Gamefreak lets you balance a single Pokemon for the next main Pokemon game (With restrictions)...

Personthing

Gamefreak gives you free reign to make 3 changes to any single Pokemon during development of the next main series Pokemon game. However, you can only make any of these changes: 1: Give a Pokemon a move that you can justify for making sense (you can make all three of your changes this). 2: Give a Pokemon an ability that makes sense (You can only do this once) , and 3: give any one of the base stats of the Pokemon a 10 point boost (You can only do this one once as well).

What would you do?

I'll start off. My Pokemon alteration of choice would be Typhlosion.

My 3 changes: 1: Give Typhlosion Earth Power. It's the Volcano Pokemon, and it not knowing Earth Power is kind of ridiculous when fellow Volcano Pokemon Entei knows Earth Power. 2: Give Typhlosion Discharge. This one may seem like a bit of an odd choice, but Typhlosion has always had a somewhat random affinity for electric type moves with it learning Wild Charge and Thunderpunch. 3: Give Typhlosion a 10 point boost to speed. It differentiates it more from Charizard, and it's helpful to it's main niche of spamming Eruption.

Edited by Mighty Kamina

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok me i choose aerodactyll 1 and 2 give it brave bird and head smash means even though it got a mega its still so unappreciated cause of a lack of good stab moves with mostly aerial ace being in use but with this normal aerodactyl may come more into play to seeing as it is 3.givr it 10 point boost in attk cause it deserves a spot in the ou tier in its normal form

Alright, I'll bite.

My Pokemon submission for a three-point overhaul is Hitmonchan.

hitmonchan.gif

First order of business is to provide it with the move Knock Off. Hitmonchan is the only Hitmon without access to the move, and being also without access to Scrappy, Ghost type Pokemon force it to reach into the bag of Elemental Punches if it wants to even think about doing damage to them. As far as rationalizing why Hitmonchan should have the move - the term used in boxing when defeating an opponent by their not getting off the canvas within the countdown is knock-out. A fairly similar term to "Knock-off". On top of that, Boxing also has illegal moves that are completely legal in the sense of the Pokemon battling - and boxers still use them occasionally. It's either I campaign for this move or Sucker Punch.

Secondly, in the spirit of Boxing, I would ask that Hitmonchan get the move Heal Bell. This request is slightly odd when it comes to viability, but is to make up for perhaps an over emphasis on it in the first point to where I was stretching it's rational reasoning. In between rounds in a boxing match, the boxer's trainers attend to any wounds inflicted that would hinder their chances of victory in a fight. You know what hinders Hitmonchan's chances in a fight? a BURN. Hitmonchan having Heal Bell in it's moveset would allow it to effectively visit the trainers and get that burn removed during the match. This was more fun than asking for Guts or No Guard as an ability, because we don't need a Conkeldurr or Machamp clone, and Iron Fist combined with Mach Punch gives it a nice niche in NU.

Thirdly, I would propose that Hitmonchan gain a 10 point boost in Speed. Boxers come in all different shapes and they all use different tactics. Several of them rely on landing as many jabs as possible. With the jab, speed is a very important part of execution, as it's not a power punch. Giving Hitmonchan a boost in speed won't change the game too much for it competitively, but again, no boxer is the same - and boosting it's speed would make it much faster than it's other Gen I punching (or MMA fighting) counterpart in Machamp, who relies on power.

My goal with this Pokemon wasn't so much trying to make it as viable as possible so much as it was trying to differentiate it from Machamp. While 'Champ focuses on sheer power, Chan seems to be the type of Pokemon that appreciates countering it's opponent, with better defenses and speed.

Oh wait this is a hypothetical scenario. I thought Game Freak was really doing this for a moment o.O

Very well, my pick is a Pokemon that has consistently held a position in my personal top 5 of fav Pokemon throughout the generations: Nidoking. A great Pokemon with a fantastic movepool and a unique typing, the bit guy has been given a lot of potential in Gen 5, with Sheer Force becoming its new HA... And then it has been prevented from making the most out of it. The main issue back in Gen 5 was that, while its best offensive stat was obviously Atk, all its best moves to abuse its ability made use of its mediocre SpAtk: so come Gen 6, Game Freak remedied to this by giving a 10 points boost to... ITS ATK? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that Nidoking's original identity as physical attacker should be preserved, but I find it absolutely ridiculous that its Atk would be boosted without giving the guy some tools to make the most of it. Therefore, rather than suggesting a new ability, I will suggest 2 new moves and a stat boost.

