NX Grand Reveal

nepeta100

>portable skyrim

-I kinda already played that game to death when it first came out. I really don't care about it anymore and would sooner get it for my ps4.

>ports of Wii u games

-already have those for said wii u system. and I don't play any of those anymore.

>console and handheld

-some games don't take to the small screen that well. I have a small portable screen that's intended for gaming but some games really don't shrink well. but those are mostly fps's and nintendo doesn't really deal in those, so I guess that's okay.

>new LoZ and what looks like a new Mario (unless it was 3D world and I'm mistaken)

-that's cuz all the mario games are rather samey these days and I'd lost interest in them after sunshine. As I've said before, the new LoZ doesn't appeal to me either.

>has a stand and detachable controllers.

hope they are built sturdily and don't wear out so that shit gets all loose too soon.

I literally cannot find anything wrong with it from the trailer. Just don't have a short battery life.

dude is a neglectful dog owner- takes dog to park and lets it run around by itself while he stares at the game pad on a bench. probably has glare from sun that they edit out.

Edit: yeah holy fuck that's a new Mario game and it looks fucking gorgeous.

like I said, it looks the same to me.

the table screen thing doesn't have a cover or folding design to it like the 3ds, so you'd have to invest in screen protectors, etc., or it won't survive long bumping around in bags of any sort.

do the controllers run off the same battery as the system or do you still need separate ones? the smart choice would be the latter.

why are they still trying to push wiimotes? those things are still shit to play with. the classic SNES controllers are still way better than those.

was that a headphone jack at the top? can you charge the pad when it's away from the home docking station?

does the game pad retain the touch screen functionality of the wii u's? I doubt it.

is the portability change really worth buying what is really just another wii u?

what kind of memory does it have? I would assume no backwards compatibility because it uses cartridges instead of discs.

If you never picked up a wiiu, this is probably worth getting.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, no matter how cool the console is, it all comes down to the games. This goes in reverse too, if the console turns out to be not very good or has some fatal flaw, good games will make said faults moot. And from what Nintendo has shown, they make some great games. So I'm not worried at all that it'll be a worthwhile console.

Again, no matter how cool the console is, it all comes down to the games. This goes in reverse too, if the console turns out to be not very good or has some fatal flaw, good games will make said faults moot. And from what Nintendo has shown, they make some great games. So I'm not worried at all that it'll be a worthwhile console.

well for me, the current line up has nothing I would pick up, so I would have to look at the hardware for its potential in allowing for good games.

As for the system itself, even if I got it, I'd still probably only use it as a home console. A handheld like the 3ds includes features like spot pass, street pass, wifi connectivity, direct communication between systems. From what I've seen, I would assume that it has none of that, and that local and internet connectivity are tied in with the home console base and not the portable tablet part. If this is true, then it will never be a decent alternative to the 3ds for portable gaming and its portability will be kind of for nothing if you don't really use it.

But if it DOES have all that too, is there any reason to continue on with the 3ds if you can get home console sized games on the go instead? The dual and touch screen will probably be the deciding factor for developer's choice when making the new games, but it would probably still lean heavily towards the Switch. Despite Nintendo's intentions, it really might still kill off the 3ds.

well for me, the current line up has nothing I would pick up, so I would have to look at the hardware for its potential in allowing for good games.

As for the system itself, even if I got it, I'd still probably only use it as a home console. A handheld like the 3ds includes features like spot pass, street pass, wifi connectivity, direct communication between systems. From what I've seen, I would assume that it has none of that, and that local and internet connectivity are tied in with the home console base and not the portable tablet part. If this is true, then it will never be a decent alternative to the 3ds for portable gaming and its portability will be kind of for nothing if you don't really use it.

But if it DOES have all that too, is there any reason to continue on with the 3ds if you can get home console sized games on the go instead? The dual and touch screen will probably be the deciding factor for developer's choice when making the new games, but it would probably still lean heavily towards the Switch. Despite Nintendo's intentions, it really might still kill off the 3ds.

I think this is meant to eventually kill off the 3ds and bridge the console and handheld together. having them separate is straining the company and they're hoping to centralize their systems eventually.

eh, they're only strained because they made a console with a failed gimmick, very little third party support, and crappy controllers. They even brought back the game cube controllers, but they only work for one game. If they plan to eventually merge the two, they'll have to give up on crappy peripherals and utilize either the handheld control design more or remember what they did right with the game cube controllers.

