Welcome, nerds. Let's do math/s.

If you're looking for help with some math problem(s) or... something pertaining to mathematics, post it here. You don't need to list what level of mathematics it is, though labeling a problem as such can help narrow down who is capable of helping best. Necroposting shouldn't be an issue, so feel free to post here whenever. Avoid double-posting- an exception is made if there's been 24 hours between a post you made and another one you'd like to make.

Preferably, the questions will be serious, but do whatever you please.

1 2 3 go!

Hey Arkhi I'm having a major problem with some mathematics. I've been wracking my brain over and over and it even has scientists baffled.
It's a problem that's been plaguing my life since I was first introduced to the mere concept of math.
Arkhi... buddy, friend pal chum...
What is the answer when you take two and add another two?

hey there buddy chum pal friend buddy pal chum bud friend fella bruther amigo pal buddy friend chummy chum chum pal

According to the techniques employed by Bobobo, there is a 90% probability of the answer being 7, a 10% chance of the answer being 6, and a 100% chance of the answer being 4.

Can you help me with this one? It baffles me constantly and I'm sure only a master mathematician like yourself can figure it out.

QTπ=U

I'm afraid those two terms aren't equivalent less than fraction bar three

Hey Arkhi I'm having a major problem with some mathematics. I've been wracking my brain over and over and it even has scientists baffled.

It's a problem that's been plaguing my life since I was first introduced to the mere concept of math.

Arkhi... buddy, friend pal chum...

hey there buddy chum pal friend buddy pal chum bud friend fella bruther amigo pal buddy friend chummy chum chum pal

According to the techniques employed by Bobobo, there is a 90% probability of the answer being 7, a 10% chance of the answer being 6, and a 100% chance of the answer being 4.

Wait Professor Arki sir, I though there was a good possibility of the answer being fish. Could you please grant me your insight and wisdom to understand how fish is not a viable answer for Roxie's challenging query?

Wait Professor Arki sir, I though there was a good possibility of the answer being fish. Could you please grant me your insight and wisdom to understand how fish is not a viable answer for Roxie's challenging query?

i is an imaginary number and fish has an i in it.

Imaginary numbers don't exist.

Thus, fish is not a real answer.

OOOOOOOOOOOH, I understand now! That's why 7 and 7 cannot equal a triangle, right?

Contrary to popular belief, 7 and 7 may equal a triangle- if you have three 7s- one for each side of the triangle- you have 21, and 21 is legal. So you can have a triangle made of 7s.

But, can 3 and 3 equal 8?

Ok but 1+1=Window right? Because I'm just trying to find a window into your heart.

Less than three

Also, this is one of the search results for "Love calculator", imagine I had Photoshop, experience, and fixed this to say "Tacos" and "Arkhi"

love_calculator.jpg

trying to integrate −2ln(2x+1)dx and after doing IBP i get -x^2ln(2x+1) - int(-x^2/2x+1) which makes me sad

Based on that you're using the wrong u and dv. u=ln(2x+1), dv=dx, carry the -2 out of the integral.

No. You're definitely missing an ln there.

This step is right

xln(2x+1) - int(2xdx/(2x+1))

Next step is to u-sub with 2x+1=u, u-1=2x, dx=du/2

xln(2x+1)-.5*int((u-1)du/u)=xln(2x+1)-.5*int(du)-.5*int(-du/u)

Which goes to

xln(2x+1)-.5*u+.5*ln(u)=xln(2x+1)-.5*(2x+1)+.5*ln(2x+1)

Which then goes to

(x+.5)(ln(2x+1)-1)

Multiply out the -2 we took out the integral and add the C

-(2x+1)(ln(2x+1)-1)+C

Hey guys, so I need help with some pre-calculus problems. Bear with me, it's a lot of problems, but I really need help, so without further ado, here they are:

On problem 45, you have to find all solutions of the equation in the interval [0, 2π). This is the problem

cos 4x (cos x-1) = 0

On problem 47, you have to use inverse functions where needed to find all solutions of the equation in the interval [0, 2π).

sin2x - 2 sin x = 0

On problem 51 and 53, you have to find the exact value of the sine, cosine, and tangent of the angle by using a sum or difference formula.

51) 285°= 315°-30°

53) 25π/12 = 11π/6 + π/4

On problem 69, you have to use double-angle formulas to verify the identity algebraically and use a graphing utility to confirm it graphically.

sin 4x = 8 cos3x sin x - 4 cos x sin x

​On problem 79 and 81, you have to use the half-angle formulas to determine the exact values of the sine, cosine, and tangent of the angle.

79) - 75°

81) 19π/12

​On problem 83, you have to use half-angle formulas to simplify the expression

- √1 + cos 10x /2

That is all the problems I needed help on. Thanks for taking the time to read these and I hope you could help out in some way! :)

Edited by Cool Girl

45) (cos4x)(cosx -1)=0

Therefore cos4x=0 or cosx=1

If the former,

4x=π/2 or 4x=3π/2

x=π/8 or 3π/8. Therefore, {x=kπ/8 |k=2n+1|n is an integer in [0,3]} or, x=0, 2π (for when cosx=1).

47) sin2x -2*sinx=0

sinx(sinx-2)=0

sinx=0 when x=0 or 2π

sinx cannot equal 2

'Nuff said.

51 and 53 are self-explanatory. You have all the sums and differences there so the best thing to do is use the formulae. Plug and chug. All of those are variants of 45 and 30 degrees.

69)

sin4x=8cos3xsinx-4cosxsinx

=4cosxsinx(2cos3x-1)

The first part equals 2sin2x, the second equals cos2x

=2sin2xcos2x=sin4x

79) I'll just give you the hint that 75=150/2

81) 19π/12=(19π/6)/2

83) That is literally the half angle formula for cosx except x is replaced with 10x, so it's equal to cos5x.

Happy math-ing~

Are people taking this thread seriously? I hope people are taking this thread seriously...

jz6vPkt.jpg

I think the answer to B, part (i) is

3a^2 = 6ax + c ,

but I'm not 100% sure. As for part (ii), I have no idea what I'm doing.

Since it's only worth 1 mark, it must be fairly simple, but I must just be missing the point. Any help?

Hiss answers math problems. I has hijacked this thread.

For b(i)

y'=6x

so, using Point-slope form:

(y-3a2)=6a(x-a)

y-3a2=6ax-6a2

Tangent: y=6ax+3a2

For b(ii)

Plug (0,-12) into that tangent line equation

Edited by Hiss13

Oooooh Maths thread, why didn't i see this earlier??

Ok Spine, here goes

You have y - 3x^2

Slope of a tangent = dy = 6x
dx

Therefore, slope at the given point = 6(a) = 6a

Equation of a line can be written as y = mx + c

We know that m = slope = 6a

So y = 6ax + c

In order to find the value of c, we use the fact that the point (a,3a^2) lies on the line. So substituting the point into the line equation,

3a^2 = 6a^2 + c which gives us c = -3a^2

So the required equation is

y = 3ax - 3a^2

As for the second part, we just substitute the point (0,-12) into the above line equation.

So,

-12 = 3a(0) -3a^2

So we get a^2 = 4 So a = 2 or -2

And that's about it. I hope the solution is clear enough.

Edit : Hiss is super ninja

Edited by Dhanush D Bhatt