Brawlhalla

Arkhi

Everyone knows the Smash series- Super Smash Bros, Melee, Brawl, Smash 4, and the associated spinoffs. They're all for Nintendo consoles, so an active, dedicated, and FREE parallel that exists on PC is tricky to come across. Well, Brawlhalla's done that, albeit while in open beta. If you've not yet heard of it, check it out on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/291550/

The game currently features different playable characters called legends, each with a unique combination of two weapons, including Swords, Axes, Hammers, Katars and more. Narrowed further down, each legend has their own stat distribution, which can be further modified through the use of stances to modify the stat distribution. Similar to Smash, yet less diverse, each legend shares light attacks for similar weapons, yet each has unique heavy attacks. Combining these light attacks, heavy attacks, weapon throwing, gadget throwing, and dodging, whittle up your enemy's damage meter before landing the final blow. It's basic enough to learn, yet deep enough to require time investment to master.

Features of the game include:

-19 different legends, each with unique stats and weapon combinations

-Skins/colors to customize your legend- some of which are purchasable with the in-game currency won after non-private matches, located in the Mallhalla

-A Ranked Battle and competitive scene

-Frequent updates to adjust in-game content, change the legend free rotation, and add Steam Workshop player-created content

-A button you can press after matches that says "gg" for you. That's what was really needed

-Minigames like Brawlball that no one seems to care about

+More stuff I'm forgetting off the top of my head

In this thread, discuss all things Brawlhalla. As it stands, until a dedicated fanbase in Reborn is established, the thread might be a bit stale, so feel free to use it to discuss anything pertaining to the game, ask for tips, set up tournaments, or establish parties for custom matches.

Cute lil' list of those who play it (let me know if you do and would like to be added) (WIP) :

Myself (Steam username: Arkhidon)

Eternal Edge

Rosesong
Hukuna

Kiozo

Fluxator

Quinn (aka Koumei [aka Renzo])

Dobby the Elf

Felix the Cat (aka GeneralGuy)

For the information of those who do pick it up. It runs on a system similar to League of Legends. 6 of the characters will be free any given week and you can play them through-out the week. You earn Legends of course, by gaining an in-game currency ((which as of typing can be earned even for friendly matches.))called gold. This lets you pick up Heros as you play and add them to your roster permanently.

Alternatively i think there's a 20$ option that will unlock all the current Legends and I believe any Legends that come out later ((I'd have to read the wording on that.)) It's basically like... purchasing it as if it was a full game. SO you can either earn your characters or, just get them all in one chunk.

As for now the Roster is pretty small, 6 Free Legends a Week is pretty generous and it does give you a nice spread every week of Legends that use a different mix of weapons. Basically... I picked it up yesterday but having a blast already. ((all of them still think I'm full of it when I say that I'm not good at Fighting games etc... and still don't believe it was the first time I played yesterday lol.))

I'll pop in to confirm that I do play the game now that I've tried it and would be up to play with whoever wants to. It's different from Smash via the lack of special moves and whatnot, but really fun as its own game. Steam ID is Fluxator for anyone curious, as it says in the OP. I'm the only Fluxator on Steam as of now, so I should be pretty easy to find.

I just wish there was a mode for online 1v1. Unless there is and I'm just missing it. I still haven't really figured out all of their menu options.

I just wish there was a mode for online 1v1. Unless there is and I'm just missing it. I still haven't really figured out all of their menu options.

There is a 1v1 option, but only for Ranked. And really, Ranked matches don't mean much unless you really want to climb the ladder, so that's one place to get in some 1v1s.

Hattori is ranked highest in the competitive battling scene. She's got above average dexterity, which means her attacks come out quick- and she recovers quicker still thanks to her high speed. Plus her heavy attacks provide a ton of flexibility. The spear down heavy has an insane hitbox and damage output... if she lands it. Otherwise, that's an easy free hit on her. Her sword down heavy is also pretty sweet for juking out any non-spear user going in for a hit. Sorta like Ember's katars down heavy.

• 4 weeks later...