I just want to know how much this will cost. Assuming you want to have a decent library, this could end up being a real hole in the pocket.

Also I lied, I didn't put 300 hours into Skyrim. I've put over 1000 into it. Which means I wish I could be hyped for it being mobile, but at this point I really can't have too much fun with a game I've played that much...

I know you all are getting hyped up about all these triple a titles being available for the NX, but what i am concerned about is this thing's specs. I know its only a small 720p screen, but if we hooked it up to an external monitor, will we still have an enjoyable gaming experience. Dont get me wrong, it seems like a cool concept, but i do hope that this thing can also act as a console (since most likely the NX will be replacing both the wiiU and the 3ds.

Like if nintendo can achieve the prefect balance of portability and gaming horsepower of a console, then the NX (or switch? whatever nintendo calls it) will be a good console.

Honestly, I don't care a single bit about third party games on a Nintendo console. My PC will play those infinitely better. But Nintendo's own games are the true draw of their consoles. If they give us new entries in the Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Zelda and Metroid series, it'll surely be a console worth having from those games alone.

(since most likely the NX will be replacing both the wiiU and the 3ds.

I hope it's not replacing both. I like the dual screen feature. Plenty of games made good use of the DS/3DS two screens and I wouldn't want to see the idea just get abandoned completely. (The Switch isn't capable of dual screen play, by the way. The base needs to be in the dock to show gameplay on a tv).

Edit: Okay, GameFreak apparently plan on making pokemon games for the Switch in future. So... Guess it might be replacing both, sadly.

Edited by Captain Breakfast

I am starting to doubt it after hearing more and more information from Game Xplain, Yong Yea, Yo Video Games, and Shofu. (some youtubers I follow) Apparently this console only has a battery life of 3 hours, has a 720p display that enhances when plugged into a TV, and is single screen only. So games like Splatoon are being reworked for single screen play. What is the most exciting for this console is the game representation. We have companies like Level 5, Bethesda, From Software, Spikechun Soft, and Arksystem Works working on games for this. That is exciting because most of those companies don't make Nintendo games. I even remember that Bethesda put out a statement saying something along the lines of "we won't work with Nintendo unless they change the way they do things that is better for the developers." Apparently that change may potentially happened.

Oo, will there be a spiritual successor to Colosseum/XD?

Game Freak said they will make pokemon games. Not Genius Sonority or any other company. So that's a no.

Plus Game Freak already said there's no more need for games like Stadium or Colosseum because the main games on the handheld systems are fully 3d now(plus there's the fact that Colosseum pretty much only existed to make up for the inability to transfer pokemon from gen 2 to gen 3, which isn't an issue nowadays). And now, assuming the Switch is replacing both, I can almost guarantee we'll never be seeing another Colosseum/XD style of pokemon game.

Game Freak didn't make the Colosseum/XD series. Some random ass third party did.

Yeah I know GS made XD, that's why I said spiritual successor and how dare you call them random-ass those games were great

Game Freak said they will make pokemon games. Not Genius Sonority or any other company. So that's a no.

Plus Game Freak already said there's no more need for games like Stadium or Colosseum because the main games on the handheld systems are fully 3d now(plus there's the fact that Colosseum pretty much only existed to make up for the inability to transfer pokemon from gen 2 to gen 3, which isn't an issue nowadays). And now, assuming the Switch is replacing both, I can almost guarantee we'll never be seeing another Colosseum/XD style of pokemon game.

The XY/ORAS 3D style resembled XD in some ways and I have to imagine they took some inspiration from the GCN title

I just don't really see them as spiritual successors because of their different character design, setting, and game mechanics

Not to get too far off on a tangent but here are some arguments I can think of for which Nintendo might revisit the series:

- The transition to a (semi-?) console might inspire them to draw on familiar console staples (Colosseum for N64, XD for GCN)

- They just redid Hoenn to hit the nostalgia demographic, which came out around the same time as XD (2002 and 2005, respectively)

- Though it's an original IP, Nintendo recently revived Kid Icarus of all things and that went over well

a boy can dream

Edited by HughJ

The XY/ORAS 3D style resembled XD in some ways and I have to imagine they took some inspiration from the GCN title

