Spork Episode 8: Smoothie + Delicia's Delicious Dreamland

Ice Cream Sand Witch

• Global Mods

MYSTERY DUNGEONS + INGREDIENT MIXING + GEN 7 INFO + STATUS UPDATE

fb2bc51e1f2b45ccb78a42ce35154565.png

Bunnelby Burrows is now a Mystery Dungeon! The Bunnelby now appear in the overworld throughout the dungeon, and items can be found while exploring. The items you can find here include berries, evolution stones, and status healing items. This one just has a single floor. I've also removed Dig from Bunnelby Burrows since Gen 7 changed TM28 to Leech Life. Leech Life will be the TM awarded for defeating the Bug-type leader, who isn't one of the three leaders you'll be facing in episode 3. 

796c2cef94d54d1d8800766c7fbdd204.pngaaf05ba470204a8abc636eb9dc46c888.png

There are now also NPCs in certain places who can make a specific item if you have the required ingredients (Berry Juice will be removed from Aliora's Berry Shop to avoid the top NPC's service becoming pointless/redundant). Both the Mystery Dungeon and ingredient mixing ideas come from Sweet Power Baby, and there will be more of both beyond episode 3. 

Since Ame's Gen 7 sprite pack is finished, I'll now add Gen 7 Pokemon to Spork. An important note: Since abilities and moves need to be added manually (the Gen 7 pack just includes the sprites since Reborn's scripts are too customized to work with every fangame), it's possible I won't be able to get every single Gen 7 move and ability to function. I have zero knowledge of coding, so I can only do my best. That being said, I'll do as many as I can, and I'll let everyone know which ones I wasn't able to do. Ordinary NPC trainer teams will likely remain the same, but some important characters will have team changes, noted below:

Crolea: Ursaring -> Bewear
Ashley: Fletchinder -> Oricorio 
Gina will be getting Mimikyu, but I'm not yet sure which of her Pokemon will be switched for it. 
Aretha may get Lurantis. 
Barker and Felicia won't have any changes to their early game teams, but the next time they're battled Barker will have Lycanroc Midday and Felicia will have Alolan Persian. 
I considered giving Delicia Alolan Exeggutor, but it probably won't happen since her Exeggutor uses a Harvest Sitrus Berry strategy that Alolan Exeggutor can't use due to having a different ability.

I've also added an ep 3 progress report to the first post, right after ep 2's download link. Instead of percentages (since I'd probably not be very good at measuring that), I did a list of tasks with the crossed out ones being finished. This will be updated whenever one of the listed tasks is done. Legend Mode is the name of the separate download that SPB and I mentioned earlier. 

• Upvote 4

• Global Mods

Gen 7 is ~99% done. I just need help adding a few abilities, and was fortunate enough to find help for that. So now I'll talk about how certain Gen 7 mechanics will function.

First, here's a list of moves I was able to add, which is more than I thought I'd be capable of (this excludes legendary moves like Moongeist Beam as they aren't available yet, but I've added most of those too): Accelerock, Anchor Shot, Brutal Swing, Clanging Scales, Dragon Hammer, Fire Lash, First Impression, Floral Healing, High Horsepower, Ice Hammer, Liquidation, Lunge, Multi-Attack, Power Trip, Psychic Fangs, Shadow Bone, Shore Up, Smart Strike, Solar Blade, Trop Kick, Zing Zap, Pollen Puff*, Speed Swap, Revelation Dance, Baneful Bunker, Aurora Veil, Psychic Terrain, Purify. 

*Pollen Puff doesn't have the ally-healing effect, it just does damage. I wasn't able to do the ally-healing part.

Memories: As mentioned earlier, Type: Null and the memories will be in an ep 3 area called Pokemon Research Institute. However, you won't be given the memories along with Type: Null. You'll have to search for those with the guidance of a character in the institute. (I said before they'll be available "at once", but this event wasn't as fleshed out back then)

Oricorio: the nectar to change forms, as well as Oricorio itself, are in Aliora Meadow. 

Changed evolution methods from the main games: These will also be listed in the obtainable Pokemon notepad file, but:

Crabrawler -> Crabominable = Ice Stone

Exeggcute -> Alolan Exeggutor = Sun Stone

Cubone -> Alolan Marowak = Fire Stone

Yungoos and Alolan Rattata don't only evolve at day or night respectively. They just need to reach the level. I removed the time of day requirement. 

Charjabug -> Vikavolt = Thunder Stone

Pikachu -> Alolan Raichu = Sun Stone

Zygarde: I'm pretty sure I won't be having the player collect cells and cores. That was the initial plan when the Zygarde Cube was shown in a trailer for SM, but with Marbles already being a numerous collectible, I feel like I should do something different with Zygarde. 

Alolan Forms: They're separate species from the normal forms in the Pokedex, and are after Marshadow numerically. 

Older Pokemon with new abilities: I was selective with these. As in, I updated most of them but kept ones that I felt fit better with the Pokemon. Raikou, Entei, and Suicune still have their respective second abilities from Gen 6 instead of all three getting Inner Focus, because I thought that was a boring change. The Gastly line still has Levitate instead of Cursed Body because that's a controversial change that I'm not sure what to think of. 

