumpluff is pretty good as a strategic status abuser, both in Reborn and Rejuvenation. Less so in Reborn though, because the first few gyms happen to feature Grass resistance. In Rejuvenation, Jumpluff happened to be so broken during the game's early history that... After I and someone else talked about the merits of Jumpluff completely outclassing every other early game grass type INCLUDING grass starters, Jan went and axed/moved the Hoppip line from being available before the first gym to halfway through the game.)

Edited by Alilatias

I did play Rejuvenation with its most recent patch, and from what you say, it's a good thing I took so long. I actually went into Rejuvenation expecting another dark for the sake of darkness fangame, and was pleasantly surprised to find a fun cast and an interesting plot. Who the heck were the Garufa? What's the deal with shadow Pokemon? I'm really excited to find out! The sprites aren't always as pretty as Reborn's, but the overall map design feels much better. It captures the grimy city feeling that Reborn has without overstaying its welcome.

Definitely looking forward to their LP of Rejuvenation. I think they'll get some fun out of it, even if they don't admit it. For their Reborn LP, I just hope they can see some of the good in its design. Aside from certain design aspects that I personally don't agree with, it's a very fun and ambitious game.

4 hours ago, wildebeast said:

I did play Rejuvenation with its most recent patch, and from what you say, it's a good thing I took so long. I actually went into Rejuvenation expecting another dark for the sake of darkness fangame, and was pleasantly surprised to find a fun cast and an interesting plot. Who the heck were the Garufa? What's the deal with shadow Pokemon? I'm really excited to find out! The sprites aren't always as pretty as Reborn's, but the overall map design feels much better. It captures the grimy city feeling that Reborn has without overstaying its welcome.

Definitely looking forward to their LP of Rejuvenation. I think they'll get some fun out of it, even if they don't admit it. For their Reborn LP, I just hope they can see some of the good in its design. Aside from certain design aspects that I personally don't agree with, it's a very fun and ambitious game.

Oh man, the map design. Terajuma Island in particular... In the earlier days of the game, the forest was split into like 4 areas, a good chunk of it being surf tiles, and the total landmass was about 4-5x what it is in Rejuvenation now. It was pretty much a giant maze, especially concerning the Roggenrola sidequest where you aren't allowed to escort it via surf or through tall grass. You also used to be forced to fight Vileplume blocking narrow pathways to progress or gain access to some treasure, and to do that, you would have to go out of the way to find a nearby spice bag to awaken them. IIRC all of the Vileplume would respawn upon leaving and re-entering, too. Oh, and the Ranger warp system didn't exist back then either.

Cartotos Mountain and the Sheridan Wetlands also used to be a lot more maze-like. Cartotos used to have an entire floor dedicated to rock-hopping lava pool mazes, and the wetlands used to be more like a random trash dump ledge maze rather than looking like actual wetlands. Pretty much all of the changes I've observed since then tell me of a philosophy to eliminate as much meaningless padding as possible, and the game's improved in huge strides because of it.

Edited by Alilatias