Pokemon 20th anniversary vids

Monochrome_Complex

Rock and Steel have potential to make a good video. Especially Steel, since it currently is the most diverse typing. I have to agree that Electric was so full of Pikaclones it didn't do justice to the type. A game franchise definitely doesn't want to make one of the most devastating offensive types only link to the mascots. Ground was a fun ride, but I was expecting Golurk and Garchomp to appear at some point like guardians to Groudon's cave.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the fighting and the fairy type vid

the ghost type one was cute for a bit until they decided to put in a really creepy banette and mega banette that looked really realistic the purpley pink bits from regular mega banette were made into flesh for the realistic one very creepy.

Rock and Steel have potential to make a good video. Especially Steel, since it currently is the most diverse typing. I have to agree that Electric was so full of Pikaclones it didn't do justice to the type. A game franchise definitely doesn't want to make one of the most devastating offensive types only link to the mascots. Ground was a fun ride, but I was expecting Golurk and Garchomp to appear at some point like guardians to Groudon's cave.

I think they only put pokemon in the video of only one of their typings, not sure how they choose, but iirc golurk was in the ghost video already. Maybe they choose based on which type has generally less pokemon, hence why Garchomp will be saved for dragon?

As for the ghost video, it was never meant to be cute.. all the ghost mon were depicted as per their dex entries which are creepy and disturbing :ph34r: the mega banette was quite disturbing tho. The psychic video also depicted some very creepy dex entries

Edited by Masquerain

It was a good move on their part to divide them so some types don't seem to lack pokemon, but the Ground video took place in the desert and included the cave of origin, which has a deep connection to eerie and mystical and afterlife elements. Thematically both the Land-Shark and Ancient-Guardian pokemon could fit.

Ghost was as creepy as it should. Banette was spot on, and spent more time visualising the pokedex entries, things that few people read.

The mega-banette was the best part of the ghost vid.

Hmmm yeah electric wasn't my favorite, but it was cute as a love letter to the creators of pokemon itself, being done in the style of a credits roll. The music didn't go all that well I thought, whereas with say, the psychic or poison vid the visuals play off the music perfectly.

As for the new videos,

Electric: While it didn't do the type justice, it was cute and I really liked the retro Gameboy references and the Thank You! parts. (Pulseman FTW!)

Ground: Another nice, scary video, only nitpick I have would be Donphan's entrance as I feel it wouldn't attack the drivers.

Ice: I didn't really like this one because of the icey fog making the pokemon and people harder to see.

Rock: Nice Jurassic Park references but like the Electric video there was a little to much emphasis on the fossil pokemon.

Rock had so much more to use: Terrakion, Carbink, Aggron, Corsola, Lunatone and Solrock...

Used in previous videos or saved for steel (I remember corsola, lunatone and solrock at least, no memory of carbink but it was probably in the fairy video because fairies are scarce too still) As far as I know, the person making these doesn't reuse pokemon for different videos if they have a dual type, they just pick one of the types and place the mon in the video for that type

Are you sure? I remember the Barbaracle line reused in the Fresh-Water video, and Shellos in both Sea-Water and lots of it in Ground. So they definitely reuse some pokemon. The celestial rocks did not fit with this Jurassic Park theme, but Aggron did, especially since Steel has lots of pokemon to use.

Still, if they decide to stick to that rule every other video, in Dragon we may not see Kyurem, Flygon, but have a better glimpse at Garchomp (since it wasn't in Ground), the Kyurem fusions and... Zygarde forms (except for the dog).

Most of those are pretty cool, but... It's just my luck, isn't it? That out of all of them, the one with my favorite Pokemon would be the worst.

The very beginning was animated, but then it just became a fanart slideshow.

Steel will be glorious. I see a distinct lack of steels in the other videos; Heatran made an appearance in Fire, Excadrill in Ground and Jirachi in Psychic, but nothing notable anywhere else. Magnemite showed up in Electric, but the Lord Magnezone, along with other notable mons like Scizor, Empoleon, Ferrothorn and Genesect, are bound to appear in Steel, since they had not appeared in their other-tyoe videos.

Are you sure? I remember the Barbaracle line reused in the Fresh-Water video, and Shellos in both Sea-Water and lots of it in Ground. So they definitely reuse some pokemon. The celestial rocks did not fit with this Jurassic Park theme, but Aggron did, especially since Steel has lots of pokemon to use.

Still, if they decide to stick to that rule every other video, in Dragon we may not see Kyurem, Flygon, but have a better glimpse at Garchomp (since it wasn't in Ground), the Kyurem fusions and... Zygarde forms (except for the dog).

Wellp, no I'm not sure, but sometimes it's only the pre-evo or the evo that's used for 1 and the other for another ( I recall sneasel for dark and weavile for ice) but I'm not sure. Have to rewatch the water ones I guess.. Maybe water is an exception since there are a sh*tton of them so they reused 'em for other vids?

EDIt: saw freshwater again, and yeah, only binacle was there. Barbaracle was left for rock video . Shellos blue was in the seawater video, Gastrodon was left for ground I guess? They may reuse some things anyway because dragons aren't too many but we'll see

Edited by Masquerain

That's the only reason why Gabite appeared in ground and not Garchomp, and how Magnemite appeared in Electric but not Magnezone yet. Mega Venusaur showed up for Poison, I think, but only regular Venusaur appeared in Grass, if I remember aright.

Updated, ice, rock, and steel into the OP. Steel is badass, better than ice and rock for sure. apparently we're getting a second normal one next. I figured we'd get dragon but I guess they really wanted to show arceus and regigigas proper due.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

Ice wasn't terrible - but I guess they didn't put much effort as much as the other one :(

I was hoping they would use something else than the Dark Cave music (cuz I'm not a huge fan of it) but oh well

^Yeah I was a bit disappointed in it as well. A remix of the sinnoh snow route + slateport city as the music set to a christmas visual theme would've been betterfor ice pokemon. I think the rock one was worse though, the first half of it was nearly as plain as freshwater. The second half was cool at least.

I think for dragon we'll get a remix of dragon's den + dragonspiral tower. I thought normal had all its pokemon covered already but I guess not.

Yes. They are all awesome but there are rather few of them. Also, some, like Heatran, Cobalion, Lucario and Bronzong, featured in the other type videos. I kinda expected Dialga here, but I suppose he'll feature along with the other dragons. Genesect and Registeel filled in the Legendary slot here, and it was damn awesome anyways.

Yes. They are all awesome but there are rather few of them. Also, some, like Heatran, Cobalion, Lucario and Bronzong, featured in the other type videos. I kinda expected Dialga here, but I suppose he'll feature along with the other dragons. Genesect and Registeel filled in the Legendary slot here, and it was damn awesome anyways.

Your favorite Steel type wasn't included tho :[ Wormadam

I'm in the process of watching these again, and I must say, Steel was pretty cool and active.

Aaaargh, do not mention that Trash (literally) again; I'm glad it didn't show its ignominious self in the Steel video and sully its purity.

And yes, I'm at least glad that Magnezone got its spot nicely. Alongside Colress, but still prominent.

oh man i feel like watching these will punish itself; the next time i open youtube with a friend it'll be all "DO YOU WANNA WATCH EPISODE 561 OF THE POKÉMON ANIME? Finnish dub 'cause Finnish dub is the best dub.

it's too bad we didn't know about this sooner so viri could have submitted his own magnezone. i'm impressed by this guy that apparently sits and animates all the static images ppl have submitted.