Manectric v. Ampharos v. Magnezone

noahsuxx

I'm having trouble figuring out my electric type member for my team and I'm stuck between these three Pokemon. Here's their stats...

Manectric (Naughty - Static) lvl 70

- Wild Charge

- Discharge

- Charge

- Ice Fang

Ampharos (Modest - Static) lvl 66

- Power Gem

- Dragon Pulse

- Signal Beam

- Discharge

Magnezone (Quiet - Magnet Pull) lvl 71

- Magnet Rise

- Flash Cannon

- Metal Sound

- Discharge

Any help is appreciated, and I honestly have no issue with re-breeding for a new nature. Thanks :D

Those are three different Pokemon with three completely different uses. Ampharos is bulky and really kind of there as early game support which should only be used if you're weak in both defenses as it can take a hit and parafuse combo along with hit hard with an electric attack. Magnezone is a little slow but its typing is quite good so if you lack defenses I'd go for that. Manectric is the best offensively and actually goes quite nicely with a discharge user due to the free boost from lightining rod. It's very fast and will generally hit stuff hard before dying.

It really grinds down to your team and what you need. If you lack speed then Manectric, but if you are frail then Magnezone.

Look, all these people are lying to you, the only answer is Magnezone. Magnezone is love, Magnezone is life, Magnezone is all powerful and Magnezone is God.

Quite seriously, it's the best Electric type in the game by a lo g shot, and easily the best special attacking steel type. It learns its best offensive and support moves by level (TWave support is terrific), resists more types than any other Pokemon in the game, has a huge special attack stat (more than the sheepgiraffe and the dog, anyway) and has an incredibly useful range of abilities; in particular, Sturdy can save you in a pinch and helps with supporting moves, and Analytic goes well with its low speed and lets you grab a free boost on all your attacks.

If you need a fast attacker, use something other than manectric for god's sake. It has the shittiest level up movepool of any electric type I've seen, learning absolutely nothing to go with its half-decent special attack other than discharge. You won't even get to use Flamethrower until way later in the game, abd by then you'll have some better to use with it, like a noivern or something.

Accept the Lord Magnezone as your Saviour. Be blessed.

Imho: Magnezone > Manetric > Ampharos

Most people agree that magnezone is the best electric mon in the game but rate ampharos higher only because its easier to train early-mid game. Once you get all the tms manetric makes ampharos obsolete as its faster and hits as hard. Magnezone is hands down the best though, there's no debate about that.

If you need a fast attacker, use something other than manectric for god's sake. It has the shittiest level up movepool of any electric type I've seen, learning absolutely nothing to go with its half-decent special attack other than discharge. You won't even get to use Flamethrower until way later in the game, abd by then you'll have some better to use with it, like a noivern or something.

Accept the Lord Magnezone as your Saviour. Be blessed.

If you think that Manectric has the worst level-up movepool out of Electric types, I invite you to look at Tynamo.

Moving on, tbh, Manectric gets about everything it needs to be a decent special attacker through the natural progression in the game. Discharge is highly spamable in Reborn, even getting a boost on certain fields like the Factory field, as well as being excellent for otherwise troubling Double battles by potentially doing tons of damage and paralyzing two Pokemon. It also gets one of the best moves it could ask for by the time you obtain it via TM57: Charge Beam. The potential to hit with decent STAB damage while setting up is nothing to be slept on and it allows Manectric to actually sweep many otherwise challenging fights as a revenge killer/cleaner. You almost certainly want to soft-reset until you get the necessary IVs for HP Ice, however, as it will be invaluable later on. Hidden Power is also obtained naturally after Noel, so before then, you just need to make sure you have some support for Manectric to help him with Ground and Grass types (another Grass type works pretty well here). Flamethrower does come a bit late, but it is still a solid enough move. Thunder is another option for pure power, esspecially if you want to combine it with Ludicolo to handle each others problems and have both benefit from the Rain that Ludicolo can set up via Rain Dance (Lotad learns via level-up at 27, which is would need to still be Lotad at the level anyways to grab either Giga Drain or Energy Ball).

It is also worth mentioning that Electrike actually learns T-Wave as well- and while you point out Magnemite learns it, at the level Magnemite is obtainable, you will have to utilize the move relearner or the daycare to actually have it on Magnemite, since it is catchable in the low 30s in Reborn and learns it at level 13 as of ORAS. And to breed it onto Magnemite, you obviously must have a Ditto since Magnemite is genderless, so if you want to save your heart scales, T-Wave Magnemite has worse availability than T-Wave Manectric, since Manectric can breed with anything in the field egg group.

I will admit that Magnezone has much nicer general utility in its abilities, but Lightning Rod is still excellent against the AI, since you can easily trick them into using any Electric type move and proceeding to destroy their lives I'm looking at you, Shade. Magnezone does also have a significant advantage in base special attack, although this advantage is mitigated if Manectric polishes off a Pokemon with Charge Beam and gets the boost, leaving it stronger than Magnezone. While Magnezone does obviously have access to Charge Beam as well, Manectric does it better with its superior speed.

