Praise The Sun... and Moon - Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon

Godot

My idea is of Grass/Rock, Fire/Poison and Water/Fighting. Each could also have hidden abilities that aided them defensively or offensively against the other: Grass/Rock Elephant, maybe, with Solid Rock; Fire/Poison Newt with Water Absorb; and a Water/Fighting Wrasse (we've never had a fish starter yet) with Mold Breaker so it can shit on the other two despite their abilities. We can dream, right?

Likely as not, though, we'll just end up with another toad, small fiery mammal, and nondescript reptile as our starters.

I'm glad the names are something other than letters, I was afraid they were gonna run out of name ideas. What would the third game (if any) be called? Eclipse?

Quite excited for this but I will have to preorder it if I want to play it by Christmas

They could go for one of the following:

Pokemon Earth

Pokemon Black Hole

Pokemon Eclipse (although I think this will be the main theme of these 2 games - one team in favor and one against - )

Pokemon Universe

I don't think they're going to do anymore third games that combine the two anymore. I mean, we never got a Pokemon Z for gen 6 now did we? And there was really no reason whatsoever for them to remake Emerald as OR and AS fulfilled the job that the original Emerald did and much more efficiently. I'm not going to get my hopes up with the idea of a Pokemon Eclipse or what have you.

They could go for one of the following:

Pokemon Earth

Pokemon Black Hole

Pokemon Eclipse (although I think this will be the main theme of these 2 games - one team in favor and one against - )

Pokemon Universe

And I know it's just you snowballing ideas there Nick, but that seems like a very "big ending" title to a series. I doubt with how popular Pokemon is that its going to end anytime soon.

I don't think they're going to do anymore third games that combine the two anymore. I mean, we never got a Pokemon Z for gen 6 now did we? And there was really no reason whatsoever for them to remake Emerald as OR and AS fulfilled the job that the original Emerald did and much more efficiently. I'm not going to get my hopes up with the idea of a Pokemon Eclipse or what have you.

And I know it's just you snowballing ideas there Nick, but that seems like a very "big ending" title to a series. I doubt with how popular Pokemon is that its going to end anytime soon.

Or maybe we're not getting Z because they realized they failed hard with Kalos and the anime already spoiled whatever game they'd make for Zygarde :ph34r:

I'm still supporting the possibility that sun moon is a dual region that returns to kalos for postgame. That Kalos could be a sequel or prequel and tie up the xy story better

We could also always get a game or games after sunmoon that belong to Kalos. They've been sayin they're always trying to give us things we wouldn't expect to get when looking at the usual pattern so who knows

I know it's a "strong title" but the company left the simple concepts of colours, gems and letters for celestial objects and it's steadily running out of "bigger" myths to exploit. The only thing growing strong is the metagame, and even there, the options are limited as of now, because of the mega evolution mechanic. My only hope is that S&M showers us with >40 megas to use.

Like Mega Magnezone!

I'd just be happy if they brought back mechanics like walking Pokémon and an easier way to find good IVs on Pokémon, like the DexNav in ORAS.

I want my Almighty Dinosaurian Time God walking behind me and accepting cupcakes from my hand... In 3D!

That's rather unlikely, I'm afraid. The closest thing we had to 'fairness' in starter typing was Gen4, when each final stage starter had a typing that gave it an advantage and a disadvantage againts the other two:

Infernape: Fire/Fighting: Can hit Torterra and Empoleon super effectively with its first and second STABs, but is weak to their own Ground and Water typings.

Empoleon: Steel typing negates the effectiveness of Grass and can hit Infernape with Water moves and, to compensate for the lack of type advantage, can hit Torterra x4 with Ice moves.

Torterra: EARTHQUAKE BOTH!

And then Gen6 gave us the most 'unfair' starters type-wise, where each was at the mercy of its superior type not just on account of their primary typing but also their secondary ones. (Though the frog was blatantly borked)

I'd wager we get something like this:

Grass/Rock, Fire/Poison and Water/Fighting

That's cool. But Grass/bug is so bad, it'll be a worse choice than Meganium! How about this:

Grass/Fairy

Fire/Poison

Water/Ground

Better defensive typings, and although we have enough water/grounds, having one more is never a bad idea! They're all x4 weak to the next one in some way, and they could all learn moves that helped them deal with it:

Water/Ground: can learn Ice moves

Fire/Poison: can learn Grass Knot or Energy Ball

Grass/Fairy: can learn Psyshock and Psychic

Edited by Viridescent

Cool! Mindless speculation!

A lot of the buzz I've heard going around is the prospect of a Grass/Flying starter. Looking at the distribution of roles Grass starters have played:

Venusaur - Defensive (or Offensive with Chlorophyll or an offensive Mega build)

Meganium - Defensive

Sceptile - Offensive

Torterra - Defensive (Only Offensive with boosting moves)

Serperior - Offensive

Chesnaught - Defensive (although, with boosting moves it's pretty ambidextrous. Nick, why do you hate Grass/Fighting man. This pokemon is the best.)

