Commander's Ask Me Anything Thread

Commander

I was going to call it CAMAnder, but that looked too weird. And I also immediately regret making this threads. I planned on making one of these a long time ago since I never felt like making an About me page. So ask away if you want.

Might as well.

What are your favorite genres of books?

What inspired you to write?
How would you describe your writing style and what type of styles do you like in particular?

Why would you succumb to doing an AMA?

What made you want to create hardcore? What's the story behind it?

How did you find out about Reborn?

Got any hobbies? What do you do in your free time?

Favorite food?

If you could live anywhere, where would you want to live? 

If you could go anywhere, where would you want to go?

12 hours ago, Magus said:

Why do they call you "Commander" are you an O-5? 

-Ah yes why I picked this nickname. It's actually a name of a character I created when I was 8. I had a hard time remembering character names and especially naming characters. I asked myself "What's so special about a name like Chris?" So I named characters the first thing that came to my head and based them around that. My creativity was only blossoming so the names were rather silly excluding a few though I kept a few (Such as Oblivion since the character pretty much wears his sins on his sleeve). Commander was a strange one as it was a character who grew into being a leader. Definitely one thing I always thought was that of all names Commander was the strangest one I thought of and poked fun of even. When it was time to decide my internet persona name, I ended up picking his name to represent me since well I really liked the character. So yeah, my name is quite literally Commander, not the Commander or a Commander.

12 hours ago, GalacticMarshmallow said:

Always been curious, who's the guy in your profile pic?

Setzer Gabbiani from FFVI. I generally tried to find pics depicting him as less scarred than what official art depicts of him.

12 hours ago, Noir said:

Might as well.

What are your favorite genres of books?

What inspired you to write?
How would you describe your writing style and what type of styles do you like in particular?

-I'd say fantasy with a little mix of Sci-fi. I like fantasy, but tend to like some logic being applied and not just only nonsense that is there merely because it can be. I skew more towards fantasy though as I generally dislike the general format of Sci-fi.

-What inspired me to write. I'll start off when I first was exposed to writing. I hated it. I hated every little bit of having to write something simply because someone told me I had to do it. I had to think of what they wanted me to say and be graded on that. English writing standards are still far, far from my forte and I rarely ever get an A on anything I write except for one category. Sometimes teachers ask for you to create your own story on some short criteria. I generally ended up getting As on those or even perfects. I had been generating ideas up for a world for 6 years now and finally decided maybe I should write them down and managed to create a very short novel. I really enjoyed that so much I ended up taking writing as a hobby. Shame I don't have the time like I used to with all the stuff I do. I do write some stuff from time to time (I will get that one idea down on paper before I die is a life goal of mine).

-Rusty as hell My strongsuit would definitely be characters, first person, and dialogue, while my biggest fault is my lack for details to flesh the world I've created. I definitely feel like I'm a more straightforward writer as I don't like to prose too often letting readers fill in the canvas with anything I leave out. I suppose that's better than saying I'm a fantasy writer.

For what styles I like, it's hard to say as I tend to read anything that is not horror. I don't care for horror and especially gorey images (*shudders*). I used to really dislike Romance, but I think it's merely okay now and look at it for ideas to improve my own style of writing. Then there's the R rated stuff, but we do not talk about that. And believe me if you feel like you're a terrible writer, I probably could link a story or two to make you feel better about yourself (and also the complete opposite with amazing ones).

12 hours ago, HYCROX said:

Why are you a gambler that rambles?

Gambler is based on my playstyle as often I tend to try and predict people's movesets and often run risky strategies with moves that don't have 100% accuracy. As for the rambling, it's kind of a joke on how my posts are often twice as long as the average user. I'm also a master of the art of off-top.

11 hours ago, DreamblitzX said:

Why does your signature never work properly?

Since I disabled signature, I totally don't keep forgetting about that

10 hours ago, Viridescent 2.0 said:

Et tu, choicebander

Do you secretly enjoy the name puns I make for you each day? Well, you're just going to keep getting one anyway.

I'm currently in the acceptance phase right now. Make of that what you will.

9 hours ago, Tempest said:

Why would you succumb to doing an AMA?

What made you want to create hardcore? What's the story behind it?

