Contemplations of Hatred

Shamitako

Alright, hi, before I begin lemme explain a tiny thing about the title. This is still a Lexi Being Lexi post, but I realized a bit late that my use of "debate" in my titles was being taken seriously, whereas I had intended it as a bit of sarcasm. With the realization that sarcasm is universally foolish on the internet, I have chosen to modify my title scheme to be much more straightforward so as not to cause confusing in the future. The goal of these threads is not to argue, it is to spur discussion and create an environment for learning

Now then, onto the topic at hand: Hatred

People love to hate, it almost seems to come as second nature to us. In many cases we are not subject to our emotional whims either, oftentimes hatred is chosen. But one can't help but wonder why we choose to hate. Hatred is never productive, the hatred of others only leads to greater hatred. Hate sows hate sows hate. On and on it goes in an endless cycle of emotional agony. When we choose to hate one another, we do nothing but harm each other

And it is not as though hatred is only harmful to the hated. If anything, it brings greater harm to those who choose to do the hating. It burns inside, tearing one apart with reckless abandon until there is nothing but emptiness and despair

I speak this from experience as one who was once consumed by hatred, it is a source of nothing but pain. My choice to hate others caused me to hurt when they were kind to me. And this only fueled my hatred further, making me wish to hurt them back when they had done nothing wrong. And if they had done wrong to me? I did everything within my limited power to tear them down

I speak of hatred in a fully negative manner, but perhaps I speak in haste? My own mistakes are surely not what defines this world. Perhaps you can find some place in your heart for hatred where it does not bring harm

In short, what are your opinions on hatred? Do you feel as I, that it only tears away? Or do you have a different perspective?

I will speak from my own experience when it comes to hatred: it is so easy for us to choose hatred because it is convenient. For example, it is easier to vehemently despise another person or concept that may act against our views than to look at their opposition and seek ways to better the self.

I used to have an extremely poor relationship with my stepmother because we both had relatively differing views about many facets of life and choose to "break rather than bend". As someone who is particularly strong-willed, I refused to see any error in my reasoning and considered her mentality flawed and frustrating. It was so much easier for me to dismiss her lessons and guidance with the disgust of hatred than to take her criticisms and try to adapt my life based on their truths.

In essence, our fear of change and the unknown are what I believe to be the greatest fuels for hatred.

Oh dear. I just reread this and realized I put on my goddess voice for, like, the entire thing. Sorry that it sounds so pretentious >_<

I'm not a big fan of hatred, and I don't like being angry. I think that's all I need to say

Hatred does not necessarily require anger, it is entirely possible to hate things without feeling any form of hostility towards them. There's a sort of cold, distant hatred that's not all that uncommon

Metacritic gave it a 43/100 do not buy

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/hatred

>_> I want to be mad since this topic is supposed to be serious. But I keep laughing at this <_<

I will speak from my own experience when it comes to hatred: it is so easy for us to choose hatred because it is convenient. For example, it is easier to vehemently despise another person or concept that may act against our views than to look at their opposition and seek ways to better the self.

I used to have an extremely poor relationship with my stepmother because we both had relatively differing views about many facets of life and choose to "break rather than bend". As someone who is particularly strong-willed, I refused to see any error in my reasoning and considered her mentality flawed and frustrating. It was so much easier for me to dismiss her lessons and guidance with the disgust of hatred than to take her criticisms and try to adapt my life based on their truths.

In essence, our fear of change and the unknown are what I believe to be the greatest fuels for hatred.

The fears of change and the unknown seems to fuel a lot of things, don't they?

Hatred does seem to spawn often from the inability to see error in oneself. That's what I make these threads for, after all, to spawn discussion that helps people see each other more clearly

Hatred is may things where it comes from etc... is different for many folks as well. However, I've personally never been one that could ever hold onto it. It always felt heavy to me, at the least the kind towards other people. Because it is a consuming force and not in a good way. It clouds and creates falsehoods within one's being. Much like many other emotions that linger and make us feel things that aren't there. Holding it in, is what makes it fester, wound more deeply. For, if it stays within one's heart and rots, it only causes more pain. Hatred only begets more hatred. It's a force that feeds itself by creating more of itself. Though that is hatred left unchecked it's extreme.