I just don't really see them as spiritual successors because of their different character design, setting, and game mechanics

Not to get too far off on a tangent but here are some arguments I can think of for which Nintendo might revisit the series:

- The transition to a (semi-?) console might inspire them to draw on familiar console staples (Colosseum for N64, XD for GCN)

- They just redid Hoenn to hit the nostalgia demographic, which came out around the same time as XD (2002 and 2005, respectively)

- Though it's an original IP, Nintendo recently revived Kid Icarus of all things and that went over well

a boy can dream

The issue is not whether of not the gen 6 games are spiritual successors, It's the fact that they are fully 3D at all. Which means that it makes Stadium/Colosseum games redundant in Game Freak's eyes.

I doubt Game Freak cares too much about gen 3 nostalgia. After all, they did completely neglect to include the Battle Frontier in ORAS. Plus, if they wanted to do something with Colosseum, they would've announced something after ORAS(Also, Colosseum is a gen 3 game. Not gen 2.)

Just because Nintendo decided to reboot a classic IP one time doesn't mean Game Freak will want to give similar treatment to a spin off series, one which they've already said they think would serve no real purpose now, and one which they left to rot for at least 9 years.

The most I'd expect for Colosseum and XD is a VC release on the Switch(assuming GC games on the VC are even a thing on the Switch). And even that's pretty optimistic considering the Stadium games never wound up on the Wii U VC.

I wouldn't mind the 3 hour battery on the Switch much if either there's a charger included(aside from the dock thing, at least, I assume that would charge it) or at the very least one available that's not too expensive. I could bring it to school and charge it at the cafe that way.

Meh I'd probably just emulate if they rerelease GCN games on VC

If I ever get another console it'll be for exclusives I want to play rq, not games I can run reliably on existant hardware

Do we even know if Switch will have a VC? Assuming that its only function is to rerelease old games whose associated hardware has become unreliable (like Red and Blue on the 3DS earlier this year)

I feel like the market for that kind of platform is dissolving as the (admittedly illegal) practice of emulation becomes more reliable and less stigmatized, and the functional longevity of hardware that games have been released on 10 years ago (which I think currently covers the DS?) grows with each generation

Hopefully that was intelligible but tl;dr what do you think of the future of VC and will the Switch feature it?

It would be silly to assume Nintendo would ditch Virtual Console on the Switch. It's been a thing since the Wii came out.

You're kinda assuming that all these people with access to emulators are potential customers who suddenly don't want to pay now that they know they can get the games for free. If that were the case, digital distribution services like Steam either wouldn't be doing so well or wouldn't exist at all and no developer would ever want to make games for PC. Obviously, this is simply not true.

Personally, if possible, I would much rather legitimately purchase a game through a service like Steam or the eshop and support the developers than download it illegally and pay nothing ever. And I'm sure I'm far from the only person like this.

Assuming that its only function is to rerelease old games whose associated hardware has become unreliable (like Red and Blue on the 3DS earlier this year)

I'm not entirely sure how the VC works, specifically whether if offers original or new content. I've only ever heard the term in reference to Nintendo-sanctioned emulation of older games whose hardware is no longer sold or even no longer functions correctly. As a result I am operating on the assumption that it does not offer new games and only exists as a place for Nintendo to rerelease their "classics"

I'm not going to torrent a game that's even 5 years old because of moral issues and the risks involved regarding viruses, and that's an informed choice I think the majority of people are going to make. For these games many people will buy physical copies, associated consoles, or otherwise purchase on Steam.

But the line gets a little blurry when it comes to games that:

- Are approaching a decade in age or older

- Ran on comparatively primitive computational software that can be easily downloaded (safer than torrenting) and emulated at levels equal to or greater than those offered by a Nintendo-sanctioned VC download

- Are no longer being sold as a disc/cartridge or otherwise as originally distributed

- Ran on hardware that is no longer being sold

- Have already sold many millions of copies and are now considered "dormant" with respect to past sales

- Are widely available on the Internet on reasonably trustworthy sites

- ESPECIALLY no longer belong to their original IP owners

Examples of games that fit all these categories include Elder Scrolls II and I believe Crash Bandicoot 2

Who is the main audience for these redistributed virtual games? Presumably, nostalgic older gamers in their 20's who can just as easily navigate to a Target page and buy the Switch as they can to an emulation distribution site and download a ROM. The sense of moral obligation initially driving many of them to purchase new things kind of becomes diluted as you run down the bullet list...

