Pokemon Rumors

This one might pertain more tot he older generation of trainers on this website. Some of us remember a time before the internet, where going online required a phone line. In this era a lot of crazy rumors went rampant about the playground, us trainers heard the craziest tales. I want to know what you heard, and which ones turned out to be true.

I had one that was entirely crazy. My friend told me that once you collected all 150 Pokemon, you had to go up to Professor Oak with Mewtwo and have it use flash. A warp pad would appear and take you to a place called Rainbow City. There, you would face a Gym Leader who would then give you a TM called Build. The move would allow you to build your own gym.

oh. oh boy.

theres one I can remember straight up, from ruby/sapphire. a friend told me that you needed to bring the roaming latias/latios (depending on the version you played) to the space center in mossdeep city. it HAD to be the roaming latias/latios from your game, not a traded one, or else it wouldnt work. latias/latios also had to have a sitrus berry as held item. anyway, if you talked to the 'succesful launches' guy with latias/latios as your first party member, and there were either 50 or 150 succesful launches (exactly that amount), you would be allowed to board a rocket and go to space, where you could battle and capture deoxys.

Mew is totally under the Truck at the Docks!

and you need a traded Pokemon with Cut, so you don't have to board the MS.Anne to get it. Defeat the Pokemon League, have all other 150 Pokemon (and the Certificate) - go to the Docks with Mewtwo, and Pokemon with Surf and Strength.

Surf across the water to the Truck and move the Trcuk with Strength to trigger the encounter with Mew.

Mew is totally under the Truck at the Docks!

and you need a traded Pokemon with Cut, so you don't have to board the MS.Anne to get it.

Just to know, you can either lose on purpose by a trainer after you get Cut to not make the ship leave or you can use a Surf glitch to reach the truck even after the ship has left!

The most common rumors I heard per gen:

Gen 1 - If you trade the Pikachu from Yellow version, evolve and send it back the Raichu will follow you. And apparently if you have a following Raichu you can trigger a whole bunch of unbeleivable events!

Gen 2 - Defeat Red/league X times and you will find Mewthree in Mt. Silver instead of Red.

Gen 3 - You can go to space after defeating the league X times or that if you feed your pokemon 100 pokeblocks of the color it likes (a man in game says what pokeblocks they like) it will turn into a shiny!

Gen 4 - You can find Cyrus as the final boss in battle tower and if you beat him he will give you Red Chain to summon Arceus...

After Gen 4 I don't think there were any rumors you couldn't search on the internet.

One that turned out to be true was the MissingNo Glitch (I used to pronounce it as the Miss Ingo Pokemon when I was little). Except the adaptation I heard gave an unnecessary instruction of going to the trainer card and pressing up down left right down "b" before talking to the old man that needed his coffee.

Another glitch I heard was that if you talk to the girl by Bill's house in Red/Blue who wanted a Clefairy, eventually she will offer to trade you for one. In return she would give you a Togepi.

My friends told me that if i caught a ratatta that had perfect iv's in two categories in Pokemon Heartgold, Yongster Joey's text would change and ask to trade your rat for his rat which had a lucky egg...

Most of the ones I remember as a kid (back when I myself wasn't allowed to play) are already said here. Missingno., The Mew Truck, etc. But there are a couple...

From the Red/Blue days: I remember the rumor that if you used a Fire Stone on a level 100 Dragonite, on a Game Boy Color (regular GB or a GBC didn't work), then it would evolve into Yoshi.

From the FireRed/LeafGreen days: the games would overwrite the GBA's battery light indicator changing at low battery, and if you were playing FR the light would always be red, and if you were playing LG the light would always be green. To call your attention at low battery, the light would start flashing.

To be fair, that second one actually sounds like something Game Freak would totally do if they had the capability, but I'm not sure they would have the capability.

Edited by Rot8er_ConeX