So who wants to make a wiki?

AiedailEclipsed

• Supporter

To jump straight to the point, I've been working on a Reborn wiki as a semi-personal project. I plan to open this up to the public soon (right now, only people with accounts can edit/view), but lately things have been moving very slow due to real life craziness and other projects taking precedence. Right now, I'm going through and creating a lot of documentation pages for the various templates that make the wiki pretty and whatnot. I've also started uploading some images, but not many (started the bag sprites). Part of my plan is to create an exported file of templates, documentation, example pages, etc that any other fangame can use to jump-start their own personal wiki. I've already talked to Ame and she's okay with this proceeding in whatever manner it does, whether it be a community project or something I do alone.

Anywho, I'll be taking care of all the background details for the server/hosting and whatnot, but I am interested in seeing if anyone from the community wants to take more active roles with editing, administration, etc. I don't want to be the one man wiki team -- though I will if there's isn't interest in the project. My basic goals for the wiki are as follows:

• Location pages for major areas, with listings for trainer battles & encounterable Pokémon and for items found in the area.
  • A listing for event Pokémon, the general area to find them, etc.
  • A listing for items & the general area to find them. Also, a page for the custom Reborn items.
  • Character pages with Pokémon party details, plot info, etc.
  • Pages for the field effects.
  • An interactive map of the Reborn region (click the general area to bring you to the location page).
This is the part where I open the field to you guys. What would you want to see on here, if anything besides what I listed? Is there any content that you wouldn't want to see? What sort of rules do you think should be enforced? What level of "discussion" should be allowed (eg: should people be able to use the talk pages to discuss the content itself, or just ask questions related to how the wiki itself operates ["How do I use this template?"], or something else entirely)?

Some of my basic ideas for rules/policies:

• Content discussion should be kept to the forum, technical questions could either be emailed to a wiki staff person, somewhere on the forum (which we'd need to talk to the staff about), or on the talk pages.
  • The wiki could be locked to editing for a set period of time immediately following an episode release in order to keep things as spoiler free as possible.
  • I'm kind of ambivalent on something like in-depth guides on how to solve the puzzles or a general walkthrough being on the wiki. I'd probably leave that up to ya'll. One way that we could do this is to not allow guides until after the full game has been released.
Well. That's it pretty much. I will close the thread by reiterating that I am perfectly happy to continue this project solo, because I'm kind of nerdy and like having documentation like this (yes... I collect the game guides). So, think about the questions that I posed above and post your thoughts! If anyone is interested in helping out immediately, let me know and we can see what we can do. :)

While I'm personally not going to contribute to this, as I just don't have the time to.

My advice is to focus on the things we don't already have on the forums. We already have an item guide, pokemon location guide, puzzle guide and so on here, so these shouldn't be your top priority. Really I think the thing that you could do on a wiki that would give people a reason to use it is your 4th point about character detail pages with teams and plot points.

Because being realistic, your wiki is never going to be the primary source of information about Reborn. People are going to come to the forums first are foremost to access information from a wide range of active community members. So I'd encourage you to find things that are better suited to a wiki format, one of those things being the character pages.

Making this wiki is going to be an enormous amount of work on your part, but if you dedicate yourself to it, more power to you!

It's a great idea and I love it. A wiki is a much better place than the forum to look for information about the game than the forum, where finding what you need is not that straightforward.

I would probably enter the wiki once in a while and help adding some page or missing info, but I don't think I'll have time to be really active. University takes too much time from me.

I might cite similar reasons as Michael, but I invariably seem to arrive late to the scene and have my arguments poached :]

In any case, I will be unable to contribute to this idea because I frankly already have much on my plate, and will not be having anynless to deal with in the conceivable future.

However, I agree that a wiki is not only redundant in such a broad or expansive aspect (as the forums provide live answers, and item and puzzle giudes exist already in great detail) but the concept of a wiki might throw off the 'aura' of the game, as you call it.

Reborn is aimed at being an experience, not just another Pokémon game to grind through. I'm not discrediting your idea, merely offering my view that to walk people through this, and by that I mean the general public, not even account holders (as is plenty of people make a temp account to ask one question and poof) is, in my opinion, not the way Reborn is to be enjoyed optimally.

Sure, people eventually learn about the game and know it like the backs of their hands, but the joy of Reborn is also in interacting with the community who worked to make it happen. I suggest the idea be toned down a little in scale, and deal with character appraisals as pointed out, or with specific gym battle discussions, tactics scales and the map, if you wish to truly aid the challenger and yet maintain something which is not already in existence.