1) GUNK SHOT. Seriously, a STAB Gunk Shot with the LO+Sheer Force boost would be NUCLEAR, and with the sheer amount of non-Poison physical attackers that get it (and even mixed ones like Greninja), I just fail to see why Nidoking would be left without it. The conspicuous lack of such an obvious move on a Pokemon like this is something that has always annoyed me, so my first order of action would be to remedy to it.

2) Waterfall: an interesting coverage option that should not be overlooked, although Ice Punch would probably be better. The guy already gets Surf AND Whirlpool, so why not Waterfall?

3) The stat boost goes to Spe. With base 95 Spe, it would be easier for it to revenge kill stuff and/or force switches, while still relying on Life Orb, which is without a doubt the best item for it.

I would improve dedenne.

1)Give it moonblast or at least dazzling gleam. It is a special fairy type without any special fairy moves. That's just mean.

2)Give it levitate I'd give it static or something else that might be annoying. Cheek pouch is pretty good though.

3)10 points to speed to make its relevantly good special attack more helpful.

can i change my answer if so let me apologize for my hasty answer with aerodactyl but it was on my mind and i projected my view on it to soon but the pokemon that deserves boost the most is regigigas if you just remove its horrible ability its the strongest normal type and an easy entry to ubers with a decent ability OU just by the sheer stats its just insulting that GF constantly puts it on the sidelines so much i forgot about it for a second but still but its a legendary and trio master on that it needs recognition

1:Give it a hidden ability and make it moldbreaker why you may ask if its not hindered by slow start its gonna be faster and hit harder and mold breaker cause it once had a terrible ability now its gonna shut down all other abilities,

2:Give it 10 stat point boost in speed why cause it will become fastest hardest hitting tank in the game.

3:Give it protect and rest why you may ask it needs that well almost every pokemon that learns tms learns these moves so about time.

Oh wait this is a hypothetical scenario. I thought Game Freak was really doing this for a moment o.O

So did I.

Anyway, I wanna change Pyroar for no reason. I dont even know what to change LOL just to have an answer and give you guys idea lol

My pokemon of choice for alteration will be Luxray, and these are changes i would make

1. For starters, give Luxray Energy Ball/Grass Knot for ground coverage, before you dismiss it on the ground that Luxray isn't grass type, hear me out, my justification is that Vulpix/Grumpig/Girafarig etc also get Energy Ball/GrassKnot, and Luxray lives in the wild, it can derive energy from plants. It can be bred into Luxray as egg move

2. Ability wise give Luxray Competitive for special attack variant of Luxray(95 special attack is actually decent enough to work around), plus it complements forementioned moves

3. Give Luxray 10 point for its much desired speed stat, allowing it to at least outspeed some of its major threat.

Let's go with Glaceon shall we?

1. As much as I hate to admit it, Glaceon has an extremely shallow movepool. Having moves like Grass Knot, Dazzling Gleam, Earth Power will make it more viable.

2. Both of its current abilities rely heavily on hail. I don't really have a good suggestion at the moment, but a less-situational ability would be nice (e.g Refrigerate, Serene Grace etc.)

3. 110 Defense and 95 Special Defense is nothing to scoff at... but 65 HP? Really?? Come on Gamefreak.

3. 110 Defense and 95 Special Defense is nothing to scoff at... but 65 HP? Really?? Come on Gamefreak.

Problem is, Eeveelutions have set stats. Like, they all have base 130 in something, base 95 in something, and so on so forth. So this is the one Pokemon you cannot mindlessly give a stat boost to I am afraid :/

326MS.png

- Give Grumpig Magic Bounce - I guess the status moves would bounce off its belly. It would probably replace Own Tempo, as pigs are known for being fat gluttons.

- Give Grumpig a 20 boost to its HP, making it more wall-y, what it's supposed to be in PU, rip.

- idk for the last one, maybe give it Recover for a reliable way of healing? I believe the only healing move it gets is Rest...

