Who here doesn't rename their Pokemon? Who renames them?

Kaneki

While browsing in this site (and others), I noticed that most players rename their Pokemon. Y is dat so.

Who here doesn't rename their Pokemon? *raises hands* I do not rename them (when I started playing Pokemon till now) since I really like their name. Wooo. How 'bout you guys?

As for those who rename them, why do you do so?

Just curious.

Edited by Kaneki

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rename my Pokemon most of the time.

I've been playing Pokemon a long time and their normal names gets boring after the third play through. Giving them a unique name helps identify them as yours. I try to give them good names (actual people names or thematic names) and not offensive ones. If I can't think of anything I'll leave them as they are.

In addition, I've recently been playing nuzlocke challenges so I am required to name them. It's become a habit.

You guys have some point but I still can't find a reason to rename them; I want to but I can't think of a good one! HAHAHA

Going offtopic, I often see that Nuzlocke term; what is it?

A 'nuzlocke' is a form of gameplay which gives several restrictions upon the player - one of the major rules being that once a Pokemon faints, it is considered 'dead' and you have to deposit it in your PC forever. Another important rule is that you can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter on each route.

I normally only name Pokemon that I'm going to use, or legendaries that just need a name (like Butt-plug the Zekrom, or Strawbunny the Uxie? I forgot which of that trio has a pink head). When playing as myself, I always include a M-Gallade named Matt-Boy because of my old superhero self, and a Glaceon named Lulitha after an OC that is the reason my Glaceon is wearing a red scarf. When playing as my wife (which I do sometimes XD), I have a Mareep named after her favorite brand of yarn, and only have pink Pokemon on my team.

That being said, the two of us have a mutual friend who makes a conscious effort to not nickname her Pokemon. She isn't as good at making spur-of-the-moment decisions as I am (and even I suck at naming certain Pokemon), and feels put on the spot.

• Global Mods

I don't nickname my Pokemon in-game because of the character limit and now with Gen 6 because of the name filter that does more harm than good. But I've thought of nicknames for every fully evolved and standalone Pokemon (including alternate forms in some cases, and all 28 Unown) and I use them on a Pokemon adoptables site I'm a member of.

I don't nickname my Pokemon in-game because of the character limit and now with Gen 6 because of the name filter that does more harm than good. But I've thought of nicknames for every fully evolved and standalone Pokemon (including alternate forms in some cases, and all 28 Unown) and I use them on a Pokemon adoptables site I'm a member of.

Oh man, you're telling me

I had a Scizor nicknamed "CircumScizor", but I had to cut it to CircumSciz because of the character limit

I'm still salty from that, I'd nickname everything if I could bypass that character limit

• Veterans

I only rename my pokemon if I actually can think of names at that point in time.

but if im really uncreative at that point i usually just call one of my mons assmaster and think of other names later lmAO