...we get a very weak defensive type that favors playing defense... only slightly. The only Grass/Flying Pokemon that exists is Tropius, a 'mon that is all about defense despite not having a solid type - or I guess....Shaymin, a mythical pokemon that is an event distribution 'mon. If the starter is Grass/Flying however, I would expect a little bit of the continued efforts at role-equality with this type, and we'd get an offensive Pokemon - and I'm anticipating it to be a special attacker in the same vein as Shaymin.

Water/Fighting seems like a safe bet because we've had a Fighting type starter ever since Gen III (Fire/Fighting, Fire/Fighting, Fire/Fighting, Grass/Fighting) - and when the game's combat system is the most important part of the game's make-up, I would expect Game Freak to try and round out the starting types by offering Water it's first fighting type over avoiding putting it anywhere on the starter board. I would expect this Pokemon to be a Physical attacker in the same vein as Poliwrath becuase....I have a hunch most Fighting type pokemon lean physical - and this thing isn't Keldeo. (it certainly might learn Special moves and suffer Totodile Learn-Set Syndrome though.)

Fire is where it gets really interesting. Running with the Chinese zodiac theme I'm going to say that we're looking at a Tiger. Why? Because everyone and their mother is assuming we're getting a Ram or Ox and if the game -is- indeed going back to the Asian roots Japan has, Tiger is a significant pokemon that is significantly underrepresented while beasts of burden (Tauros, Miltank, Bouffalant) are represented already - while Ram sees the Goat-based Skiddo line as a close relative.

Tigers are...rather rare sights. Since we've already used the Fighting sub-type, it really could be anything.

The closest thing to a Tiger pokemon is Raikou - the Legendary dog. It's an Electric type Pokemon, and Fire/Electric is a type that isn't introduced quite yet. The resulting Pokemon is a status condition user's worse nightmare. The two most devastating statuses in the metagame are burns and paralysis - because there are multiple moves that cause both statuses and they actually lower critical stats - but with this typing, the Pokemon is immune to both of them. This leaves me to think that if it is something crazy like that - it would be a defensive Pokemon that dishes out those same statuses - and would be a special attacker if needed.

So there you have it, a Special attacking pokemon that will be mitigates it's rock weakness but incurs a 4x weakness to Ice, a physical attacking fighting type paired with the remaining unrepresented starting type, and some super weird defensive pokemon with a really unique typing.

• Global Mods

...we get a very weak defensive type that favors playing defense... only slightly. The only Grass/Flying Pokemon that exists is Tropius, a 'mon that is all about defense despite not having a solid type - or I guess....Shaymin, a mythical pokemon that is an event distribution 'mon. If the starter is Grass/Flying however, I would expect a little bit of the continued efforts at role-equality with this type, and we'd get an offensive Pokemon - and I'm anticipating it to be a special attacker in the same vein as Shaymin.

There's also Jumpluff.

Give Water/Bug pls. No seriously, offensively this type combination is a Water type that kills Grass and a Bug type that kills Rock and Fire. The only pokemon that resist the dual STAB are water types that resist bug. Stuff like Tentacruel, Empoleon, and Gyarados. That's pretty damn good coverage on two STAB moves. Defensively it's also pretty cool, boasting resistances to Fighting, Ground, Steel, Water, and Ice while only weak to Flying, Rock, and Electric. Notably it's a Water type that isn't weak to Grass and a Bug type that isn't weak to Fire.

Give Water/Bug pls. No seriously, offensively this type combination is a Water type that kills Grass and a Bug type that kills Rock and Fire. The only pokemon that resist the dual STAB are water types that resist bug. Stuff like Tentacruel, Empoleon, and Gyarados. That's pretty damn good coverage on two STAB moves. Defensively it's also pretty cool, boasting resistances to Fighting, Ground, Steel, Water, and Ice while only weak to Flying, Rock, and Electric. Notably it's a Water type that isn't weak to Grass and a Bug type that isn't weak to Fire.

Mega Masquerain pls

I don't think there will be a fairy starter in the next generation, because fairy still seems to be something new and special in my opinion, so it wouldn't be equal to the other starters. Same with the dragon type I think, it is not new, but will always be a special thing.

I would really like a grass/flying pokemon. There are only Shaymin, Tropius and the Hoppip line. That is not much and none of them is a bird, so there is enough space for a leaf or flower bird. That would be really nice and I'm wondering why it doesn't already exist.

I also very like the water/bug idea. For the fire starter, I would like poison or ghost. (I wonder if there would ever be a fire/ice pokemon. But since we got Volcanion... Everything is possible...)

But pure typings are boring! Only Blastoise and Feraligatr pulled it off properly, and that's because mono-water is an excellent typing.

Yeah, mindless speculation it may be, but it is fun to dream. I'd seriously bet for Water/Fighting, though, as stated earlier, since we need more Keldeo/Poliwrath clones.

I actually had a nifty idea about a Water/Bug mantis shrimp Pokemon, but I don't know if they'll ever make a Bug type starter. Starters as a rule are all reptilian/amphibian, mammalian or avian, in that order of numbers. We've never seen an invertebrate or fish as a starter; those are usually given their own spots, since every region has its clichéd early-route rodent, bird, bug and fish. That said, I do like the prospect of innovation in giving us, I don't know, a fighting fish maybe? Wrasscal the Fighting Fish Pokemon?

Edited by Viridescent