That's my two cents' worth, of course. I wish you success in all your endeavours.

Contrary to how some people here believe a wiki would only hinder newcomers from engaging with the community, i beg to differ.

I mean sure these people are less likely to be on the forums, but this means these new people might help out with the wiki, and such a wiki provides comfort knowing that there is a reliable way of knowing information and an easy to navigate information system that has many tools, rather than having to search through a forum cluttered and information you really have to look for.

that being said, i would love to help with a wiki! im just not good with much tho :/ But i do know a fair amount of the game itself and would be happy to help ^-^

I do like the idea for a wiki when it comes to the lore of the game.

I think I've said it before on a similar thread, but I can easily see the advantage of being able to look up stuff about characters and locations on a wiki. It can be really helpful to people who may have missed or forgotten about something story-related, and would like to brush up on their knowledge again.

I personally am not sure if I'd want to contribute directly by writing any articles, but I'd be more than happy to look over articles and point out any issues I might find.

It's no secret that I'm really into analyzing characters, and I believe I could be a help to whoever is looking to write about them.

...Or some of them anyway. I don't have a deep interest in every single character in the game, and have to admit that I'd struggle much more with describing, say, Adrienn or Luna, than any of my faves.

tl;dr I can tell you a lot about some characters if you give me prompts, but I don't think I'm good at putting things into wiki article format.

I'd love to see a wiki, since my first few encounters with Reborn's item/event guides was a little rocky, since I accidentally stumbled upon one of the outdated ones. I'd probably be able to throw some points in here and there, and would wholly support a project like this.

I think I have to clarify my point. I was never against the wiki as a concept, merely advising an adaptation of it on a more compact scale, since the puzzle and item guides exist. Of course, if you truly wish for a comprehensive wiki then you could always incorporate the exiting guides into it, to gather everything in one place and save you trouble, for yes, it will help a new member or general public to gather the necessary information better. While I can't yet afford assistance, you do have my moral support for what it's worth.

Once again, all the very best!

• Supporter

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone and for the advice from Viridescent & mde!

While I can't say I agree on some of the points that you brought up, I don't want this to become an argument on the merits of a wiki. I don't want this to be about replacing functionality of the forum, rather I want it about being able to bring the community closer together through utilizing and communally owning a source of information. This also presents opportunities for information to be presented in new ways. In short, I think you'll be surprised by what a wiki can be used to accomplish versus a forum.

I'll definitely be posting links to the wiki and a "getting started" guide whenever I finish up with the template documentation, so hopefully sometime before the end of the month.

Edit: Thank you for the link Arkhi! I've already found that one and another, but thanks none the less. I've considered some of the arguments set forth in there, but have decided to continue on regardless. Thanks again!

Edited by AiedailEclipsed

I'm kind with mde here in that I won't participate in making a wiki, but I'm not against it. We also have a TVtropes, but a wiki is a lot more work. We're more of a community so even if I tried, I'd be on a two front war probably abandoning the wiki given I try to post in the community every other day (I also do other stuff too so it'd just pile up). There's also a reddit as well, but you might not have known that.

Just a heads up, that the community is always going to outclass anything someone else does as we have a troubleshooter thread, tons of guides by different users who many are still around, Reborn experts who can help and give good advice, as well as just being able to talk casually around here if we feel like it. That also means we can fudge around the details and extra stuff vs a wiki page which is really all someone is going to see.

The most important thing is to give credit to Ame and her team since they're the ones who worked on this as well as a link to the site. I mean battle info and character pages would be nice, but it just grinds down to what people want to spend time on.

I guess I could help out with a Wiki, seeing how I'm already doing a full game guide,,,

But yeah, I agree a lot with Commander in his post above. Making it will be quite a bit of work, and the forums already has a lot of information, although it definitely will be helpful to see what Pokemon, Items, etc. are in a specific area in an easy format and in depth descriptions of characters and areas.

This idea has been discussed quite a few times, but you seem to be dedicated to it, so this might actually become a thing, for once~

• Support Squad

Hey! I've never really been active on this forum but I actually did start up a wiki for the game on here if you wanna check it out :)

http://pokemon-reborn.wikia.com/

Haven't updated it in a while, and there's still A LOT left to do but if everyone contributed a little bit whenever they got the chance, think we could make a really good resource.