Most hatred that is removed only is temporarily as well, imo. It's only backburnered. Eventually it bubble up and out, coming to an explosive head. Hence why I don't believe in holding that stuff in. We've got too many emotions that when bottled within ourselves violently erupt. We has humans have so many things within us that jsut have the potential to get to a point they boil over. Hatred can easily become this in it's extreme. It can easily boild over and become something much uglier. It can create so many falsehoods in the mind of another and force them more or less into a position where this Hatred just feeds and grows and as it does, consumes more of them.

THough in some sense, it is healthy as well. Not in the consuming variety of course. One could say disliking something is a form of it, a mild one, but one nonetheless. In some regards it's a force that drives. It makes us do things, it's doing the right things that matter with it. Disliking how something oppresses another thing etc... the want to do something about that. Think of it as the good form of anger. anger if we see injustice in the world around us, anger compels us to act. ((in different ways for different people.)) It's more or less using your emotions as a tool, a platform to help understand the world around you, and not letting any single one consume all of your being. It's really just, give and take. Ebb and flow. We need these emotions these feeling because of we have them fro a reason. They teach us and help us grow. Some drive us to do. Others drive us to not act ((such as fear.)) for maybe good reasons. But, we must learn their ebb and their flow as well. There is a time for emotion, and there's a time for that to pass. And, it's learning this that is the key I suppose. It's definitely no easy task but... one that's important to learn I feel. It's different for every single person as well. For some of us, we need to feel some emotions longer, in our own alloted times. Others want to get them over with as soon as they can, etc... We as people jsut need to leanr how, why, and everything else about our emotions so that we can better understand ourselves. Hatred, is one of thsoe things. It's jsut understanding it's importance and the times it does matter, and when it should be let go of. Most hatred should fall to the wayside, and be done away with. But, it sometimes holds valuable lessons, as every aspect of life does if you look in the right places.

As much as I'd like to think I'd never hate another, I know that there are some people that have caught my dislike. Though, I'd never show my hatred to another, and would simply use my kindness to ensure nothing bad happens. Honestly, I've long since just used my narcissism in order to get over my hatred over others.

I will say, I've long since abandoned hating people for extended periods of time, but there are some people I just don't want to like. I'll still give them a kind smile, though, because maybe they'll change. I can only hope, right?

Well, I think in most cases hatred for a person is misguided or unhelpful. People tend to, in large part, be products of their surroundings - but, fortunately, they can change. Actions and ideas, on the other hand, sometimes are deserving of hatred - and that hatred can, in the right circumstances, be worth embracing. That's part of the process of building a better world.

The downside is that it can be difficult to tell which hatred is useful and which is harmful - and the bad kind tends to be at its strongest when you confuse it for something else.

I beg to differ. I personally follow the idea that self-interest is the root of hatred (and evil in general). Fear–specifically cowardice–is merely a symptom of that.

"If you wish to see the brave, look at those who can forgive. If you wish to see the heroic, look to see those who can love in return for hate."

- Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 16, Daivasura–Sampad–Vibhaga yoga (on The Separateness of the Divine and Undivine)

"While contemplating overmuch the material objects of the senses, one develops attachment for them, and from such attachment lust develops, and from lust anger arises. Anger births hatred, hatred engenders delusion, and from delusion springs a bewilderment of memory. When the mind is bewildered, intelligence is lost, and when intelligence is lost one falls down again into the material pool."

- Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 2, Sankhya yoga (on the Science of Doctrines)

"Hatred can never be diminished by hatred, only by kindness. This is eternal."

- Gautama the Buddha

"Strength is life, weakness is death. Expansion is life, contraction is death. Love is life, hatred is death. Do not hate anybody, because that hatred which comes out from you must, in the long run, come back to you. If you love, that love will come back to you, completing the circle."