Z Moves: Currently not in the game. I have late-endgame plans for them. They won't be obtained the same way they are in SM (as in, not through a Z Ring or Z Crystals). 

Also, I mentioned in my last post that Delicia probably wouldn't be getting Alolan Exeggutor due to not being able to have a Harvest Sitrus Berry strategy. I actually learned that Alolan Exeggutor can have Harvest too (I thought its only ability was Frisk), so she will be getting it. 

I think that's everything I was going to mention ^^'

• Upvote 2

which of the starters are you planning to make obtainable outside where you choose your starter in episode 3? i got a charizardite i want to use at some point but i took gible as my starter.

this may be because im too use to reborn and rejuvenation  but i don't like the fact that there is no level caps and for example if say my swablu is level 20 and i face a breeder that's got a level 25 audino i get like a level and a half instantly because they only use healing wish.

but  otherwise im enjoying sport so far only 3 badges in tho

• Global Mods
38 minutes ago, sandy said:

which of the starters are you planning to make obtainable outside where you choose your starter in episode 3? i got a charizardite i want to use at some point but i took gible as my starter.

this may be because im too use to reborn and rejuvenation  but i don't like the fact that there is no level caps and for example if say my swablu is level 20 and i face a breeder that's got a level 25 audino i get like a level and a half instantly because they only use healing wish.

but  otherwise im enjoying sport so far only 3 badges in tho

Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Chimchar, Piplup, and Froakie. Charmander's event will be in episode 5. (Part of Squirtle's event already exists, but can't be completed currently as the player needs Surf for that which will be obtained in ep 3)

I responded to the level cap thought in a previous post where it was suggested: "I've been against using a level cap for Spork since before development started. I also don't think I should include one after an episode of the game has already released, as this could punish players who started before the level cap was implemented if they have Pokemon that would end up being above the level cap. This happened to me in another fangame called Full Moon, which added a level cap after 6 episodes (8 gyms) in. My Pokemon were in the mid-70s when the level cap was added, while the level cap for the 8th gym was either 60 or 65 (I don't remember which). If I ever did decide to include a level cap, I would make it optional."

The breeders are in case people have battled all the available trainers and are still underleveled. After episode 3 is released though there'll be a Legend Mode shortly after, and I'm glad you mentioned breeders since things will probably need to be done with them for Legend Mode, like reducing Audino's EXP, having them putting up a fight instead of only using Healing Wish, or removing them entirely, etc. and I actually hadn't considered that before. I'll bring this up with SPB. 

22 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Chimchar, Piplup, and Froakie. Charmander's event will be in episode 5. (Part of Squirtle's event already exists, but can't be completed currently as the player needs Surf for that which will be obtained in ep 3)

I responded to the level cap thought in a previous post where it was suggested: "I've been against using a level cap for Spork since before development started. I also don't think I should include one after an episode of the game has already released, as this could punish players who started before the level cap was implemented if they have Pokemon that would end up being above the level cap. This happened to me in another fangame called Full Moon, which added a level cap after 6 episodes (8 gyms) in. My Pokemon were in the mid-70s when the level cap was added, while the level cap for the 8th gym was either 60 or 65 (I don't remember which). If I ever did decide to include a level cap, I would make it optional."

The breeders are in case people have battled all the available trainers and are still underleveled. After episode 3 is released though there'll be a Legend Mode shortly after, and I'm glad you mentioned breeders since things will probably need to be done with them for Legend Mode, like reducing Audino's EXP, having them putting up a fight instead of only using Healing Wish, or removing them entirely, etc. and I actually hadn't considered that before. I'll bring this up with SPB. 

to be honest if i was making the game i'd remove them for legend mode and for everything else id make at least one of the audino put up a fight like in rejuvenation, its not my game so just my thought's on the breeders. its been a good game so far keep it up.

Edited by sandy

• Global Mods
9 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Chimchar, Piplup, and Froakie.

I somehow forgot Tepig even though I'm currently working on the part of Virima beyond the bridge where the Tepig are fighting XD

I brought up breeders with SPB. They won't be removed from Legend Mode, but they will have changes both in normal and legend. For both, their levels will be reduced and they'll have moves that can damage the player instead of Healing Wish. In legend mode, the amount of EXP gained from defeating Audino will also be reduced. 

just finished episode 2 and i must say i found it quite enjoyable the music was good also, tho i was i a bit disappointed when i beat dilyan and seen that the episode ended there i thought there was more. something i do need to ask, where are you planning to make surf be required as i currently don't have a water type Pokemon at all. the idea of choose any starter outside of the traditional made spork unique, your ordering of the gym leaders left me baffled as to what type i'd fight next some of them i wasn't expecting early like fire and rock, now waiting patiently for e3

also is it safe to save inside the gtms till the next episode?