Plus, while Magnezone does have an absolute ton of resistances- we're talking 11 resistances and 1 immunity here- it's kinda rendered moot when you consider that every significant fight after the Magnezone line is obtained (with the exclusion of the most recent PULSE) has had coverage to nail Magnezone on the few weaknesses it has. Most commonly through Focus Blast, but sometimes through the likes of strong ground types, like Nidoking, Gliscor, or Garchomp. It's certainly noteworthy that while Magnezone does lose to these mons due to being outsped and KOed by SE coverage, Manectric can actually beat them through Charge Beam+HP Ice, coupled with its high speed. For example, on Ciel, you can whittle down her other Pokemon with Charge Beam, slowly boost up while he insists on healing, and them OHKO Gliscor when she finally sends it in because you outspeed. Manectric is also just fast enough to outspeed Garchomp, which is a significant benchmark to pass.

All in all, I find you claims that Manectric is a terrible Special Attacker in Reborn are rather baseless. Yes, it does require a bit of assistance from Charge Beam and HP Ice, but I honestly never once found that I needed any more than Electric STAB and HP Ice for the entirety of Reborn up to the current release. Speed is the main determinant in the differences in these Pokemon, and while Manectric does have its flaws, it is a valuable and powerful Pokemon that offers many assets. And while I just spent a decent chunk of time defending Manectric and I love to use it, I still believe that Ampharos is actually the best Electric type in Reborn since it has the ability to be either a slower, bulker mon, similar to Magnezone, with nice support movesl like T-Wave and Cotton Guard, or to be faster and stronger, similarly to Manectric using Agility and Charge Beam. Plus, it has a very nice level-up movepool and its Mega Evolution only highlights these strengths.

Also, I gotta say, Mega Ampharos beats Mega Manectric almost 100% of the time because STAB Dragon Pulse can one shot it, while Manectric's HP Ice only does 40-50%, assuming it's not a particularly bulky Ampharos.

At this point I'd be using magnezone as it fairs reasonably well against the final five gyms, even if only due to sturdy t-wave shenanigans.

For overall usage, my bias is a bit towards manetric due to the potential synergy in doubles and the importance of speed at this stage of the game.

Ampharos is near useless now. The natural bulk means nothing without resists and the amped up field effects + actual competitive movesets from NPC's really ruin its viability late in reborn. Maybe when we get its mega return to it, but it should not be considered at this point.

The only exception to this rule is if you're yet to battle Ciel, in which case manetric and magnezone should both be used. Manetric for togekiss and magnezone wherever else it can land a sneaky T-wave or shoot down something with discharge/flash cannon.

At this point I'm thinking "What about Emolga/Pachirisu? You can annoy the everloving crap out of people with it..." (Seriously, Super Fang/Nuzzle/Lovely Kiss + Bulk = evil), but out of the three, Magnezone seems the better choice to me, but slightly.

You're also at the point you can get Rotom and its many forms iirc, so why not choose that?
(Or you could opt for Heliolisk and choose Dry Skin/Surf or Solar Power/Solarbeam iirc. Or Compoundeyes Galvantula.)

l'Oréal.

Everything will change when we get the majestic hair though. i_m_not_sorry_by_joltik92-d6h82uo.png

Speaking in terms of their current usefulness in Reborn, Magnezone generally offers more utility apart from the aforementioned Electric types other than Speed being low. It has the best damage output with the highest SpA and Analytic, it has Sturdy + Thunder Wave/MIrror Coat to deal with hard to deal with boss fights such as El's Ditto-Arceus and Pulse Swalot, and the like.

Manectric is more suited to a sweeping role and you'll want to avoid physical moves on it and instead try for moves such as Flamethrower or Hidden Power Ice/Grass, the former being only obtainable via older episodes.

Speaking in terms of their current usefulness in Reborn, Magnezone generally offers more utility apart from the aforementioned Electric types other than Speed being low. It has the best damage output with the highest SpA and Analytic, it has Sturdy + Thunder Wave/MIrror Coat to deal with hard to deal with boss fights such as El's Ditto-Arceus and Pulse Swalot, and the like.

Manectric is more suited to a sweeping role and you'll want to avoid physical moves on it and instead try for moves such as Flamethrower or Hidden Power Ice/Grass, the former being only obtainable via older episodes.

Unless I missed something, Flamethrower is still the reward for defeating Charolette.

Well personally i can never use manetric effectively.......... it may just be because of my play style but my fave to use is Ampharos. But my movesets on it are discharge, charge, cotton guard then either dragon pulse/thunderwave. i basically make it my wall and then slowly destroy the team im going up against. Of course a ground type destroys this strategy easily.

i also love Magnezone though because its one of the best steel types available with Sturdy imo

Magnezone #1

Amphy #2

Manectric #3

No reason to debate.

Manectric dies to every hit and can't OHKO anything that it isn't super effective against, which isn't a lot. Amphy is a good wall and great support pokemon but it's too slow. It also hits pretty hard. Magnezone isn't too slow, has a lot of resistances, has good support moves, and hits really hard.