-I was honestly curious to see if anyone would even ask me questions and to see how many silly questions I'd get

-Oh Hardcore is hard to answer. Something that always stuck with me was something Ame said in an interview (I believe the Gamerstree one or around that time. Been a few years since I saw it). This is just a paraphrase but she said, "In the league, challengers would often run odd or unusual movesets and mons so she wanted to create a game that encouraged this kind of playstyle." The league leaders were also real people who used real strategies so it's not like you could just make something up. That's something I really, really liked about the Reborn game.

Fast forward a year or so and cue field effects and the dreaded leader nerfs. How many of you remember the number of times someone got upset Aya, Noel, Serra, and even Charlotte got nerfed. There was a lot of talk about wanting the old leader difficulty back but all everyone did was complain, including me. It wasn't in my right to tamper with Ame's game. It wasn't even my own. Then came this random user called Solarence (Jamaka at the time) talking about how to make the leaders difficulty. I was skeptical at the time and even thought giving ZEL 4 Pokemon would be insane and way too difficult.

Then came the thread with the title Reborn Hardcore as the name of the mod. Solarence said he was going to make a harder version of Reborn making it more like Rejuvenation Intense Mode. I'll admit this was probably in an act of arrogance but after helping Solarence quite a bit with the difficulty, I ended up joining the team making all of the bosses. Here's one thing you are mistaken on: I did not want to make Reborn Hardcore and in fact there would be no Reborn Hardcore if not for Solarence. I'd consider the original Reborn Hardcore more of a social experiment. There are three things I wanted to make sure this mod did: Stay true to the original Reborn (I still wanted this mod to feel like Reborn at the core ie Leaders using their strategies and every Pokemon was still usable and pushed for creativity and skill), a difficulty centered around Pre-nerf Aya in strength, and most importantly: shut the Reborn elitists mouths about how old Reborn is better than this new, easier, and more gimmicky version of Reborn.

We all know I ended up taking over the project sooner or later as I learned how to do more stuff, but what kind of surprised me is that the playerbase for Hardcore was not veterans like it was intended for (I do bring back quite a number of old mons as references), but newer users who some haven't even played this "old" reborn people spoke of. This is where I took Hardcore a lot more seriously and ended up turning the game from a social experiment into a mod after a complete revamp. I often listen to what users are saying and try to do something to address it or add it to Hardcore.

11 hours ago, Tempest said:

How did you find out about Reborn?

Got any hobbies? What do you do in your free time?

Favorite food?

If you could live anywhere, where would you want to live? 

If you could go anywhere, where would you want to go?

-It happened when I was a senior in high school. I actually overheard a conversation about someone getting very upset the Pokemon Reborn had been blocked on our school computers. He said that it's the only Pokemon game he'd ever play. Admittedly after a long while of ignoring it (I can't remember if B/W came out or not but I know I really stopped playing after that game), I just got back into it with nuzlockes though I was pretty terrible at the game in reality. I decided to pick up Pokemon Reborn and I ended up being frustrated by the number of times it whooped my ass with every leader (I really didn't have that good of a team btw). The moment that hooked me in was the Corey suicide as it made me say that this isn't like the other Pokemon games.

-Eh, my free time is a mix of video games, modding game now, and writing. With that and school, it's not surprising that most of my free time gets sucked up by so few things as one requires a few hours to work on almost every day.

-Favorite food is goulash

-Pretty close to where I am now. I enjoy this comfy little city so I wouldn't mind living here for the rest of my life honestly.

-The world I built inside my head. Even though I hate flying, I would want to somewhere across the seas at some point. As cliche as it is, Japan would be high up there as I'd like to see it once.

(Whew that was a lot of questions to answer)

Well while I'm still waiting

5 hours ago, Gaunt said:

Would you let another person die to save yourself?

What imaginary monster you think is the scariest? The strongest?

-Well since I really do like living, probably. If I were the one to kill them, that might be a different story.

-I'm going to have to go with a planet eater such as Lavos for scariest. Just imagine a giant thing sucking the life out of a planet, leading to your own death with nothing you can do about it. The strongest I can't really say. I'll have to go with Dragons. In pure strength, Dragons certainly can be outclassed by other mythical creatures at the time even but Dragons can be depicted as being quite intelligent and knowledgeable. The ability to think and act on it is one of the most dangerous tools one can have.

4 hours ago, KosherKitten said:

What made you decide to be a commander instead of a subordinate?

How does it make you feel that no matter what you respond to the above I will find some way to read it as though it were an innuendo?

-Why blindly follow someone for something I don't believe in when I could lead my own path so that others may follow? 

-Frustrated, Confused, and slightly turned on for some very odd reason