Zebstrika gets a fairly good Special movepool, and Lightning Rod can help it get the extra SpA it needs, but... it really doesn't get the moves to make the most of its 100 Attack; why not start by bridging that gap a little with 80 + 10 SpA, as it already has enough speed to move before any non-scarfed Ground-type, bar Dugtrio, Arceus, and Greninja (not that the lattermost will necessarily be that).

Afterward, give it two attacks; first, Ice Beam (by TM). Before you say "That makes no sense," look at what gets it almost nonsensically: Raticate, Tauros, Furret... Normal types with no real connection to Ice-types, and hardly any reason to want this move. I'll admit, though, the lack of Electric types that get it does make for a shaky argument (Arceus, Chinchou, Lanturn). If not, give it Energy Ball, for the same reasons provided for Luxray by TimTim.

Then (assuming that even happens .-.) give it Dark Pulse, a move recently given to another Electric-type that has even less reason to have it: Helioptile (Named based off the sun, give it Dark Pulse). Failing that, given my lack of anything else to put here, Synchronoise, one of the worst powerful Psychic attacks. "Using an odd shock wave, the user inflicts damage on any Pokémon of the same type in the area around it" Oh, look, the late TM34 makes an appearance. (Only saying this one because I know Focus Miss wouldn't fly... or would it?)

Now to think of how to argue for a better physical movepool instead, because Sap Sipper.

[better arguments than those shown in this post]

It's either I campaign for [Knock Off] or Sucker Punch.

Surprise Attack does not make as much sense with boxing as the argument, outside of a blow from the corner of your eye; Knock Off is more likely.

Edited by Cobalt996

I'd love to boost Lilligant but I got stuck on the 3rd change after a quick speed boost and access to Fiery Dance. If anyone's got any ideas on how you could add to that I'm all ears.

As for what I'll contribute, I'll boost Heliolisk. Everyone knows that Dry Skin, Thunder, and Surf make him great in the rain, but I want to buff his Solar Power variant to be really viable as well.

Firstly let's give him Solar Beam. Honestly it's a bit confusing that a lizard that no doubt suns itself regularly, has access to Solar Power, and who's very frill is shaped like a child's rendition of the sun doesn't already have this move, but it'd be great for any Heliolisk on a sun team. Giving it the ability to use a grass type move rather than a water type one to hit ground types would be a godsend, and it would also help get past rock types that can switch in on your spammable Hyper Voice.

The second thing I want to do is give Heliolisk Heat Wave. When thinking about a fire type move to give our sun 'lisk there were three obvious choices: Fire Blast, Flamethrower, and Heat Wave. Of the three I chose Heat Wave not only because it's very unusual to find a pokemon that can learn Fire Blast but not Flamethrower, or vice versa, but also because Heat Wave is the only fire type move I can realistically see a Heliolisk using. Maybe that's because the primary inspiration for this pokemon is found in the Australian deserts, and I speak from experience when I say they are pretty damn hot.

The third one is gonna be a stat boost. Honestly with the newfound power that Heliolisk would pick up from Solar Power I don't think it needs a boost to its special attack so I'll put this one in speed, letting it jump up to a frighteningly fast 119.

Problem is, Eeveelutions have set stats. Like, they all have base 130 in something, base 95 in something, and so on so forth. So this is the one Pokemon you cannot mindlessly give a stat boost to I am afraid :/

I'm aware of that. But one can dream, right? :P

I mean, its probably the only Eeveelution with a bad stat distribution (maybe Leafeon too but I think Leafeon's is better than poor Glaceon's)

And? the stats are still badly distributed, being an ice type thus needing speed and power

Hmm you seem to be quite offensive with your comment. 130 SpA is pretty solid, and Scarf Glaceon is actually decent.

Speed Boost Slaking

My pokemon of choice is Leavanny.

1. Change the ability to Adaptability. Essentially Leavanny is a bug that was trying to meld in with its suroundings in order to avoid predators. Instead of leeching off of the plants it lives on and with (like other bugs do) this one evolved into a part-Grass type, meaning it survived while being in harmony with its environment. In few words, it adapted in a benign way. One could still argue that being part-Bug means it can still harm plants, but I'd argue that evolution usually keeps all beneficial traits and in our case keeping the bug typing was for the best, since it now can be one of the few pokemon that can boast a X4 ground resistence. Our ability of choice is no other than Adaptability. In this way it also makes a yin-yang with Beedrill, another Bug type that changed (and even gained a mega evolution) by being forced to adapt in its environment. Beedrill did it against the enviornment, Leavanny along with it.

