Pulse Garbodor and Pulse Camerupt - Why?

HUEnd

I was wondering if we will ever battle these, because there are the entries, including stats, purposes, ability and everything...I couldn't stop thinking about that so I had to ask the opinion of you about that =3

Edited by HUEnd

• Global Mods

We can battle PULSE Garbodor. It's in a sidequest and its name is Mr. Bigglesworth. PULSE Camerupt has been destroyed and I don't see a reason it would be used again outside of maybe a sidequest, since Apophyll seems to be done with for the main story.

I'd doubt we'll ever get to battle PULSE forms of Garbodor (as in, with an actual, mutated sprite) or Camerupt.
The 'mon we meet, Biggles, is the reason for the existence of the entry, and wasn't a planned PULSE - much like Avalugg it just happened to find a machine by accident. Meteor didn't create PULSE Garbodor, not even sure if they're really aware it's a thing that existed.

"Function" in their cases refers to the effect PULSE has on them, and doesn't imply intentional creation.

And I don't see us fighting Camerupt unless Team Meteor decides they need to use this PULSE type for anything again.

2 minutes ago, Animefan666 said:

Yeah, Mr. Bigglesworth didn't look any different than a normal Garbodor...

This. I haven't noticed if Mr. Bigglesworth had the ability mentioned on the Dex (I probably nailed him using an special attacker), unfortunately.

IIRC Biggles only got put in as a side fight in the first place because Ice kept annoying Ame about wanting a Garbodor named Mr. Bigglesworth, so eventually she gave in to his demands.

Unless Ame decided to run with it any further, Biggles should not have any story significance.

I do remember Ice telling me that his personal idea for a backstory to Biggles was that it belonged to a trainer living in the Wasteland, who apparently had a hoarding compulsion. Eventually she got taken into the care of her relatives and Garbodor was left behind, accidentally stumbling over the abandoned PULSE (as we know, things just randomly tend to end up in the wasteland). The reason it's capable of talking was due to having learned from its trainer.

...But then again, that's more of a "creator's headcanon" because there was never any plan to incorporate this into the game, so canonically we know next to nothing about Biggles.

1 hour ago, ZEL said:

I'd doubt we'll ever get to battle PULSE forms of Garbodor (as in, with an actual, mutated sprite) or Camerupt.
The 'mon we meet, Biggles, is the reason for the existence of the entry, and wasn't a planned PULSE - much like Avalugg it just happened to find a machine by accident. Meteor didn't create PULSE Garbodor, not even sure if they're really aware it's a thing that existed.

"Function" in their cases refers to the effect PULSE has on them, and doesn't imply intentional creation.

And I don't see us fighting Camerupt unless Team Meteor decides they need to use this PULSE type for anything again.

Um, I'm pretty sure that the PULSE Avalugg was something that Team Meteor planned to do. Since Blake mentioned that he was ordered to hide the food from Ametrine in order to starve the citizens. So I don't believe the Avalugg accidentally found the machine... Unless I'm missing something?

8 minutes ago, Farnsworth said:

Um, I'm pretty sure that the PULSE Avalugg was something that Team Meteor planned to do. Since Blake mentioned that he was ordered to hide the food from Ametrine in order to starve the citizens. So I don't believe the Avalugg accidentally found the machine... Unless I'm missing something?

The Dex entry describes it as a formerly wild pokemon, and it's remarked upon in the game that the PULSE was in a really weird location. Shelly points out in quite a bit of dialogue that she thinks it's strange to have the machine out in the open instead of blocking off choke points of the mountain.

J6kQqn2m.pngnPHJZ89m.png

shamelessly stealing the screenshots from DerogatoryTrainer's nuzlocke bc I can't find my own rn

But maybe I misinterpreted that? There's also the part where the PULSE is mentioned to be malfunctioning, so whatever its purpose was, it would appear it was no longer fulfilling it the way it was meant to be.