Edited by sandy

• Global Mods
10 minutes ago, sandy said:

just finished episode 2 and i must say i found it quite enjoyable the music was good also, tho i was i a bit disappointed when i beat dilyan and seen that the episode ended there i thought there was more. something i do need to ask, where are you planning to make surf be required as i currently don't have a water type Pokemon at all. the idea of choose any starter outside of the traditional made spork unique, your ordering of the gym leaders left me baffled as to what type i'd fight next some of them i wasn't expecting early like fire and rock, now waiting patiently for e3

also is it safe to save inside the gtms till the next episode?

Oh, for HMs in Spork, you won't need to have a Pokemon learn the move, you'll just need to have the HM. Your player character will use the move. The only exception is Fly since there's no overworld obstacle for Fly and it can only be activated from the party screen with a Pokemon that knows it. 

Yes, it's safe to save inside the gyms. 

• Global Mods

As an advance notice, I haven't 100% decided yet, but after the public release of episode 3 it's possible I may take a break before starting episode 4. I was a lot faster with episode 3 than I thought I would be, but I'm burned out from several periods of working on the game nonstop for hours at a time. And episode 4 will have a lot of eventing and mapping, since that's when the Sea Stars are visited and I want their civilization to be massive. 

That being said, I put a lot of effort in episode 3 and I hope people enjoy it when it's ready ^^' I'm currently working on a list of which Gen 7 moves and abilities are in the game (it'll be a notepad file like the marble location list and Pokemon obtainability list) to be ready by public release, and I may also make a TM location list since I'm starting to lose track of where I put them all myself. 

Legend Mode will come out some time after the public release, but I'm not sure when yet. SPB currently doesn't have wifi, so Legend Mode discussion will have to continue once she can use the Internet again. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

As an advance notice, I haven't 100% decided yet, but after the public release of episode 3 it's possible I may take a break before starting episode 4. I was a lot faster with episode 3 than I thought I would be, but I'm burned out from several periods of working on the game nonstop for hours at a time. And episode 4 will have a lot of eventing and mapping, since that's when the Sea Stars are visited and I want their civilization to be massive. 

That being said, I put a lot of effort in episode 3 and I hope people enjoy it when it's ready ^^' I'm currently working on a list of which Gen 7 moves and abilities are in the game (it'll be a notepad file like the marble location list and Pokemon obtainability list) to be ready by public release, and I may also make a TM location list since I'm starting to lose track of where I put them all myself. 

Legend Mode will come out some time after the public release, but I'm not sure when yet. SPB currently doesn't have wifi, so Legend Mode discussion will have to continue once she can use the Internet again. 

You deserve a break from all the hard work you been through. Maybe even a Ice cream break lel. thanks for the cool game you given us

• Upvote 1

erm ICSW? is there any significance to the marbles, i just seem to be randomly picking them up with no clue what they are actually for?, is the plan for this 3 gyms a episode? which would take us to 5 or 6 episodes by the time we can challenge the league

Edited by sandy

• Global Mods
33 minutes ago, sandy said:

erm ICSW? is there any significance to the marbles, i just seem to be randomly picking them up with no clue what they are actually for?, is the plan for this 3 gyms a episode? which would take us to 5 or 6 episodes by the time we can challenge the league

Marbles are part of a sidequest, but you haven't been to the place where they're used yet. 

Episode 3 = 3 gyms, 10 badges total

Episode 4 = 2 gyms, 12 badges total

Episode 5 = 2 gyms, 14 badges total

Episode 6 = 4 gyms, 18 badges total

Episode 7 = E4, Champion, and postgame

• Global Mods
16 minutes ago, alaneapen said:

Where can I find helioptile besides being a starter? Electric types besides mareep are hard to come by

It's not currently obtainable outside the starter event, but will be in an episode 3 area.

There's a notepad file called "obtainablepokemon" in the download folder which lists all the Pokemon obtainable outside their starter event as well as their location. Pokemon not on that list are currently obtainable only as a starter.

• Global Mods
8 hours ago, LemonJones said:

Is the Legend mode something like a higher difficulty thing similar to Intense mode from Rejuvenation? If it is, are we gonna have to start the game all over to enable it? 

It is basically a higher difficulty mode, yes. In Legend Mode, the main (but not only) change is that Gym Leader battles will be like battle facilities in that you won't be able to use items in them and won't gain EXP. I've considered possibly extending this to all boss fights (as in rivals, Portal admins, etc.) too, but that'll have to be discussed once SPB can use the Internet again. It'll be a separate download from the main game, but you won't have to start over, since the game is still Spork, so it uses the same save file on your computer. 

Legend Mode is probably a long way away, though. As mentioned, SPB currently doesn't have Internet access and I don't know when she'll be getting it back. Additionally, I want to give it some time after the release of episode 3 to do Legend Mode. This is in case ep 3 has any bugs that need fixing, since I'd like to only have to upload Legend Mode once for each episode. 

Also, a note about episode 3 public release, since it's been a while since I've mentioned anything: Palletite has been busy with midterms, and so hasn't had much time to work on sprites. It may still take some time for them all to be done. They're definitely worth waiting for, though! :D