- Vivekananda

Hatred is a source of draining power. If there is something I absolutly do not wish to be, it is angry and hateful, because is is exhausting.

Hatred is something that everyone should learn to control. It is indeed an powerful emtion, but with that power comes the consequences and I know where it can take you if you let it control you.

"When a man learns to love, he must bear the risk of hatred." - Madara Uchiha

If you're not up to listening to stuff with obvious anime reference in here, I'll suggest turning away right now. Most of this is a means for me to get back to expressive writing, but discussions like these are pretty fun.

Very corny quote from speculatively overrated character and anime aside, true this statement may be to some, moonshine to most, be it any opinion. As a person who indulges in learning and garnering messages from any form of work that screams even the slightest of the word literature, Naruto this obvious anime has given me a very relatable and important message when it comes to hatred. Many a significant character -- particularly antagonists -- have succumbed to hatred, and what I believe an important theme that is delivered through the storyline.

To cut to the chase on my overall thoughts about hate, hatred arises due to loving something -- by loving someone or something one is to risk hating what one used to love itself or others surrounding said target. Love is not limited to affection; interest, passion, anything that inclines you to dedicate yourself to it, anything that screams the word "desire", in particular. All that in itself may pave the way of one's descent into hatred. Of course, that doesn't mean loving is a bad thing -- and most of the hatred I personally believe comes from losing said thing you once loved. In some ways, the quote is correct, in others, it is wrongly phrased. Madara became who he was because he lost his brother, and similarly, Obito's loss of Rin, and Sasuke's loss of his clan -- and subsequently his realization of his brother's true objectives behind his actions -- all led them to be bound by hatred. Realistically speaking, even day-to-day, real-life conflicts can arise out of loving someone or something: virtuous as it is to be spared of the hate that would come, betrayal commonly results in the hate of the people who betrayed you because you loved them and dedicated yourselves to them; even something as mundane as a hobby can lead you to be angst-ridden if you are denied something as a result of it. A lack of achievement? Very harsh critique that says stuff like "ditch what you love, you're terrible at it" ? Heck, even the very prospect of not having something you love while others do -- jealousy being perhaps the more appropriate description here -- can be a stem that blooms into an apple of hatred, threatening to poison whomever that had the guts to bite it.

That all said, in a better way of defining my thoughts towards hate, it comes from the love/affection/passion/desire towards something but losing/not having it and not handling such loss appropriately.

Sure, these characters come from a clan bound by a curse, but it delivers the important message that hatred itself is reminiscent of a curse that one must fight. You don't have a heritage as an excuse in this context. You either fight your way out and handle loss appropriately or succumb to the curse that is hatred and become a monster in the process. It's inevitable that everyone has hated once in their life; be it a second, a minute, a lifetime, it all varies. Long-term hate generally makes your life nothing but miserable unless you find pleasure in destroying the thing you hate, which, even then -- would that actually solve the problem? Would that satisfaction be worth the loads of time you wasted on hating something or some person?

Relating to these characters I was a Madara/Tobi/Sasuke once. I succumbed to hate as a result of the loss/betrayal of a person I thought I genuinely loved and became an absurdly bitter person for almost two years until I actually had the inclination to look for bonds and consulted counselling. I was so stuck up that I rejected all friendship and family bonds and practically was...well, alone. That loss led me to hating bonds and everything close so much that it made most of my early teenage days a living hell.