QjqNQcM.png

Edited by ZEL
wow those were just as many typos as you'd expect from a post at 5am

• Global Mods

If it weren't for the detail of the machine malfunctioning, I would've maybe thought Team Meteor was hoping a wild Pokemon would come along and find it to block off Ametrine. Which is a silly thing to imagine when they've always found a specific Pokemon themselves to use for the PULSEs XD

18 minutes ago, ZEL said:

The Dex entry describes it as a formerly wild pokemon, and it's remarked upon in the game that the PULSE was in a really weird location. Shelly points out in quite a bit of dialogue that she thinks it's strange to have the machine out in the open instead of blocking off choke points of the mountain.

J6kQqn2m.pngnPHJZ89m.png

shamelessly stealing the screenshots from DerogatoryTrainer's nuzlocke bc I can't find my own rn

But maybe I misinterpreted that? There's also the part where the PULSE is mentioned to be malfunctioning, so whatever its purpose was, it would appear it was no longer fulfilling it the way it was meant to be.

QjqNQcM.png

Just because the pokemon was formally a wild one doesn't mean that Team Meteor wasn't involved. To me this seems more like something that Lin would do in order to send the heroes into a wild goose chase just so she can laugh at them. Starving Ametrine doesn't really serve any purpose whatsoever, so there is no reason for this PULSE to exist.

Another theory is that they were testing out the PULSE machine for the first time (after Magnezone) with a wild Bergmite they happened to find in the mountain, and that's why it malfunctioned. And it just so happened to block the way to Ametrine and so Lin, being the sociopath she is, wanted to make the citizens suffer so she ordered Blake to hide the food.

Edited by Farnsworth

28 minutes ago, DerogatoryTrainer said:

Anyone else find it weird how Cal was able to destroy PULSE Camerupt in one hit despite it resisting every move his Pokemon had?

No and yes.

On one hand, it was literally designed to erupt as violently as possible, so it'd make sense that it'd, yknow, be unstable. It's not like it should have been hard to destroy, considering its very purpose is geared towards killing it.

Except... its stats don't match up with that at all, instead giving it a lot of HP and formidable defenses.

Spoiler

rPTj0nL.png

I honestly don't know what to make of this stat distribution on a Pokémon that was supposed to blow up. I guess the HP could be explained to represent that it's all uh... charged? For a lack of better terms?

21 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

If it weren't for the detail of the machine malfunctioning, I would've maybe thought Team Meteor was hoping a wild Pokemon would come along and find it to block off Ametrine. Which is a silly thing to imagine when they've always found a specific Pokemon themselves to use for the PULSEs XD

When I first played the game and encountered Avalugg, I did think it was purposely placed like that, and maybe the machine just malfunctioned due to conditions.

But Shelly's dialogue made me question it, because there would be no reason to make her say any of what she did if Avalugg was actally meant to be like this.

The Dex entry then also mentioned that the 'mon evolved into Avalugg through the machine - which is weird because we only know of one 'mon that did this previously: Magnezone. So this PULSE must be an older one (it's 02!), as we've seen later on that Abra can be PULSE'd up just fine without evolving.
I feel more like it was left behind and a Bergmite happened to find it.

Again, while it seemingly makes sense for Meteor to use this PULSE to block Ametrine, Shelly's dialogue questioning this would be pointless if there was no truth to it.

16 minutes ago, Farnsworth said:

Starving Ametrine doesn't really serve any purpose whatsoever, so there is no reason for this PULSE to exist.

Another theory is that they were testing out the PULSE machine for the first time (after Magnezone) with a wild Bergmite they happened to find in the mountain, and that's why it malfunctioned. And it just so happened to block the way to Ametrine and so Lin, being the sociopath she is, wanted to make the citizens suffer so she ordered Blake to hide the food.

Ohey, funny that you brought that up at the same time as I was typing the above. Seems like we're sorta having the same thought there.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that Meteor did use the PULSE for its own convenience, but the Dex entry and Shelly's dialogue do make me doubt that it was really intended to exist this way originally.

Edited by ZEL

PULSE Avalugg was not something planned by Team Meteor, I guess they were just testing it on a opening at Ametrine Cave and a Bergmite just walked in and that happened, and they were probably just too scared to handle it or maybe they just wanted to see what would happen...

Off-topic question: When E17 Discussion Thread will be released (if that's even going to happen)? I'd love to see other's speculations about...everything? :D