Nintendo might sell less than 500,000 copies (at a greatly decreased price) of redistributed software on their VC store, outside of viral phemomenon like the weird Red/Blue craze earlier this year, and that's well-known IPs that people are nostalgic about. How many downloads are Ice Climbers going to get? 50,000?

I also don't know business, and my uncle doesn't work at Nintendo, so I can't be sure what the cost/benefit ratio is of hosting a sales platform dedicated solely to the redistribution of obsolete games that can be easily obtained through a Google search. Maybe it's EZ$, or maybe it's an inconvenience. Thoughts?

Edited by HughJ

Who is the main audience for these redistributed virtual games? Presumably, nostalgic older gamers in their 20's who can just as easily navigate to a Target page and buy the Switch as they can to an emulation distribution site and download a ROM. The sense of moral obligation initially driving many of them to purchase new things kind of becomes diluted as you run down the bullet list...

Nintendo might sell less than 500,000 copies (at a greatly decreased price) of redistributed software on their VC store, outside of viral phemomenon like the weird Red/Blue craze earlier this year, and that's well-known IPs that people are nostalgic about. How many downloads are Ice Climbers going to get? 50,000?

I also don't know business, and my uncle doesn't work at Nintendo, so I can't be sure what the cost/benefit ratio is of hosting a sales platform dedicated solely to the redistribution of obsolete games that can be easily obtained through a Google search. Maybe it's EZ$, or maybe it's an inconvenience. Thoughts?

You know what the benefit is? People who already own the console don't have to illegally download these games or buy old systems and cartridges/disks at absurd prices if they want to enjoy classic games. What is there to not get about having a legal option to enjoy these games? If I had a Wii U, I'd be easily tempted to buy a lot of the GBA and DS games on there.

The way you're arguing also kinda assumes that the VC would be a main selling point of the console, the VC is obviously not a main selling point of the console, but it's nice to have regardless. You would buy the Switch for the new games that come out on it, then suddenly you have access to classic games via the Virtual Console. And at that point, it's just as easy to purchase these games on VC as it is to emulate them. And if already have a Switch/Wii U, then most of the argument against the VC falls apart. Only reason you'd want to bother emulating if you already have a Switch or Wii U is to save like €10. And if you can't be arsed to pay that little to buy a game when it's just as easy to do so as it is to google it, chances are you would never have bought that game regardless. So it's not a lost sale.

I hope a lot of the major games from the Wii U are being ported over Switch, even if it means outright removing some of the gamepad features(although in some cases, the game would benefit from these features being removed,) I was hoping the Switch would be backwards compatible because of the Wii U's flop, but clearly that isn't happening now.

• Veterans

I am starting to doubt it after hearing more and more information from Game Xplain, Yong Yea, Yo Video Games, and Shofu. (some youtubers I follow) Apparently this console only has a battery life of 3 hours, has a 720p display that enhances when plugged into a TV, and is single screen only. So games like Splatoon are being reworked for single screen play. What is the most exciting for this console is the game representation. We have companies like Level 5, Bethesda, From Software, Spikechun Soft, and Arksystem Works working on games for this. That is exciting because most of those companies don't make Nintendo games. I even remember that Bethesda put out a statement saying something along the lines of "we won't work with Nintendo unless they change the way they do things that is better for the developers." Apparently that change may potentially happened.

IIRC the battery life statement is based off of the Devkit Ubisoft was given, not to mention it depends on what settings it was on. I can see them improving this before releasing any solid statements. Not expecting a crazy battery life but I'd say 3-5 hours is probably the estimate I'd give for the retail version. I'd personally wait for an official statement from Ninty. Personally hoping the starting lineup is good.

Out of curiosity, am I the only one whose planning on investing on one after the release the secondary version? I know the Wii go remade at some point, and the 3DS got not one, but two new versions (XL and New 3DS). I feel like that would be a safer bet, since they'll probably improve the hardware in some way, but I'd like to know if others are considering this?