But at the same time, maybe it's only by actually hating something that we learn not to harbor it, much like every lesson we learn in life through experience. Going through all I've been, I consider myself a person that's very difficult to arise hate in -- albeit a person that easily elicits hate and disdain in others -- as of the past 2-3 years. Overcoming it comes to self-realization and acceptance of the foreign. It can be bliss to let go of dislike towards something and learn to accept it; bliss to let go of what otherwise would only intoxicate and destroy yourself.

hate/dislike as an emotion is as important as any other emotion and works like any other emotion; having too much is bad, but having none is not healthy either

i could be all profound and be all like "hatred ruins the man" but nah

Edited by Nyalicirno

i dont super duper hate many people i just enjoy being a complete cunt to anybody i dislike

i only really really hate 1 person but thats probably because he used to be my best friend?? its so intense i hope he has a horrible horrible life or just straight up dies. whenever i hear his name i get fucking pissed even if its not about him (like my cousins name is jimmy too but i still get angry as fuck)

p sure hate is healthy/natural unless youre some edgy piece of shit whos like "haha i hate everybody xD i only tolerate my friends!!!"

being an asshole to people i hate/dislike always makes me feel better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So far, hatred towards a person has brought me nothing but pain.

It even fueled my self-loathing in a way because deep down, I don't really want to feel such negative emotions towards other people.

Hating on subjects which are just ludicrous, brain-dead, and plain stupid is something I actually enjoy doing. >:3

Hatred towards something or someone carries the connotation that you still care about it or them, sometimes i just take the apathetic approach instead rather than wasting my energy on something repugnant to me, alternatively i channel the energy towards something more meaningful to myself, it is actually a drive to make something out of myself.

Hate is often seen as a powerful, negative force, but it certainly does not have to be so, as it can be a strong, character-building force for a person. As with any emotion emitted towards another, any person may perceive and respond to it in a different fashion from the next. And this is a rather important point specifically on the subject of hatred, because while most are wounded or pained by hatred, there are those who are forged under its influences and grow stronger from it. The ability to survive and adapt in the face of absolute adversity in its rawest form- hatred- is invaluable. It is unreasoning, unrelenting, and often illogical and rooted in misconceptions, but true hate will not waver in the face of a well constructed argument because the person emitting the hate, the "hater," refuses to give into what they perceive as wrong, so the ability to triumph over this adversity and hatred is what can truly separate those who can change the world from those who would crumble in the face of the hatred they will inevitably encounter. By forcing one's self to endure and triumph over hatred, they will, in time, grow in strength and be able to more easily rise to life's challenges.

and now if you try to argue with me, I'll just say you're hating be being illogical and unrelenting lol

"Anger is mankind's greatest enemy."

- One of Yudhistira's responses to the Yaksha Prasnas, excerpt from the Mahabharata

"The mind must be the seat of intelligence not of passion. If your knowledge commands you to use anger, then use it, but anger cannot seize hold of your actions and dictate your thoughts."

- Vishnugupta (Chanakya the strategist, author of the Arthashastra)

I'm starting to think that some of us have different definitions of it. I define hatred as the desire that someone suffer; no one should have to suffer, whether they deserve it or not (although I myself should be willing to suffer). That's why I consider it inherently wrong. An eye for an eye doesn't solve anything.

It's separate from wrath, which, in the end, boils down to disapproval. I, for one, used to hate everyone who intentionally made my life difficult/painful, then humanity in general, but then I realized that I was at fault for some of the things I hated them for (at around the time middle school began). Even though most of the things that I was aware I did wrong amounted to meek attempts to satisfy my pride (which I didn't condemn as an emotion 'til a few years later), I never hesitated to act upon hatred (or other emotions, for that matter); the only reason I ever stopped acting on it was because I deemed it either inherently wrong (at which point I refused to hate anyone, because if the desire for others to suffer isn't the epitome of evil, I don't know what is) or a waste of effort.

Edited by Truly Deceptive

• 4 weeks later...

I think people hate out of fear of what they don't know or understand.

They grow up being taught and thinking a certain way, so when someone different comes by they're like "Wait a minute. That's not what I was taught. That's wrong!" and so they hate the other person.

I think that's really dumb tbh. I wouldn't care, but people are actually being killed because they don't suit someone's standards.

I think we all need to start raising our children to think for themselves, and to teach them that there are different people and perspectives, but that doesn't make them wrong. Hate is taught. There is no gene in our DNA that tells us we're going to be bigots.