2. As you can see, Leavanny's movepool has many special moves but no base stats to abuse them. This is yet another indicator of evolution and how it has changed our pokemon in more ways than one, turning it from a small powerless special attacker into the ninja of the jungle, hiding in the wild and abusing its speed to slice down its opponents without them even seeing it coming. Even if the attacking core changed, the purpose remained the same: attack from the shadows and cause damage to your opponent bit by bit. The proposed move is Shadow Sneak, since it shows the theme we are trying to build for this pokemon. From a competitive standpoint, it also gives Leavanny a method of attacking faster attackers with priority and slashing them down. Sure it's not its cup of tea, but it will do anything to survive.

3. However, Leavanny does not have enough tools for proper survival, at least not yet. Leavanny has some Atk and Spe that it can use to its benefit and actually be very confident in dealing damage to every type of opponent. Speedy ones are usually not so tough, so it can deal lots of damage with few hits, while the more tanky lack speed, and Leavanny has more than enough. What it does not have (and needs) to prove its worth is enough HP. Alright, no amount of health bars is enough unless you are Blissey. However, a +10 boost in HP is enough to help Leavanny survive a couple more hits. Given how many weaknesses its typing has, the few more hits it will tank will make a difference and have the potential to change the course of a fight.

Recapitulating, we took a mediocre pokemon, that is listed very low according to smogon and the competitive scene in general, but is one of the best new gen designs, has a theme (compared to other pokemon) and a great amount of potential. What we did was work on its theme, point out which parts of the mythos needed tinkering, and came up with an improved version of the pokemon that makes it more feared in combat. It is now a proud plant-ninja that can and will bring its foes to their knees. back me up here Etesian

However, a +10 boost in HP is enough to help Leavanny survive a couple more hits. Given how many weaknesses its typing has, the few more hits it will tank will make a difference and have the potential to change the course of a fight.

I disagree with this. Even with the boost you suggest, the poor guy has so many weaknesses that for it, survivability is more or less an optional. Plus there is the fact that, as you said, it has "evolved into being the ninja of the jungle", so I think a +10 Spe would be much better both in terms of concept and in terms of competitive role. A Jolly base 102 Spe Pokemon is going to outspeed a lot of stuff if you give it a Choice Scarf (and scarves are typical of ninjas!) and, with Adaptability (which is a good idea, kudos for that), the guy would be able to dish out reasonable amounts of damage even without boosts to its output (Life Orb etc). Oh and speaking of Choice Scarf: U-TURN. Why in the green hell doesn't Leavanny get U-turn?

I know, and it makes more sense for it to be faster than... kinda bulkier, I just thought that for a lower tier like UU or NU a scarfed Leavanny with a base 92 is still going to outspeed most of the tier, plus I could hear Hukuna's voice speaking to my subconscious and asking me "are you putting speed again?" so I refrained.

But yes, we'll go for speed, as it gives Leavanny more options, and the ability to abuse LO.

I would add U-turn too but the whole concept of ninjas made S-neak a priority.

Let's go Lilligant~

1. Give Lilligant and Xerneas Earth Power, so it has a no-Normal/Grass-type move that isn't Dream Eater or Hidden Power.

2. A +10 to Speed for better Sleep Powder shenanigans.

3. The ability Simple so Quiver Dance is absolutely borked. :D

It gets a Mega Too

Flygon:

Gains Dragon Dance (Level 58 or so)

+10 Speed

Hidden Ability: Dry Skin

Mega Ability: Terraform (Normal moves become ground moves x1.3)

Flygon

80/100/80/80/80/110

Mega Flygon

80/140/100/85/100/125

+1 252 Atk Mega Flygon Return (Terraform) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 204-241 (58.0 - 68.5%)

:)

Today ladies and gentlemen we will be looking at Phione, quite possibly one of the most unfortunate and mistreated pokemon ever to be created. Even though the whole even stat distribution thing is kind of chained onto it I would probably give it +10 SpA, the move hurricane (It likes warm water, which is where hurricanes form), and the ability wonder skin to go with the wonder egg. I would honestly give it more but hopefully if it ever got these three boosts it could rise above...PU OTL